Blondie? Pat Benetar?

Laura Branigan - Gloria
Heart - Alone, These Dreams, All I Want to Do Is Make Love To You
Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time, True Colors, All Through the Night
Bangles - Eternal Flame
Berlin - Take My Breath Away
The Jets - Any of their songs
Eurythmics - Here Comes The Rain Again
Madonna, Whitney and all the usual suspects.

Now what she (and Jessica and Elise) should really do is an 80's ballad that was sung by a male vocalist. That way they don't have to worry about sounding exactly like the original song or being compared to the original female vocalist. This way, they can make it their own.

Examples:

U2 - With or Without You
Lionel Ritchie - Hello
Journey - Any Song
Survivor - The Search Is Over
INXS - Never Tear Us Apart (love to see Elise try this)
Cheap Trick - The Flame
George Michael - Careless Whisper
and so on.

There's an endless amount of rock ballads that lend themselves to possibly a memorable vocal performance. Similarly the guys should try considering a female song, kinda like what David Cook did with the Mariah Carey song a few years ago.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1684749 - 04/02/12 04:36 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I can hear Elise singing "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" or "Home Sweet Home".

Return to Top
#1684753 - 04/02/12 04:39 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Any suggestions for my Hollie???

bye bye bye - NSYNC

CAMS

Return to Top
#1684823 - 04/02/12 06:16 PM Re: American Idol 2012 B_F
Glutes Offline
Platinum Poster
Glutes
Texas
Originally Posted By: B_F
I can hear Elise singing "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" or "Home Sweet Home".

There you go. Songs like that. I can hear her singing those too.

Return to Top
#1684828 - 04/02/12 06:22 PM Re: American Idol 2012 edAudit
Glutes Offline
Platinum Poster
Glutes
Texas
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Any suggestions for my Hollie???

bye bye bye - NSYNC

80's my friend.

But I get your drift. Perhaps you're thinking more along the lines of..

New Kids on the Block - Please Don't Go Girl

Return to Top
#1684852 - 04/02/12 06:41 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
How about?

"I Bet You They Won't Play This Song on the Radio" Eric Idol

or

"Another Time, Another Place" U2

CAMS

Return to Top
#1684925 - 04/02/12 08:05 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
PHil Phillips with "Dirty Laundry" by Henley? or "Born in the USA"

Sanjaya uh I mean DeAndre doing Red Red Wine?

Return to Top
#1684933 - 04/02/12 08:16 PM Re: American Idol 2012 edAudit
Glutes Offline
Platinum Poster
Glutes
Texas
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
How about?

"I Bet You They Won't Play This Song on the Radio" Eric Idol

or

"Another Time, Another Place" U2

Yoda - Alfred Mathew Yankovic (I met him in a swamp down in Dagoba...Yo yo yo yo Yoda!)

Return to Top
#1684952 - 04/02/12 08:38 PM Re: American Idol 2012 B_F
Glutes Offline
Platinum Poster
Glutes
Texas
PHil Phillips with "Dirty Laundry" by Henley? or "Born in the USA"

Sanjaya uh I mean DeAndre doing Red Red Wine?

Or does he pull out Thriller again?

I'd like to see his take on .38 Special's "So Caught Up in You"...Or The Polics's "Roxanne"...or "Every Breath You Take"....or Mellencamp's "Pink Houses"....or Jeff Healey's "Angel Eyes or....

I see Deandre doing something like Prince's "Kiss" or "Raspberry Beret" or Fine Young Cannibals "She Drives Me Crazy" or Sheriff's "When I'm With You". Something that's falsetto driven.

Return to Top
#1684957 - 04/02/12 08:48 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

Deandre

Girl You Know It's True
Baby Don't Forget My Number

CAMS

Return to Top
#1685077 - 04/03/12 01:50 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Quote:
I see Deandre doing something like Prince's "Kiss" or "Raspberry Beret" or Fine Young Cannibals "She Drives Me Crazy" or Sheriff's "When I'm With You". Something that's falsetto driven.

OK, I can't stand Deandre, but I REALLY hope he does "Kiss!"

Return to Top
#1686083 - 04/05/12 03:17 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
Glutes Offline
Platinum Poster
Glutes
Texas
Was really looking forward to this week. 80's week. An open-ended choice of songs in whatever genre they chose so long as it was from the 80's (remakes included). Singers could choose what they wanted to sing. Perhaps it's just me, but I was disappointed. Thought the show was somewhat of a dud, IMO.

Deandre - sings Debarge. Nuff said.

Elise - Had the right idea in going with a power ballad sung by a dude, but I think she chose the wrong power ballad in "I wanna know what love is" by Foreigner. Just didn't seem to work. Disappointing.

Phillip Phillips - Genesis's "That's All". Interesting. Didn't dislike it, but wasn't crazy bout it either. Pretty much forgettable. In fact, I've already forgotten what it sounded like.

Joshua Ledet - Liked the song choice (If you dont' know me by now - Simply Red remake of Harold Melvin). His kinda song, but again, while the judges seem to like it, I am just not fond of the "taking it to church" moments when Josh sings. I prefer the less is more approach with certin songs. Gwen Stefani seemed to agree.

Jessica Sanchez - Technically the best singer of the bunch and very polished and confident performer for a 16 year old...but I was disappointed in the song choice, not necessarily the artist, but the song choice. "How will I know?" by Whitney is more of a Karaoke type song. Even if you sing it well, it still feels like something a group of girls would sing at a karaoke bar. Or maybe what I'm trying to say is that some songs are best left to the studio because they don't lend themselves well to live performances. I didn't like it at all. I prefer her doing the ballads and if she was gonna stick with Whitney, I would have preferred to see her doing "One moment in time" (see Whitney's powerful and memorable Grammy performance of this song back in 88-89?).

Hollie - I'm afraid Hollie might be in trouble. As with Jessica, some songs don't work well in a live setting which are mainly the upbeat up tempo dance songs. I know the judges what to see her liven things up a bit because she's stiff, but I prefer her doing the ballads.

Colton - Also had the right idea in singing a song by a female artist with Time After Time. He obviously tried to do his own thing with it which I applaud him for, but it didn't work for me.

Skylar - good song choice. Sang well, but didn't think she was as good as the judges made it out to be. She did do it well and was glad to see her drop the twang in a song for a week. Still didn't think it was that strong of a performance to bring someone to tears. Come on J-Lo! If anybody was emotional over that performance, I'm of the opinion that it has more to do with the song, than the performance. That song does mean alot to many folks and it's been played out in many a funeral.

I was reminded last night why I don't like up beat dance songs on the show, because THEY DON'T WORK! Stick to the ballads, power ballads, pop, pop rock songs, singer songwriter, etc. Pretty much all the memorable songs on this show over the years have been slower tempo songs.

Return to Top
#1686102 - 04/05/12 03:29 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I only saw the last two but I have to agree with you on both. I would think that the judges (interscope funkies) think that it is to early for Skylar to go home and since in the bottom 3 with perfomances that I would think were better...

CAMS

Return to Top
#1686151 - 04/05/12 04:18 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I didn't like any of the performances last night except for Colton's, Phillips, and Joshua's.

HATED Jessica's singing last night, and I don't think she's as great as everyone seems to think.

That being said, the bottom 3 should be DeAndre, Elise, and Jessica in my opinion, with DeAndre going home.

Return to Top
#1686185 - 04/05/12 04:41 PM Re: American Idol 2012 B_F
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I didn't like any of the performances last night except for Colton's, Phillips, and Joshua's.

HATED Jessica's singing last night, and I don't think she's as great as everyone seems to think.

That being said, the bottom 3 should be DeAndre, Elise, and Jessica in my opinion, with DeAndre going home.

You must be correct as I agree with you and I agreed with the prior post in this thread. so it is settled DeAndre goes home.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1686235 - 04/05/12 06:30 PM Re: American Idol 2012 B_F
Glutes Offline
Platinum Poster
Glutes
Texas

Yeah, you just don't seem to like Jessica for some reason. It can't be for her singing because she's clearly the best singer of the bunch (every mentor, Jimmy and all 3 judges seem to agree on this). While the SONG she sang wasn't anything special and didn't do anything for me, she still sang it well. It was NOT a bad vocal, just a ho hum song choice. Hollie's and Elise's vocals were pitchy and the song choices were also ho hum. I like all 3 girls and they are all different, but Jessica is a cut above both of them.

DeAndre, Elise and Hollie should be in the bottom three, but I wouldn't be surprised to see anyone go home.

Forgot about the duet performances. I actually preferred these to any of the individual performances. Skylar and Colten's "Islands in the Stream" was pretty good. It actually worked. Phillip and Elise's "Stop Draggin My Heart Around" was pretty good and Jessica and Joshua's "I Knew you were waiting for me" was also very good. Didn't care for Deandre and Hollie's "I'm so excited" cover.

Return to Top
#1686241 - 04/05/12 06:42 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Glutes, the reason I elevated Elise over Jessica was the duet. She and Phillip rocked that one out.

I think Jessica is over-rated. Yes, the judges and Jimmy love her, and they will talk her up even if she completely drops the ball.

Return to Top
#1686244 - 04/05/12 06:45 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
The judges and Jimmy love her because she can sell records and nothing more.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1686246 - 04/05/12 06:48 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
While Jesica does have a good voice I just find the total package boring.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1686339 - 04/05/12 09:37 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
Glutes Offline
Platinum Poster
Glutes
Texas
Glutes, the reason I elevated Elise over Jessica was the duet. She and Phillip rocked that one out.

I think Jessica is over-rated. Yes, the judges and Jimmy love her, and they will talk her up even if she completely drops the ball.

You didn't elevate Elise over Jessica. You have Elise in the bottom three with Jessica. You elevated Hollie over Jessica.

Neither Jessica's or Elise's individual performances were outstanding, but Jessica clearly sang her's better. It was a pretty much straight up cover of the original on key. Boring/Cheesy song, but still sung very well. Elise's Foreigner performance wasn't on key. It was pitchy. Hollie's was worse. I like Elise and Hollie and wanted both to do well, but they didn't. I really liked Elise's and Phillip's Petty/Nicks song as well and believe Elise did better here than in her individual performance, but it's a bit of a stretch to argue that their duet edged out Jessica's and Joshua's. Personally, I preferred Elises/Phillip's duet because I prefer the song more, not because they sang theirs any better than Jessica and Josh. Overall, Jessica did much better than Elise and she bested Hollie by a mile on the individual and duet performances, so I'm not sure how or why she SHOULD be in the bottom three.

Either way, I do get though that sometimes you now what you like and what you don't like and that's pretty much that. You just don't like Jessica. That's it. I felt that way about that Jacob Lusk dude last season and the eventual winner Scotty. Easy fast forward for me on the TiVo.

Return to Top
#1686348 - 04/05/12 10:11 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I couldn't STAND Jacob Lusk either! Ugggh.

Return to Top
#1686451 - 04/06/12 02:18 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
So who got kicked off last night? Missed it to go to church like a good girl. wink

Return to Top
#1686455 - 04/06/12 02:22 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
The correct on for a change.

DeAndre

CAMS

Return to Top
#1686457 - 04/06/12 02:23 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
DeAndrea went home. J-Lo would have saved him but not Randy and Steven.

Hollie, Elise, were the bottom 3, Hollie got saved right away.

Return to Top
#1686498 - 04/06/12 02:58 PM Re: American Idol 2012 Snow Bunny
PATSGirl74 Offline
PATSGirl74
Massachusetts
I LOVE that we are all taking American Idol so seriously - I thought I was truly alone in my passionate opinions of the singers abilities. LOL

I do think that Jessica has the most powerful voice as far as the girls go - however like Ed said I think she is a boring preformer. There is just something that I find very phony about her and I think that maybe why I personally am not connecting to her & in turn don't put her at the top of my list. It could also be a maturity thing ......on her part or mine LOL

I did like all of the duets better than any ofthe solo performances.

I thought Colton & Phil were good solo. And I did not dislike Elise or Hollie. But this week no one blew me out of the water.

Return to Top
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15