Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1674918 - 03/08/12 03:57 PM holds on savings
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a check deposited to a savings account is one listed as a next day item, can we still place a case by case hold on it when depositd to a savings account? Our policy is to make funds deposited available the next business day. We often place holds funds deposited to savings accounts. For deposits to savings accounts We try to follow the same procedures we do for checks deposited to checking accounts.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1674936 - 03/08/12 04:05 PM Re: holds on savings Anonymous
arye23 Offline
Gold Star
Yes. Reg CC hold provisions generally do not apply to savings accounts.

#1674985 - 03/08/12 04:47 PM Re: holds on savings arye23
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: arye23

Fixed. Reg CC doesn't apply to savings/MMDA...you can hold as long as you need to.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

#1675526 - 03/09/12 02:45 PM Re: holds on savings RR Joker
J Hunt Offline
100 Club
Phoenix, AZ
But remember to check state laws as well --- some states require that Savings accounts have Regulation CC hold time frames applied.

#1675658 - 03/09/12 04:44 PM Re: holds on savings RR Joker
arye23 Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
Originally Posted By: arye23

Fixed. Reg CC doesn't apply to savings/MMDA...you can hold as long as you need to.

If there are no state law restrictions and if the bank has not inadvertently included savings accounts in their funds availability policy, then savings and MMDA are excluded from coverage. Since I don't know the state of the OP and what their policy states, my reply used the "generally" umbrella wink

#1675737 - 03/09/12 06:04 PM Re: holds on savings Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
FWIW, I wasn't trying to be a smartie pants. I didn't even think about the possibility of a stricter state law re holds on accounts...although I should have!

But technically speaking of Reg CC...it doesn't apply.

Curiously, to J Hunt...have you seen a state law that uses the verbiage "Reg CC" or EFA in regard to their requirements?

Just purely curious.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

#1675888 - 03/09/12 08:49 PM Re: holds on savings Anonymous
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Check you REG CC/EFAA policy/procedure.

Ours states that we treat non-transaction accounts the same as we do transaction accounts for the purpose of Reg CC.

#1675911 - 03/09/12 09:09 PM Re: holds on savings RR Joker
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod

Curiously, to J Hunt...have you seen a state law that uses the verbiage "Reg CC" or EFA in regard to their requirements?

Just purely curious.

Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 167D, Sec. 35 defines "account" as "any demand deposit, negotiable withdrawal order account, savings deposit, share account or other asset account;" .... and then goes on to require a policy disclosure relating to funds availability, and "except as provided herein [the inclusion of savings and other accounts], such disclosure and relevant availability requirements shall be in accordance with the provisions of the Expedited Funds Availability Act, 12 USC 4001 et seq. and regulations promulgated thereunder."
Bankers' Threads User #8

#1676181 - 03/12/12 02:59 PM Re: holds on savings RR Joker
J Hunt Offline
100 Club
Phoenix, AZ
FWIW, I wasn't trying to be a smartie pants. I didn't even think about the possibility of a stricter state law re holds on accounts...although I should have!

But technically speaking of Reg CC...it doesn't apply.

Just purely curious.

I have referenced this section of Regulation CC for my CA bank clients:
Section 229.20(c)(2) of Regulation CC provides that inconsistency may exist when a state law provides for disclosures or notices concerning funds availability relating to accounts. California Financial Code ยง866.2 requires disclosures that differ from those required by Regulation CC and, therefore, is preempted to the extent that it applies to accounts as defined in Regulation CC. The state law continues to apply to savings accounts and other accounts not governed by Regulation CC disclosure requirements.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale