Learn More - Click Here!

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Thread Options
#1679573 - 03/20/12 12:38 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning Stupendous Man
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: TexMex
Unless Jacksonville (or another team looking at more marketing than on-field reasons) goes crazy and gives up too much for him, someone's going to trade for Tebow and get a really good tight end.

(Not sarcasm)

Guy took a team that started 1-4 and turned the season around, won the division, then won a playoff game.

Only 7 QBs in the NFL won a playoff game last year - Tebow was one. It was only his 2nd season in the league. I think you are dismissing him too quickly.

Do people forget how terrible guys like Terry Bradshaw and John Elway were at the beginning of their careers? Bradshaw's first year 38% Comp, 6 TD, 26 INTs... Elway's first year - 47% Comp, 7 TD, 14 INT... Tebow this year 46% Comp, 12 TD, 6 INT, plus another 6 TD rushing. Not saying that means he will be good, just saying that not being a great QB in his 2nd year doesn't deserve him being dismissed as an NFL QB.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1679578 - 03/20/12 12:49 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Many in the media do not like Tebow due to his off field lifestyle. I am all for giving him some time behind a competent QB. It is possible that he will have a career just as bad as Bradhaw and Elway.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1679579 - 03/20/12 12:49 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I agree with BTB, it is only his 2nd year. I also think folks are too hard on him. Yeah, he doesn't have "Great Mechanics", but who cares,(Neither did Elway, Kosar, or does Rothlesburger...) but he wins, and brings an incredible "winning" attitude to a team. HE WINS games.

Return to Top
#1679580 - 03/20/12 12:50 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning HappyGilmore
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I agree it is too early to tell either way how Tebow will be, but his throwing mechanics are TERRIBLE. Alot of his sucess was based on his ability/threat to scramble. That certainly gives him an edge over the pocket passers, but until he fixes his mechanics and becomes a throw first qb, he won't be a successful professional QB.

Return to Top
#1679760 - 03/20/12 04:00 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning Bob The Banker
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Bob The Banker
Guy took a team that started 1-4 and turned the season around, won the division, then won a playoff game.

Only 7 QBs in the NFL won a playoff game last year - Tebow was one. It was only his 2nd season in the league. I think you are dismissing him too quickly.

Do people forget how terrible guys like Terry Bradshaw and John Elway were at the beginning of their careers? Bradshaw's first year 38% Comp, 6 TD, 26 INTs... Elway's first year - 47% Comp, 7 TD, 14 INT... Tebow this year 46% Comp, 12 TD, 6 INT, plus another 6 TD rushing. Not saying that means he will be good, just saying that not being a great QB in his 2nd year doesn't deserve him being dismissed as an NFL QB.

Personally, I dont think Tebow had much to do with them winning. Points per game, accuracy, yards pet attempt...All of the things that he actually had the most control over, he didn't do very well. I think the winning was becasue of the defense, special teams, weak schedule and a little luck. More importantly, I dont think Tebow showed anything that would indicate he will be able to win in the future.

Yes, Bradsahaw and Elway may have had similarly bad stats, but hey also had other attributes going for them that showed some potential. Tebow doesn't have these. Yes there's a chance he could develop, but based on hundreds of other QB's who had the same limitations as him the chances aren't very good. And I think there are at least 32 other QB's out there who have a better chance of developing into (or already are) a solid NFL QB.

Return to Top
#1679826 - 03/20/12 05:15 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning Stupendous Man
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7713078/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-ok-96m-deal-source-says

Quote:
The Denver Broncos and Petyon Manning reached agreement on a five-year, $96 million contract on Tuesday, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

A source told ESPN business analyst Andrew Brandt that Manning will be paid $18 million in 2012. He will be paid $40 million over the 2013, '14 seasons and will make $19 million in both '15 and '16.

Manning will be introduced as the Broncos' new starting quarterback at a 3 p.m. ET news conference.

Return to Top
#1679830 - 03/20/12 05:19 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning Stupendous Man
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Bob The Banker

Personally, I dont think Tebow had much to do with them winning. Points per game, accuracy, yards pet attempt...All of the things that he actually had the most control over, he didn't do very well. I think the winning was becasue of the defense, special teams, weak schedule and a little luck. More importantly, I dont think Tebow showed anything that would indicate he will be able to win in the future.

Yes, Bradsahaw and Elway may have had similarly bad stats, but hey also had other attributes going for them that showed some potential. Tebow doesn't have these. Yes there's a chance he could develop, but based on hundreds of other QB's who had the same limitations as him the chances aren't very good. And I think there are at least 32 other QB's out there who have a better chance of developing into (or already are) a solid NFL QB.

You know, you sound like Tebow, playing down his own accomplishments. Yet it was his team-mates who said that he helped them win by making them believe it.

Return to Top
#1679836 - 03/20/12 05:26 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning B_F
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I am with you on this one BF they would let you think that the cheer squad does nothing to help the team as well. crazy

CAMS

Return to Top
#1679842 - 03/20/12 05:31 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning edAudit
Peepers Offline
10K Club
they do something for me

Return to Top
#1679932 - 03/20/12 07:02 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning Stupendous Man
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker

1 - Tebow had 12 passing TDs and 6 Rushing, total of 18 in 11 starts. Over a 16 game season that is 26 TDs -- not many QBs in the league had 26 Total TDs last year, in fact that would have placed him 11th in the league -- so yes, he did well in scoring, an area he has control over.

2 - The Broncos were the #1 rushing team in the NFL with an astounding 164 yards/game (11 more than the #2 team and nearly 50 yards more than the average team) -- Tebow was a LARGE contributing factor to that.

3 - The Broncos Defense ranked #24 in the NFL in scoring defense by allowing over 24 points per game and the Broncos Defense ranked #20 in the NFL in yards allowed with 358 yards per game.

Return to Top
#1679959 - 03/20/12 07:41 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning HappyGilmore
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
1- YOu are leaving out his yardage totals
2- When you can't throw, you run. Of course they were the top running team.
3- When the defense is on the field after ANOTHER 3 and out, yeah, they're going to allow some yards and points. What about their Time of Possession?

I'm a Broncos fan. I'm not a Tebow fan.

Return to Top
#1679975 - 03/20/12 07:51 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Others who were Run first than pass, that developed into good passers as they matured:

McNair
Vick
And the guy who left the Eagles to the Reskins and viking, but name has escaped me right now.

Give Tebow time, he will get better...

Return to Top
#1679982 - 03/20/12 08:06 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning Pup
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: Pup

<< a Manning fan. Not a Broncos fan. ::sigh::

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1679985 - 03/20/12 08:12 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning DD Regs
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
Others who were Run first than pass, that developed into good passers as they matured:

McNair
Vick
And the guy who left the Eagles to the Reskins and viking, but name has escaped me right now.

Let's not forget Steve Young! A guy once considered he doesn't have the throwing ability to be an NFL caliber QB, USFL and Tampa Bay Buc cast off becomes Super Bowl winning 49er Legend -- oh, and he retired as the most accurate passer in NFL history!!

Return to Top
#1679990 - 03/20/12 08:14 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning Pup
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: Pup
1- YOu are leaving out his yardage totals
2- When you can't throw, you run. Of course they were the top running team.
3- When the defense is on the field after ANOTHER 3 and out, yeah, they're going to allow some yards and points. What about their Time of Possession?

1-It was stated he doesn't have any individual contribution -- that is a statement of his individual contribution -- scoring TDs.

2-It takes ALOT more than "can't throw" to be the #1 rushing offense in the NFL with an average that high.

3-It was stated the defense was the reason the team turned a 1-4 season around. Yes, a defense ranked 24th in scoring and 20th in yardage was the reason for the turnaround and playoff win -- NOTHING to do with Tebow crazy

Return to Top
#1679997 - 03/20/12 08:24 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning DD Regs
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro

McNair
Vick

Randall Cunningham?

Return to Top
#1680010 - 03/20/12 08:39 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning HappyGilmore
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Those guys all had/have canons for arms. While Tebow has a canon for an arm, he can't throw an accurate, tight spiral. He's way off his target 75% of the time.

Elway was a horrible rookie, but it had nothing to do with his throwing ability. It was simply because he was a rookie.

Had they not gone after Manning, they'd have gone after someone else (rookie.....Brandon Weeden, most likely), and I was all for it. Tebow can't throw the ball well...period. In time, perhaps, but how many RBs are we going to wear down in the process? How many talented WRs will waste their careers waiting for their QB to become a better passer?

I do believe that Tebow CAN develop (we saw some improvement during the season last year), but I have enough of a doubt to justify his replacement with someone more conventional. Replacing him with the best QB in the history of the game (or someone with a legitimate argument as such) is a no brainer.

I wish Tebow well, but I was very upset when we traded away half our future to draft a 3rd round QB talent in the 1st round. The fact that some are saying he's worth about a 5th round pick today tells me a lot.

To your #2 point, BTB, he can't throw. But he is one heckuva runner. If he were not bent on being a QB, he'd make an AllPro Fullback, a la Mike Alstott.

To your #3 point, that Defense made all the big-time plays/stops at key moments and did so with some pretty young talent. Yeah, their D gets a lot of the credit. Tebow gets his share as well, but how about a clutch kicker who didn't waste the opportunities that Tebow and the D gave him? Prater was awesome in those games.

Return to Top
#1680026 - 03/20/12 08:49 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning TB 12
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: Sox hopeful 2012

McNair
Vick

Randall Cunningham?

You can add him, but I was thinking of the guy in the cHunky Commercials.

Return to Top
#1680031 - 03/20/12 08:57 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Donavan McNabb?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1680084 - 03/21/12 02:31 AM Re: Poor Peyton Manning HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
That's the guy.

Return to Top
#1680105 - 03/21/12 12:02 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning edAudit
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Donavan McNabb?

Ah yes..the guy that puked in the huddle during the superbowl...

Return to Top
#1680126 - 03/21/12 12:50 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning TB 12
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Unlike Patriots receivers, who puke on the field during the game. whistle
Last edited by Sinatra Fan; 03/21/12 12:51 PM.

Return to Top
#1680131 - 03/21/12 12:57 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning Sinatra Fan
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Or Tom Brady vs the Bears. eek smile

CAMS

Return to Top
#1680226 - 03/21/12 02:38 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Interesting Stat:

Highest TD percentage in red zone
By QB, last 2 seasons*
Broncos Tim Tebow 28.6
Jaguars David Garrard 27.2
Colts Peyton Manning 25.7
Packers Aaron Rodgers 25.7
Patriots Tom Brady 24.6
*Minimum 70 plays

Teams interested in trade has grown to 6, inclding NYJets and GreenBay now in the mix.

Source; ESPN

Return to Top
#1680238 - 03/21/12 02:42 PM Re: Poor Peyton Manning HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
But....I thought he stinks?

Return to Top
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14