Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1657185 - 01/27/12 05:01 PM TDR triggers for loan
Allie Offline
New Poster
Hoping I am in the proper forum for this question!!!
We (the Bank)have a customer relationship with several loans, all of which have matured.
The Loan Officer wrote up the credit extension for 90 days in order to allow collection of financials from customer and would then restructure with amortization, etc.; however, the approving Committee has instructed the LO to identify the ONE of the loans as a TDR???
We have made NO concession to the borrower (i.e.; rate reduction, principal forgiveness or payment reduction) through any modification or otherwise.
I am really apprehensive about reporting this loan, since, in my opinion, it is not validated by the "triggers" I would associate with reporting a loan as a TDR.
Anyone out there agree with my gut instinct?? Thanks for any reply!!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1657218 - 01/27/12 05:58 PM Re: TDR triggers for loan Allie
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
From what you've wrote I tend to agree. A 90 day extension to allow the lender to gather further financial information doesn't seem like the basis of TDR.

Perhaps the loan approval will include additional information that supports this decision?

You could consider creating a "Troubled Debt Restructuring Form" to document and justify how the TDR designation was arrived upon?

Our loan approval starts the process with:
Is the borrower experiencing financial difficulty?
Has concession been granted?
If yes to both questions please complete and attach "Troubled Debt Restructuring and Impairment Analysis" Form.

Return to Top
#1657240 - 01/27/12 06:15 PM Re: TDR triggers for loan HRH Okie Banker
Allie Offline
New Poster
Originally Posted By: Okie Banker
From what you've wrote I tend to agree. A 90 day extension to allow the lender to gather further financial information doesn't seem like the basis of TDR.

The LO even sites in the write-up that the borrower is current on the debt and believes they will remain able to service the debt.

Thanks for the reply, and that is a good idea about the identification form. I'm in Loan Admin, so I'm sure I'll get some flack for putting yet another dasterdly form in the folder for them to complete wink

Return to Top
#1657260 - 01/27/12 06:38 PM Re: TDR triggers for loan Allie
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
The bank granting a concession is the major issue when identifying a TDR.

Return to Top
#1657262 - 01/27/12 06:42 PM Re: TDR triggers for loan Allie
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
Also, remind your Committee that "once a TDR, always a TDR" until the relationship ends or the loan is paid-off (not refinanced with you).

Return to Top
#1657268 - 01/27/12 06:47 PM Re: TDR triggers for loan Allie
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster

Return to Top
#1657390 - 01/27/12 08:51 PM Re: TDR triggers for loan Allie
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Allie
Originally Posted By: Okie Banker

The LO even sites in the write-up that the borrower is current on the debt and believes they will remain able to service the debt.

Thanks for the reply, and that is a good idea about the identification form. I'm in Loan Admin, so I'm sure I'll get some flack for putting yet another dasterdly form in the folder for them to complete wink

I you'd like to PM me your email I would be glad to share our form. It will at least give you a place to start without reinventing whole wheel.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z