Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1675541 - 03/09/12 03:02 PM CRA
Rosebud123 Offline
Platinum Poster
Florida
My bank has some funds to invest. Aside from buying loans what else can we do that would be for CRA credit. Someone said purchasing mortgage backed securities????

Return to Top
CRA
#1675569 - 03/09/12 03:29 PM Re: CRA Rosebud123
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
That would work. You find the brokers that package loans from LMI census tracks or LMI borrowers and buy those, or invest in with a firm that will provide evidence that your investment purchased participations in these types of MBS.

With the mess Florida is in, there must be many CD opportunities for years to come down there....

Return to Top
#1675792 - 03/09/12 07:10 PM Re: CRA Rosebud123
Rosebud123 Offline
Platinum Poster
Florida
Another question. I was looking in CRA to the LTD ratio and what is considered adequate. Is there any guidance on that? We are a small bank. Also is there any guidance on how much of our new loan portfolio has to be in our AA. I know it says the majority. Does that mean 51%. Also we have to originate and/or purchase loans in our AA to get a satisfactory. It cannot just be based on investments.

Return to Top
#1675828 - 03/09/12 07:53 PM Re: CRA Rosebud123
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
here is my 2 cents Rosebud, hopefully you will get additional responses to fill in some of the gaps since I am ignorant of small and intermediate banks:

LTD ratio - I think this is calculated by state. So you can compare your bank to the state ratio. Also look at some of your competitor's LTD ratios from the public performance evaluations available from your primary regulator's website.

in and out ratio - Do not fall below 51%, it is majority

I am not clear on your last question. Originated, refi's and purchased loans are all counted in the loan test. And the lending test is 50% of the overall CRA performance rating.

When you say "based on investments", you are not refering to the investment test, are you?

hang on, and let's see what some of the CRA gurus that know the small and intermediate size banks guidelines say....

Return to Top
#1685595 - 04/04/12 03:39 PM Re: CRA Rosebud123
Patricia Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
When calculating the LDT ratios do you exclude the loans sold, for example to FHLB, Freddie etc.? (We sell the loans 100% but retain the servicing.)

Return to Top
#1685619 - 04/04/12 04:10 PM Re: CRA Rosebud123
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
You should calculate your loan to deposit ratio without the sold loans but, if a significant amount, do a second calculation with them included. The adjusted number is part of your performance context...you made the loans and are benefiting your community, therefore should receive credit for them in the exam.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1685668 - 04/04/12 04:52 PM Re: CRA Rosebud123
Patricia Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
Thanks Kathleen.

Return to Top