Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1661490 - 02/07/12 02:48 PM Attorney Client Loans
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
We will loan a consumer money with the attorney as a co-borrower. On HPML loans, we must prove income on the attorney? Is that correct? The attorney in one particular case gave a financial statement that was self stated. In my opinion this isn't actually proof....Loan officers are already upset because they don't think that we should have to prove income on our attorney client loans.....How should we handle this?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1661520 - 02/07/12 03:29 PM Re: Attorney Client Loans La. Lady
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You must verify the income and assets relied on to determine the ability to repay. See the Commentary to 226.34(a)(4)(ii) Verification of repayment ability.

Return to Top
#1661555 - 02/07/12 04:22 PM Re: Attorney Client Loans Dan Persfull
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Thanks...

Return to Top
#1661562 - 02/07/12 04:30 PM Re: Attorney Client Loans La. Lady
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Not to your question, however: Why would an attorney personally co-sign a loan with a client? It would totally jeopardize the attorney-client relationship? I have never seen this in all my days of banking...... Something smells a little fishy here.

Return to Top
#1661581 - 02/07/12 05:06 PM Re: Attorney Client Loans rlcarey
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
I don't know why they do it and of course, I don't know anything about the laws regarding attorney client relationships..... All I know is that I've been here for almost 30 years, and we have always had such loan. Examiners review them and have never indicated that this is a problem.....but as we all know there is always a first time...

Return to Top
#1661595 - 02/07/12 05:39 PM Re: Attorney Client Loans rlcarey
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
Not to your question, however: Why would an attorney personally co-sign a loan with a client? It would totally jeopardize the attorney-client relationship? I have never seen this in all my days of banking...... Something smells a little fishy here.

I wondered the same thing. I have never come across this and would be very suspicious if I saw an attorney guaranteeing a loan to a client.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z