Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1657439 - 01/27/12 09:23 PM Flood Determination on a portion of property
MiMi Offline
Gold Star
MiMi
Only a portion of customer's property was determined to be in flood hazard area. Is the customer still required to purchase flood insurance? Full Amount? Is there any room for argument?
Thanks

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#1657447 - 01/27/12 09:28 PM Re: Flood Determination on a portion of property MiMi
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
When you say 'property' are you speaking of the land or the structure? I believe that if any part of the structure is in the flood hazard area, it's treated as if the whole structure was. However, if only part of the customer's land is in the flood hazard area, I believe you can (sorry don't know the details), get a survey to establish the location of the structure to determine if it is in the flood hazard area. I'm sure others know the particulars.

Return to Top
#1657451 - 01/27/12 09:36 PM Re: Flood Determination on a portion of property MiMi
WI Banker Offline
Gold Star
If you can show the vendor that none of the structures are in the SFHA (map from county website, appraisal, survey), they will update the determination and no insurance will be required.

If any structures are all or partially located in the SFHA, insurance is required on those structures.

Return to Top
#1657468 - 01/27/12 09:47 PM Re: Flood Determination on a portion of property MiMi
MiMi Offline
Gold Star
MiMi
Thank you

Return to Top
#1659729 - 02/02/12 03:56 PM Re: Flood Determination on a portion of property MiMi
ComplianceNerd Offline
Gold Star
Texas ...
The way I've always explained to lenders in regards to a portion of the building being in a flood zone was this: Once that corner of the building becomes part of the flood zone, you might as well condsider the whole building to be in a flood zone, most buildings and homes are level.

Otherwise, as stated by WI Banker if it's a portion of the land without improvements and a survey can prove that then you wouldn't need insurance.
Last edited by ETX L Complaince; 02/02/12 03:57 PM.

Return to Top