Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1672597 - 03/02/12 06:48 PM Use Escrow Balance to Bring Account Current
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
Our collectors are insisting that we take funds from the customer's escrow balance to bring the principal and interest payment current. I don't believe we can do that, but can't find the citation. Can anyone point me to that in RESPA?

Return to Top
RESPA
#1672613 - 03/02/12 07:04 PM Re: Use Escrow Balance to Bring Account Current upstateNY
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Try your loan and escrow agreement.

Return to Top
#1672645 - 03/02/12 07:25 PM Re: Use Escrow Balance to Bring Account Current rlcarey
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
Thanks, this particular circumstance does not seem to be addressed.

Return to Top
#1672648 - 03/02/12 07:28 PM Re: Use Escrow Balance to Bring Account Current upstateNY
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
try this If you go to the home page of BOL and use the search box there you can often find answers to questions similar to the one you may have.

Return to Top
#1672690 - 03/02/12 07:56 PM Re: Use Escrow Balance to Bring Account Current Truffle Royale
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
try this If you go to the home page of BOL and use the search box there you can often find answers to questions similar to the one you may have.

Thank you. I had come to the conclusion that we can't apply escrow funds to bring the account current based upon the exact scenario that you found regarding surpluses. My reasoning is that if we can't use a surplus, then we likewise can't take any funds from the escrow balance.

I also found a HUD Q&A that indicates we should look to state law or the mortgage documents. If pushed, I'll ask for written customer permission.

Return to Top
#1672702 - 03/02/12 08:11 PM Re: Use Escrow Balance to Bring Account Current upstateNY
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I've been asked the same question in the past. After much debate, I asked how the bank was going to like having to use its own money to pay the taxes and insurance when they came due. Think about it. You use the escrow to pay the delinquency but you cannot just not pay the insurance or taxes so you have to use more bank funds on top of what you've already lent them. Truly a case of money talks because they heard and dropped the idea.

Return to Top
#1672715 - 03/02/12 08:23 PM Re: Use Escrow Balance to Bring Account Current upstateNY
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Agreed. That's throwing good money after bad, IMHO.

Not to mention you can't play around with an escrow account anyway...its almost like a form of a trust, wouldn't you say?
Last edited by RR Joker; 03/02/12 08:23 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  QCL