Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1656784 - 01/26/12 09:22 PM Loan amount
dac Offline
100 Club
For HMDA purposes what defines application. We had a loan declined due to unable to verify income. The lender completed the LAR and stated they had no loan amount. This sounds more like a prequalification and not an application which would not be HMDA reportable. The bank does not have a preapproval program.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1656800 - 01/26/12 09:38 PM Re: Loan amount dac
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
1. Consistency with Regulation B.
Board interpretations that appear in the official staff commentary to Regulation B (Equal Credit Opportunity, 12 CFR part 202, Supplement 1) are generally applicable to the definition of an application under Regulation C. However, under Regulation C the definition of an application does not include prequalification requests.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#1656923 - 01/27/12 01:11 PM Re: Loan amount Adam Witmer
dac Offline
100 Club
So if the loan was denied we would be required to send an AAN to the borrower under Reg B and not knowing the loan amount it would not be HMDA reportable because it's not an application according to Reg C.

Return to Top
#1656935 - 01/27/12 01:27 PM Re: Loan amount dac
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The absence of a loan amount does not make the application a pre-qualification for HMDA purposes. If you had an identified property you had an application for reporting purposes.

Return to Top
#1657121 - 01/27/12 04:19 PM Re: Loan amount dac
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
What Dan said, if the purpose is purchase and no property identified, it's a prequal and not HMDA reportable. If the purpose is HI or refi, it is reportable.

(I had one LO try to sell me on a prequal for refi, ummmm, no, you have a property.) grin

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM