Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#168055 - 03/10/04 12:36 AM Compliance department staff
jml13315 Offline
New Poster
Do you work in a compliance department? Is your bank between two and three billion with 50-60 branchs? If so, how many staff do you have in your Compliance Dept? Thanks.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#168056 - 03/10/04 12:54 AM Re: Compliance department staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

55 branches,3.5 billion
1 compliance officer and 1 compliance analyst

Return to Top
#168057 - 03/10/04 06:05 AM Re: Compliance department staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

How are you structured....are there compliance contacts in the field that you can use for training and assistance?

Return to Top
#168058 - 03/10/04 01:13 PM Re: Compliance department staff
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
$1.9B - one compliance officer (and 3 internal auditors-separate dept- who perform some of the nitty gritty testing for me). Yes, I have additional resources, mostly BOL & Kirchman along with the internet and various compliance friends in the business. Additionally, I get guidance from my regulator when something is as clear as mud.

Return to Top
#168059 - 03/10/04 02:26 PM Re: Compliance department staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

JML - To offer a true comparison, and to be helpful in my own resource analysis at my institution, what would be the scope of the compliance function's duties that you are involved in? In other words, what do you own versus just promoting or outsourcing, or being handled by others.

At conferences, I'm meeting people who are in varying types of compliance structures that are either narrower in scope, or more complex, than my own. There does not seem to be a single structure or program model that is universal. One compliance person from my state in a $310 million institution only has responsibility for consumer Reg B/Z-type compliance and CRA, and that bank has a separate BSA/AML/OFAC officer who reports to a separate security officer, while another $9 billion institution has a much wider scope of coverage with a senior-level risk officer overseeing a compliance/audit/security/risk focus.

My institution is just under $500 million, and we constantly get squeezed by picking up new activities without the additional resources.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett