Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1685270 - 04/03/12 06:12 PM MSBs required to file electronically
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
We are in a rural community and the 3 MSBs I have, I've always completed the form for them, went over it with them, had them sign, & mailed it for them.

Now I know a few of you will have opinions on this practice & that's not what I'm looking for here. smile

What I am asking is, these are small businesses, foreign (barely english speaking) individuals. To have them try to understand the BSA E-filing site is near impossible. All they do is cash the occasional check over $1,000 & the whole MSB thing is ridiculous in my opinion.

Can the bank file the form electronically for them? or is this something they're stuck trying to figure out.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1685277 - 04/03/12 06:25 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You're right, I would have protested and I'm probably going to hurt myself keeping my mouth shut. wink

MSBs are now allowed to file electonically. However, they can still file on paper if they choose to. It will simply take longer for them to appear in the data base. My assumption is that paper filing will remain available only because of the commonality of the circumstances you mention.

Return to Top
#1685280 - 04/03/12 06:30 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
mmmmmmouth shut. I can not hold it in any longer.

If they can not fill out the registration how do you expect them to be able to complete there own BSA/AML program and determine if SARs are needed and file them properly?

Sorry

CAMS

Return to Top
#1685290 - 04/03/12 06:45 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
CrashDavis Offline
Gold Star
I am agreement with all of you about MSB's. We have the same situation that we have foreigners running convenience stores and they do not understand filing electronically. I agree with the other poster if they do not understand electronic filing how will they understand setting up programs and report activity. But back to you question. I called the e-filing help desk about this and they told me we could file the form for them. I would just put their e-mail address in the registration.

Return to Top
#1685293 - 04/03/12 06:48 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
EB, CAMS Offline
100 Club
EB, CAMS
flyover country
Personally, the foreigners I've worked with understand computers and government regulatory requirement just fine. They just don't want to have to hassle with it, so if you don't make them, they will continue to pretend they don't understand. smile

Return to Top
#1685311 - 04/03/12 07:22 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
These are not complex MSBs - again, they only qualify because they cash a few checks for their family members. I go over everything with them (I don't just simply complete & mail for them - they get mini training sessions with me).

I did have one MSB who did foreign wire remittances & the whole bit - now HIM I expected a lot from & he was amazing. His program was fabulous & he was great to work with. I was actually bummed to lose his account.

Thanks Ken - it looks like they will have to file electronically by 2013 with the rest of us though. or am I reading this wrong?

http://www.fincen.gov/news_room/nr/pdf/20120314.pdf
All other MSBs may continue to file the legacy FinCEN Form 107 as required by FinCEN until March 31, 2013.
Last edited by (not as) newbsa; 04/03/12 07:24 PM.

Return to Top
#1685326 - 04/03/12 07:45 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
FinCEN is dragging everyone, kicking and screaming or not, into e-filing by March 2013, with very minor exceptions. Don't forget, FinCEN is an arm of Treasury, and Treasury is committed to going all electronic (again, with very minor exceptions) by Spring 2013, too.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1685327 - 04/03/12 07:46 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically CrashDavis
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
I called the e-filing help desk about this and they told me we could file the form for them.

If I had a question about e-filing, I would sure call the folks at the Help Desk. The answer you were given establishes that there is not even one more subject on which I would seek their advice.

It isn't up to them to tell you that you can fill out a form for someone else...they are in no position to assess the risks involved.

Return to Top
#1685366 - 04/03/12 08:34 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
McGruff Offline
Gold Star
McGruff
Texas
I'd be interested to know how many SARs are filed by MSBs each year. Without seeing any numbers, I'd bet that only the tiniest percentage of the SAR database is generated by non-financial institution sources.

Return to Top
#1685387 - 04/03/12 09:13 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically McGruff
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
2010 is the most recent year for which SAR statistics are available:

MSBs - 596,494, trending upward

Depository Institutions - 697,389, trending downward

Return to Top
#1685495 - 04/04/12 01:37 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically CrashDavis
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: CrashDavis
I am agreement with all of you about MSB's. We have the same situation that we have foreigners running convenience stores and they do not understand filing electronically. I agree with the other poster if they do not understand electronic filing how will they understand setting up programs and report activity. But back to you question. I called the e-filing help desk about this and they told me we could file the form for them. I would just put their e-mail address in the registration.

Whoever you spoke with on the e-filing help desk said you COULD file registration forms for your MSB clients. That doesn't make it a good idea to do so.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1685804 - 04/04/12 07:16 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
CrashDavis Offline
Gold Star
I did not say it was a good idea or not, but just repeating what they told me. I understand there are risk involved. There are risks in everything we do. In reading the original poster she was not asking peoples opinion but asked if you can register for the MSB. That was the way I interpreted the post.

Return to Top
#1685812 - 04/04/12 07:26 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Crash it was prolly my comment that sparked the debate. However I will stand with my opinion it does not matter if it is allowed by anyone it is not something I would like to get my bank in the middle of.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1685824 - 04/04/12 07:33 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
CrashDavis Offline
Gold Star
EdAudit, I understand what you are saying and I don't want to do their jobs for them either. We are busy enough with our jobs in trying to get it done. I agree with you I don't think the banks should get into the middle of it. We have to more involved that we should but this is due to the regulators. I just wanted to repeat what the e-filing help desk told me.

Return to Top
#1685833 - 04/04/12 07:52 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
And for the record, my use of your post as a lever for offering my opinion of the practice wasn't meant to suggest you might be considering completing the registration for the Mom & Pop MSB, Crash. It was meant only to make it clear I was responding to the idea or concept of that level of customer hand-holding. Personally, I think the individual at the e-Filing Help Desk should not have offered it as a possibility because the source of the comment lends credibility to the practice.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1685846 - 04/04/12 08:20 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
CrashDavis Offline
Gold Star
John, I understand that now. Thanks for your response.

Return to Top
#1685869 - 04/04/12 09:12 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically WonderWoman
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
I love worms & cans & opening them wink

Thanks everyone for your thoughts & the roundtable discussion. It is very much appreciated.

Return to Top
#1686308 - 04/05/12 08:36 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically Elwood P. Dowd
McGruff Offline
Gold Star
McGruff
Texas
Wow! Did not see that coming! thanks Ken.

Return to Top
#1686717 - 04/06/12 08:25 PM Re: MSBs required to file electronically Elwood P. Dowd
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
2010 is the most recent year for which SAR statistics are available:

MSBs - 596,494, trending upward

Depository Institutions - 697,389, trending downward

Four factors at work here, I think.

1. Although banks may not sense that suspect activity is shifting away from them and toward other service providers, that is certainly the case. Banks have been at this SAR and CTR filing business a lot longer and are much better at it than check cashers and other MSBs.

2. MSBs are beginning to settle into their roles as SAR-filers.

3. As they have become more accustomed to SAR-filing, they are also more practiced at spotting suspect activity.

4. MSBs are increasingly being hit with penalties and other enforcement actions that seize the attention of other members of the industry.

Last edited by John Burnett; 04/06/12 08:26 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z