Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#166853 - 03/05/04 05:46 PM employee kiting
HubbaBubba Offline
Gold Star
We suspect an employee of kiting with at least two other banks.

First, I have never had to investigate this type of situation before and NEED ANY HELP/ADVICE.

Second, does anyone have a type of "spreadsheet" or something that would make the tracking of deposits/checkwriting simpler other than sitting down and figuring out what money went where to cover what??

Thanks for any help!!!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#166854 - 03/05/04 07:41 PM Re: employee kiting
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
First, you should have a system generated kiting report and assuming that the employee in question shows up on that report, have a discussion with him/her about the situation.

There is really no need to create a spread sheet as current activity will indicate whether or not uncollected funds are being used to fund other transactions. At this point, make sure that a hold is placed on the activity at your end and get the whole situation out in the open to see if it's just an unusual set of circumstances or an intentional uncollected funds kite.

Return to Top
#166855 - 03/05/04 07:42 PM Re: employee kiting
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
If it really is a kite, get out your SAR also.

Return to Top
#166856 - 03/05/04 07:43 PM Re: employee kiting
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Our employee accounts are "free" to our employees. Employees are expected to handle their affairs without the appearance of a conflict. This employee needs to be confronted with the evidence and the account closed. I can't help you with the presentation of the evidence. My evidence would be T-accounts on a piece of paper, I am not high tech.

Return to Top
#166857 - 03/05/04 07:53 PM Re: employee kiting
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Quote:

If it really is a kite, get out your SAR also.

Don't forget that with employee involvement, the SAR trigger drops to $0.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#166858 - 03/05/04 10:29 PM Re: employee kiting
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

First, you should have a system generated kiting report and assuming that the employee in question shows up on that report, have a discussion with him/her about the situation.

You would agree that you still need to review that activity, though, wouldn't you? I haven't seen a system-generated kiting suspect report yet that doesn't have a majority of false positives.

Return to Top
#166859 - 03/08/04 03:45 PM Re: employee kiting
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
When meeting with the suspected employee, some banks use this method:
Make copies of the deposit tickets and the check(s) drawn against each deposit of uncollected funds.
Display these copies on a desk or table and ask the employee to explain....

Return to Top
#166860 - 03/08/04 04:20 PM Re: employee kiting
MidwestCFE Offline
Platinum Poster
MidwestCFE
wish it was the Smoky Mountain...
Most banks I know of, including ours, terminate the employee for kiting..It is an ethical issue as well as a bonding issue..So check with your bonding company regarding when employees commit a crime, especially a financial crime..

Return to Top
#166861 - 03/08/04 04:39 PM Re: employee kiting
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Quote:

Quote:

You would agree that you still need to review that activity, though, wouldn't you? I haven't seen a system-generated kiting suspect report yet that doesn't have a majority of false positives.

Yes, current activity should be reviewed to establish sum sort of pattern to discuss and, as you noted, some kiting reports are better than others.

Return to Top