Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1678594 - 03/16/12 02:40 PM Line of Credit secured by rental property
notuntermywatch Offline
Gold Star
MN
Customer wants a line of credit, will be secured by one of their rental properties that they own free and clear. Purpose of the loan is for downpayment in purchasing a new primary dwelling.

It's Friday and I'm overthinking, but we would just do a HELOC right (give all the standard HELOC docs)...even though the collateral is not their home but a rental property?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1678659 - 03/16/12 03:44 PM Re: Line of Credit secured by rental property notuntermywatch
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
It's a consumer purpose loan to purchase their primary dwelling. It might depend upon your state, but here, a HELOC is a revolving line of credit secured by the borrower's homestead property. If the customer is making a down payment, why do they need a revolving line of credit?.....or a straight line of credit for that matter?

Return to Top
#1678722 - 03/16/12 04:47 PM Re: Line of Credit secured by rental property notuntermywatch
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
but we would just do a HELOC right (give all the standard HELOC docs)...even though the collateral is not their home but a rental property?

This is a consumer purpose loan therefore it's a HELOC. See the Commentary to 1026.40(1).

Return to Top
#1678744 - 03/16/12 05:13 PM Re: Line of Credit secured by rental property Dan Persfull
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: Dan Persfull
but we would just do a HELOC right (give all the standard HELOC docs)...even though the collateral is not their home but a rental property?

This is a consumer purpose loan therefore it's a HELOC. See the Commentary to 1026.40(1).
1026.40(l) of what?.....pardon my ignorance, please.

Return to Top
#1678747 - 03/16/12 05:15 PM Re: Line of Credit secured by rental property notuntermywatch
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Reg. Z.

Return to Top
#1678753 - 03/16/12 05:18 PM Re: Line of Credit secured by rental property notuntermywatch
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Under the new Consumer Bureau numbering.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1678846 - 03/16/12 07:01 PM Re: Line of Credit secured by rental property notuntermywatch
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Oh geez.....I AM ignorant!

Return to Top
#1678851 - 03/16/12 07:03 PM Re: Line of Credit secured by rental property notuntermywatch
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
And then I got to worrying....that we're not giving proper disclosures. But when I think it through, we do not have an open-ended consumer product secured by anything BUT the consumer's PRINCIPAL dwelling....which is our HELOC product and which we give all the required disclosures.

My question still is....if the customer is borrowoing to make a down payment, why does the customer need a revolving line of credit?....just curious.

Return to Top
#1678856 - 03/16/12 07:09 PM Re: Line of Credit secured by rental property notuntermywatch
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
As long as they at they at least intend to maintain the line for future purposes, they can have a HELOC for this purpose.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1678862 - 03/16/12 07:12 PM Re: Line of Credit secured by rental property Kathleen O. Blanchard
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: Kathleen B
As long as they at they at least intend to maintain the line for future purposes, they can have a HELOC for this purpose.
Yes, I realize that......and perhaps that's the reason....they just want a revolving line with the first disbursement for the down payment of a home and future disbursements for....whatever.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z