Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1658657 - 01/31/12 08:45 PM Convenience Signer vs Authorized Signer
Connie D Offline
New Poster
Florida
I need clarification regarding authorized signers on a Sole Proprietor account. Some of the FL Dep Acct Admin workbooks state that authorized signers on a Sole Proprietorship account must be clearly labeled as Convenience Signers (January 2011 most recently), while others state that authorized signers must be clearly labeled as an Authorized Signer (Advanced - July 2011).

Which is the correct way? We have always labeled them as authorized signers however recently someone looked up the answer in one of the workbooks that states we should use Convenience Signer and are now questioning the current procedures.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1658661 - 01/31/12 08:47 PM Re: Convenience Signer vs Authorized Signer Connie D
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
In my experience, "a rose is a rose is a rose," and "convenience signer" and "authorized signer" were two names for the same concept.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1658958 - 02/01/12 02:52 PM Re: Convenience Signer vs Authorized Signer Connie D
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I've never been able to discern a difference...either you can sign, or you can't...

Return to Top
#1659876 - 02/02/12 05:42 PM Re: Convenience Signer vs Authorized Signer Connie D
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I think that the custom in some regions is to use "authorized signer" for business accounts and "convenience signer" for personal. But I don't know that there's any legal difference. It's possible, I suppose, for a state law to address the matter of authorized signers using specific terminology, but I can't cite any examples.
Last edited by John Burnett; 02/02/12 05:43 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1659886 - 02/02/12 06:05 PM Re: Convenience Signer vs Authorized Signer Connie D
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think this is the best you can get. A call to the author of the book might be in order to see on what they might be basing their advice or change in advice as the case may be.

Florida Statute

655.80 Convenience accounts

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett