Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1686215 - 04/05/12 05:45 PM Construction Loan Inspection Fees
Mike Baker Offline
100 Club
Mike Baker
Tennessee
Example: For a construction permanent loan, an upfront fee of $400 is charged for up to 4 inspections during the construction phase. In other documentation it is disclosed to the borrower that if additional inspections are needed, there will be a charge of $100 per additional inspection.
If one or more additional inspections are necessary, does the additional charge to the borrower trigger a need for any
re-disclosures?

Thank you for your input.

"Time is not a commodity which is manufactured; rather, it is a gift which is dispensed to us in a quantity of which we cannot be certain. Therefore, how we choose to utilize this gift is of supreme importance; for one day, perhaps when we least expect it, we will have consumed all that our Creator has allocated to us."

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1686227 - 04/05/12 06:10 PM Re: Construction Loan Inspection Fees Mike Baker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No, it would be considered a subsequent event.

Return to Top
#1687235 - 04/10/12 01:41 PM Re: Construction Loan Inspection Fees Mike Baker
MarieF Offline
Texas
Randy - I have always relied on the "subsequent event" for inspection fees under Reg Z for construction only loans. However, I am concerned about tolerance violations if the loan is subject to RESPA. In the FAQ's under Section 4 & 5, question 14, it speaks about settlement charges collected after closing being subject to tolerance thresholds. Perhaps I am interpreting this incorrected. If subsequent events are protected can we also charge for the slab survey after settlement without a RESPA problem?

Would appreciate your feeback.

Return to Top
#1687699 - 04/11/12 03:02 AM Re: Construction Loan Inspection Fees Mike Baker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Inspection fees are not settlement costs unless charged at loan closing.

Settlement service means any service provided in connection with a prospective or actual settlement, including, but not limited to, any one or more of the following:

(8) Rendering of inspections, including inspections required by applicable law or any inspections required by the sales contract or mortgage documents prior to transfer of title;

Since these inspection fees are after the transfer of title and are not required prospective to the actual settlement, they do not apply to the GFE or HUD-1.

Return to Top
#1687725 - 04/11/12 12:16 PM Re: Construction Loan Inspection Fees Mike Baker
Mike Baker Offline
100 Club
Mike Baker
Tennessee
Randy, Thank you. The information which you provided has been very helpful.

Return to Top
#1687772 - 04/11/12 02:07 PM Re: Construction Loan Inspection Fees Mike Baker
MarieF Offline
Texas
Randy, Thanks for the information. Would you mind addressing if the fees were charged at closing and addtional fees were needed after consummation? I understand Reg Z but am not sure how this would work with RESPA and tolerance violations.

Appreciate your assistance.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z