Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1508129 - 02/10/11 05:54 PM MLO Compensation Policy
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Where does the MLO Compensation policy rest in your bank? Is it part of HR or do you have a stand alone policy? Does anyone have a policy or part of a policy they could share?

Return to Top
#1508798 - 02/11/11 03:50 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy Soccer
cbrewster Offline
100 Club
Our bank would love some guidance on this as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
#1512865 - 02/22/11 04:24 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy cbrewster
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

We actually decided to close our one man mortgage department due to the compensation changes. Guess regulators won again. They want the community banks to fail, one more nail in the coffin.

Return to Top
#1513290 - 02/23/11 01:21 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy
MarieR Offline
Platinum Poster
Are we required to have a policy on MLO compensation?

Return to Top
#1513307 - 02/23/11 01:45 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy MarieR
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
We have 4 different MLOs. 2 full time and 2 part time. Each are paid a flat percentage of their total loan volume in addition to a salary. Compensation is negotiated individually based on their experience, performance and employment status. The agreed upon compensation is maintained in each MLO's personnel file.

Whether they do $100,000 in volume or $1,000,000 in volume they are paid X%. The percentage does no fluctuate based on volume.

Return to Top
#1518431 - 03/07/11 09:00 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy Dan Persfull
Brock Offline
100 Club
Brock
Columbia, MO
We are considering a flat bps structure with a flat charge to the LO on every loan. Does anyone see an issue with this? Here is how it breaks down numbers wise. Loan is for 100k and LO is receiving 100 bps for a total commission of $1000. From the gross commission we subtract a flat fee of $500 resulting in a net commssion of $500 to the LO. On the next file the loan amount is 200k and the LO is receiving 100 bps for a total commission of $2000 minus the $500 fee for a net commission of $1500.

Return to Top
#1518460 - 03/07/11 09:39 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy Brock
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Yes, I see a problem with them going for the larger loans which could lead to disparte impact, although is really no different from %/loan amount any way you cut it.
Last edited by RR joker; 03/07/11 09:41 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1518655 - 03/08/11 03:03 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy RR Joker
Brock Offline
100 Club
Brock
Columbia, MO
Thanks for the feedback Joker. I think we are going to institue a minimum and a maximum commission to alleviate those concerns. But are you saying that you don't see an issue with charging that flat fee against gross commssion on every loan as as applied by the lo comp rule.

Return to Top
#1521355 - 03/14/11 05:29 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy Brock
Brock Offline
100 Club
Brock
Columbia, MO
I have another aspect of a potential comp policy that I wanted to see if anyone could comment on. We are considering an alternative to the max dollar figure on compensation. I wanted to see if anyone else had considered this. We want to set a fixed percentage for all loan amounts, but we want it to essentially be on a sliding scale. For example we want to pay 2% for the first $200k of the loan amount and 1% for the next 200k (between 200 and 400k) and .5% for any amount over 500k. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Return to Top
#1521368 - 03/14/11 05:45 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy Brock
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I encourage you to reread the commentary on the new rules as that exact set-up is expressly prohibited going forward.

Return to Top
#1521416 - 03/14/11 06:53 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy #Just Jay
Brock Offline
100 Club
Brock
Columbia, MO
Jay, I read the commentary prior to posting and I tend to agree with you that this is probably prohibited, but I dont' think this scenario is expressly addressed. They discuss a system in which you are paid a flat percentage for any loan up to a certain threshold and a different percentage above that. This is somewhat different in that you still make the same percentage on the first 200k of the loan amount on each loan. Ultimately it is probably no different. I just wanted to see if anyone had considered it.

Ultimately the reason for the post is to have some ammunition when my boss comes back and wants to know why we can't do this.

Return to Top
#1521445 - 03/14/11 07:35 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy Brock
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Federal Register /Vol. 75, No. 185 / Friday, September 24, 2010 /Rules and Regulations page 58521:

In response to commenters’ concerns
that the proposal would provide
originators with no incentive to
originate small loans, the final rule
explicitly permits creditors to establish
minimum or maximum dollar amounts
for loan originator compensation. To
prevent circumvention, the commentary
clarifies that the minimum or maximum
amount may not vary with each credit
transaction. Thus, a creditor could
choose to pay a loan originator 1 percent
of the amount of credit extended for
each loan, but no less than $1,000 and
no more than $5,000. In this case, the
originator is guaranteed payment of a
minimum amount for each loan,
regardless of the amount of credit
extended to the consumer. Using this
example, the creditor would pay a loan
originator $3,000 on a $300,000 loan
(i.e., 1 percent of the amount of credit
extended), $1,000 on a $50,000 loan,
and $5,000 on a $900,000 loan.
However, a creditor may not pay a loan
originator 1 percent of the amount of
credit extended for amounts greater than
$300,000, and 2 percent of the amount
of credit extended for amounts that fall
between $200,000 and $300,000.
In
addition, the Board notes that creditors
are able to use other compensation
methods to provide adequate
compensation for smaller loans, such as
basing compensation on an hourly rate,
or on the number of loans originated in
a given time period.

Return to Top
#1661683 - 02/07/12 07:42 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy Soccer
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
To re-ask the initial question, is this part of a stand alone policy or is it combined with your loan, HR, or other policy? I'm thinking that since it's part of Reg Z, I'm going to put it in the loan policy.
Last edited by Sci_Comply; 02/07/12 08:04 PM.
Return to Top
#1666290 - 02/16/12 05:17 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy Soccer
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Also wondering how banks address chargebacks. Say a loan earns a bank $X. The loan is sold, but pays off early. If the bank is hit with a chargeback on any of the earnings it was paid, is that hit passed on to the MLO?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1666482 - 02/16/12 07:56 PM Re: MLO Compensation Policy Soccer
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
We do not, and IMO opinion, based thus far on the Fed's verbal response to the Mortgage Bankers Association, it is not permitted on a case-by-case basis.

From the MBAs December 2010 letter to Bernanke

Quote:
2. Permissible compensation. If compensation cannot be based on a transaction’s terms, on what can it be based?
A. Fed Response - Compensation that is not based on a loan’s terms may include:
i. The loan originator’s overall loan volume (i.e., total dollar amount of credit extended or total number of loans originated), delivered to the creditor.
ii. The long-term performance of the originator’s loans.
iii. An hourly rate of pay to compensate the originator for the actual number of hours.
iv. Whether the consumer is an existing customer of the creditor or a new customer.
v. A payment that is fixed in advance for every loan the originator arranges for the creditor (e.g., $600 for every loan arranged for the creditor, or $1,000 for the first 1000 loans arranged and $500 for each additional loan arranged).
vi. The percentage of applications submitted by the loan originator to the creditor that results in consummated transactions.
vii. The quality of the loan originator’s loan files (e.g., accuracy and completeness of the loan documentation) submitted to the creditor.
viii. A legitimate business expense, such as fixed overhead costs.
ix. Compensation that is based on the amount of credit extended.

3. For purposes of (ii) above what is meant by long term-performance?

A. Fed Response - The term means any reasonable period of time over which the overall performance of an originator’s loans can be measured including the time in which early payment defaults or payoffs occur. “Long term performance” is intended to cover overall performance of the originator’s loans not the performance of individual loans. The language was not intended to require or permit loan-by-loan claw back based on loan performance. Lenders can consider early payment default or payoffs in overall loan originations of the originator with regard to the originator’s future compensation or bonuses.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z