Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#16786 - 05/02/02 09:12 PM Stop Payments
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
Where do I look for guidance on stop payments that we allow customers to place via the website? Is there anything specific? I've looked at UCC and I've looked at Reg. E.

Also, if we allow customers to place stop payments online, do we have to include an e-mail link for them to be able to contact someone in case the customer has made a mistake on what they entered? (I know it would be good customer service, but is it also required somewhere?)

Thank you!
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
General Discussion
#16787 - 05/03/02 12:48 PM Re: Stop Payments
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Start with the UCC as enacted in your state. Assume that those requirements will continue to apply. Then, look at E-sign. It suggests that you can agree with your customer to accept stop orders (a written document) electronically, with whatever electronic signature you are willing to accept.

You'll want a way to verify customer ID when accepting e-stops. You don't want me sending a stop order on your checks. It may be best to accept stops from within your e-banking application, into which the customer will have been password-verified. Many of these systems have the stop order automatically input to the system, so that manual intervention by your clerks is not needed.

Be sure you put some strong caveats on accuracy of data on your web-stop form. You know the drill. It's probably already plastered on your paper stop form. And, if you already have a customer service number published for the e-impaired -- i.e., your call center -- use that for the customer who either needs to correct his e-error or wants to lift (cancel) the stop.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#16788 - 05/03/02 03:09 PM Re: Stop Payments
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
Thank you John! Looks like we were on the right track - just missing the E-sign link to all this. Appreciate your continued expertise!
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top