Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#167986 - 03/09/04 09:03 PM Providing Customer Information via Fax/Email
NeverEndingSupport Offline
100 Club
Alaska
I am trying to gather some data on how other financial institutions handle communiciating personal customer information electronically with their customers via email or fax. Could you spare me a few moments by looking at my questions below and giving me some feedback?

Q1: Does your institution fax or email personal customer information to customer when requested?

Q2: If you do electronic ally comunicate personal cutomer information with customers, do you require prior authorization from the customer?

Q3: How do you obtain the customers' authorization (paper form/electronic form)?

Q4: If you require prior customer authorization to communicate electronically, how do you maintain and update the customer's authorization information?

Q5: Does your institution use a disclosure on outgoing emails or faxes? If so, would you be willing to share the disclosure document (language) with me?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#167987 - 03/09/04 10:49 PM Re: Providing Customer Information via Fax/Email
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
We will fax if they fax us a signed request from the machine where they want the fax sent to. It's a one-time authorization, just for that specific transmittal.

We DO NOT send any non-public personal info over open, unsecure e-mail. Ever. We have a secure e-mail system through our WebBanking system that allows for encrypted messages to be sent, and we will include personal info as needed.

Return to Top
#167988 - 03/09/04 10:51 PM Re: Providing Customer Information via Fax/Email
Anonymous
Unregistered

Same with us Tisa - in addition, we have a chat feature that, when used from within the password protected Internet Banking system, will show that they have logged in and then secure information can be transmitted in the chat.

Return to Top
#167989 - 03/10/04 02:02 AM Re: Providing Customer Information via Fax/Email
Banker Boy Offline
Banker Boy
Florida
Fax - Yes
Email - No

For email, they can use our secure internet banking email service (this also guarantees that the email will get read and actioned quickly).

Return to Top
#167990 - 03/10/04 03:33 AM Re: Providing Customer Information via Fax/Email
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
q1-yes to both
q2-yes, in all cases
q3-written, on our authorization form
q4-maintained by customer service dept.
q5-yes, customized by different departments

Return to Top
#167991 - 03/10/04 03:12 PM Re: Providing Customer Information via Fax/Email
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
During an FDIC exam in 2002, we were informed that we needed an email security notice, as in lack of security relating to email messages, posted on our web site.

We do not furnish sensitive customer information via email.

Return to Top
#167992 - 11/21/05 11:58 PM Re: Providing Customer Information via Fax/Email
wlavoie Offline
Gold Star
wlavoie
Hell's Canyon
I wanted to revive this thread. We have customers that want the ability to send their personal information to us through email. We also have customers who email their user ID and password for our 3rd party online banking function (we have a disclaimer stating they should not share this information).

I'm wondering if anyone will share the name of their secure internet banking email service? How does it work? Can you send attachments through it?

How about those that use an authorization form? Have the examiners signed off on the use of the form? It seems to make good business sense to use one if a customer wants to sacrifice/risk loss of financial data for ease of communication.

Please share your experiences with me.

Return to Top