Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1673662 - 03/06/12 03:46 PM Re: My sinuses . . . edAudit
Peepers Offline
10K Club
My sinuses are fine, I'm on the Whitney Houston program.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1673703 - 03/06/12 04:19 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
CountryGal Offline
New Poster
CountryGal
God's Country
Originally Posted By: Bagweaver
If you've got an infection, only an antibiotic will clear that up, unfortunately. Z-pac is the best. FWIW, go to the doctor and then starting taking the daily stuff. This is my 3rd infection in 6 months. Never been this bad. I may call to see if my doc will call the Z-pac in so I don't have to take time off work.

Unfortunately my doctor won't just call something in so I have to take off work to go to the doctor, sit in the waiting room for an hour, then in the exam room for another hour, pay God knows how much for that, then pay for the antibiotics! But it may be worth it.

I can't do the nasal spray. I can't spray anything up my nose. I've had people suggest the netty pot and I can't do that either. With my luck the water would go up and not come out!

Return to Top
#1673732 - 03/06/12 04:41 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
PStateBank Offline
Gold Star
PStateBank
Texas
Originally Posted By: Bagweaver
If you've got an infection, only an antibiotic will clear that up, unfortunately. Z-pac is the best. FWIW, go to the doctor and then starting taking the daily stuff. This is my 3rd infection in 6 months. Never been this bad. I may call to see if my doc will call the Z-pac in so I don't have to take time off work.

I thought you retired???

I kept getting sinus/ allergy infections. I finally went to the allergy doctor, now I take Clarinex every morning (there is a $25.00 coupon on their website), generic Allegra D and flonase nose spray every night. I still take Benadryl and/or Singulair (very expensive co-pay, I'm patiently waiting for the generic to come out) when my allergies get really bad....

According to the doc I am very allergic to cats, and mildly allergic to maple, oak, and mesquite tress.

Funny thing, my sister is allergic to dogs, pecan trees, and grass.

Return to Top
#1673771 - 03/06/12 05:26 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
:yikes:

isn't PState right in the midst of mesquite and oak?

Return to Top
#1673793 - 03/06/12 05:39 PM Re: My sinuses . . . edAudit
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
My doc has called some drugs into the pharmacy. Of course, it's 50 miles away at home. Think I'll have to leave early today.

Return to Top
#1673797 - 03/06/12 05:41 PM Re: My sinuses . . . PStateBank
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Well, I was retired. One of my former banks called me in to work through exam time. He's trying to talk me into a part-time position but that's a no go. He's lucky I came back for this.

Return to Top
#1673800 - 03/06/12 05:43 PM Re: My sinuses . . . waldensouth
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Had the acid reflux fixed about 3 years ago. I think my sinuses/allergies have gotten worse since then.

Return to Top
#1673814 - 03/06/12 05:56 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Pale Rider
PStateBank Offline
Gold Star
PStateBank
Texas
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
:yikes:

isn't PState right in the midst of mesquite and oak?

Yep!! Everywhere I look there are Mesquites and Oaks, and dumb me, I planted three Maple trees before I found out I was allergic to them!!

My poor sister, there are lots of pecan trees here too!

Return to Top
#1673845 - 03/06/12 06:22 PM Re: My sinuses . . . PStateBank
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
Originally Posted By: PStateBank
Singulair (very expensive co-pay, I'm patiently waiting for the generic to come out) when my allergies get really bad....

That's the only thing that works for me. Period. any of the OTC allergy pills- might as well be m&ms for all the good they do. Even the D stuff- I take it cause it does relieve the pressure when it's mixed with sinus issues, but doesn't help with anything else.

Return to Top
#1673880 - 03/06/12 06:53 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
I've had my nose rota-rootered out 2 years ago. No more sinus infections since. Breathe a lot better too. But the allergies still bug me. This has been a rough year. Probably doesn't help that I can't do allergy shots any longer.

And I'm going to have to ask our allergist about the acid reflux. My daughter had acid reflux. . . (may still have it??) She also has asthma and if we don't kick in the nebulizer soon enough, she ends up with acute bronchitis - like last week.

Return to Top
#1673884 - 03/06/12 06:55 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Are the oak trees blooming? Bagweaver..they are down South of you for sure! wink

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1673899 - 03/06/12 07:05 PM Re: My sinuses . . . NotPerfect
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Originally Posted By: NotPerfect

And I'm going to have to ask our allergist about the acid reflux. My daughter had acid reflux. . . (may still have it??) She also has asthma and if we don't kick in the nebulizer soon enough, she ends up with acute bronchitis - like last week.

That was me. My allergist told me my Acid Reflux only contributed to the problem. I had bronchitis every year, two inhalers, tons of pills (felt like). Once I had the nissen fundiplication, no more acid reflux, no more spending $400- $500 a month on medication, no more bronchitis. Its great!

I am sensitive to changes in the weather - when fronts come thru, I start getting stuffy. But that's about it.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1673982 - 03/06/12 09:03 PM Re: My sinuses . . . RR Joker
PStateBank Offline
Gold Star
PStateBank
Texas
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
Are the oak trees blooming? Bagweaver..they are down South of you for sure! wink

Yesterday, I saw Mesquites beginning to bloom in the pasture. I think the oaks are still carrying last year's leaves, but they should drop off pretty quick. It was 76 here yesterday... smile

Return to Top
#1674056 - 03/06/12 10:25 PM Re: My sinuses . . . RR Joker
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
I think the must br. Of course, the pecan trees give me problems too, but the worst are the oaks. Got some antibiotics. Going to bed shortly. Headache is getting worse.

Return to Top
#1674083 - 03/06/12 11:03 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Sinus infections are through the roof this year! Everyone I talk to has a sinus infection! Most areas of the country have had this bizarre warm then cold then warm then cold cycle, which is making the plants which are usually dormant "wake up" and start blooming/seeding far too early. According to my doctor, this is causing crazy bad allergies and asthma and resulting sinus infections. My veterinarian sister-in-law is also seeing ticks and fleas on dogs in February and March (in Illinois!) this year for the same reasons. The weird weather is affecting everything.

I am a huge believer in using a Neti Pot / Saline Sinus rinse daily. The first time you do it, it's weird and gross, but it helps me so much I don't bat an eye now. And I do it in the shower every morning - no muss, no fuss. I don't get nearly as many sinus infections as I used to, it's cheap and easy, and all natural.

Once you have an infection, however, you definitely need to clear it out with antibiotics. Whenever I get a sinus infection, it's a (prescription) antibiotic, over-the-counter mucinex every 4 hours, 2 claritins a day, and a prescription nasal spray once a day for a week AFTER it's gone.

After you get the infection knocked out, try one generic loratidine (Claritin) a day to keep everything on an even keel.

I would caution people that Benadryl (diphenhydramine) works well for some people but it makes other people REALLY drowsy (I am one of these people) and a very small percentage of people can get so hyper that they are almost manic (my mom has this reaction to Benadryl). And like Walden mentions, be careful with the "D" (decongestant) versions of medicines, they can raise your blood pressure significantly.

Return to Top
#1674145 - 03/07/12 01:32 PM Re: My sinuses . . . BurntSienna
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Started the antibiotic late yesterday afternoon and Allegra Allergy last night. Went to bed and was asleep before 7:30. Woke at 9:30 with a raging headache. Took something for that and went back to sleep. Better this morning, but still feel the pressure and feel that the pain could come back at any time. Have a neti but haven't used it in a while. Didn't think of using it in the shower. Great idea!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to Top
#1674148 - 03/07/12 01:35 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
A_G Offline
10K Club
What antibiotic did you get?

Return to Top
#1674152 - 03/07/12 01:42 PM Re: My sinuses . . . A_G
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Z-pac. Can already tell a difference.

Return to Top
#1674157 - 03/07/12 01:46 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
A_G Offline
10K Club
cool

I also find the z-pak to be less harsh on the stomach (if you know what I mean) than the "-cillins"

Return to Top
#1674206 - 03/07/12 02:26 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
don't use tap water in the neti!!!!

Return to Top
#1674233 - 03/07/12 02:40 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Last year was the neti pot was bad?

Notice no BOL approved smile, hence a real question.
Last edited by EdAudit; 03/07/12 02:41 PM.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1674343 - 03/07/12 04:05 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Wasn't the neti pot linked to some really serious infections last year?

Return to Top
#1674590 - 03/07/12 08:27 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
PStateBank Offline
Gold Star
PStateBank
Texas
I don't know. My sister swears by hers.

Return to Top
#1674591 - 03/07/12 08:31 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
The issue with the neti pot was that people were using tap water and not the recommended distilled or filtered water. Both my hubby and I have one and we use them when we are congested. I feel less stuffy when I use it, so I do recommend them as long as you follow the directions.

Return to Top
#1674593 - 03/07/12 08:34 PM Re: My sinuses . . . Bagweaver
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Neti pots should always be used with either distilled water or water that you yourself have boiled (fast rolling boil) for at least 10 minutes. Either of those processes kills all bacteria. Never use tap water or even filtered water (all filters don't get all bacteria).

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3