BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#168625 - 03/11/04 08:09 PM NCAA Tourney
CEB Offline
CEB
California
How about the Muskies blowing out St. Joe --- tonight Cincinnati beats Louisville-

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#168626 - 03/11/04 08:57 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Well, technically that's the A-10 Conference Tourney, not the NCAA. The Big Dance doesn't start until next week. Will this loss cost St. Joe's a #1 seed? I think it will, especially if Kentucky goes deep into the SEC Tourney.

Return to Top
#168627 - 03/12/04 12:15 AM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, ideally that won't happen. Kentucky has to play UGA next, and since we are 2-0 against them this season, I like our chances.

Return to Top
#168628 - 03/12/04 04:06 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK Dawg, I would love to see your Georgia team put
Kentucky down, but I just don't think amyone can
beat Kentucky three times in one year. Prove me wrong.
I think St. Joseph had a reality check, of course the defeat might have come at a perfect time and inspire them. But when your outrebounded something like 48-21, that spells a serious weakness. The championship is up for grabs methinks, but if you want to hang in there awhile, just ride
on Duke's coattails IMHO. ........Remember, Old basketball players don't die, .......they just dribble away!

Return to Top
#168629 - 03/12/04 04:28 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
PapaChief Offline
PapaChief
Downtown Many, Louisiana
above mine

Return to Top
#168630 - 03/12/04 05:51 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
Quote:

Well, ideally that won't happen. Kentucky has to play UGA next, and since we are 2-0 against them this season, I like our chances.

One look at my avatar should tip off where I stand on this issue and we'll know in about 2 1/2 hours. Bottom line: I'll be SHOCKED if we lose to UGA today, but Felton is undefeated in his career against UK.

I don't know if UK can pick up a 1 seed though. I think they would have to win the SEC Tournament (doable) and do so by either a) winning by 10 points over Mississippi State or b) Mississippi State losing today - (thus taking them out of contention for a 1 seed).

I hate to admit this so near to a Magic post, but I'm happy with a 2 seed for the 'Cats, but I just hope that we're in a different region than dUKe.

Return to Top
#168631 - 03/12/04 06:03 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, PC, there you go. Felton is undefeated in his career against UK. In 1979 the Tennessee Volunteers did it. Of course, the current UK team probably wasn't even born then, so that stat matters very little. UGA has had a very up and down season. Two victories over UK one over Florida, and one over Georgia Tech, but losses to powerhouses like Winthrop. I know we can beat UK, but UK is a very good team, has some respect to play for (a third loss to UGA would be embarrassing for a team like UK), and wants the best position possible in the NCAA torney. On the other hand, UGA also wants that third victory over UK, is playing to get a spot in the tourney in the first place, and has a coach with a great track record against UK. It will be a great game.

Return to Top
#168632 - 03/12/04 06:57 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
CEB Offline
CEB
California
Rusty, being a certificate carrying Kentucky Col. my bet is on KY. Go Blue!!!!!!

Return to Top
#168633 - 03/12/04 08:13 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, looks like another late UGA collapse. I guess we are headed for the NIT.

Return to Top
#168634 - 03/12/04 08:18 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
CEB Offline
CEB
California
Sorry Dawg - Don't let it ruin your weekend - maybe GTech can beat UNC-

Return to Top
#168635 - 03/12/04 08:26 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

Sorry Dawg - Don't let it ruin your weekend - maybe GTech can beat UNC-

Oh, my misguided friend, I would never concieve of cheering for those stupid bees . Seriously, though, I will be pulling for UNC in that matchup. I live in Northeast SC, and Raymond Felton (for UNC) is from this area. As far as the SEC tourney goes, now I throw my allegiance to the Gamecocks, but only for the rest of the season, as it is unlikely that USC and UGA will meet again this season on the hardwood.

Return to Top
#168636 - 03/12/04 08:40 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
UGA played a good game Dawg, I think they played their way into the NCAA. My 'Cats scared me - one 9 minute stretch in the 1st half with 9 points and one 10 minute stretch in the 2nd half with 10 points...

CEB .... glad to know there are some 'Cat fans in California Are you from Kentucky or was the Colonel designation from a friend?

Return to Top
#168637 - 03/12/04 08:40 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Quote:

It could be worse....you could be an OU fan.

Return to Top
#168638 - 03/12/04 09:03 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

UGA played a good game Dawg, I think they played their way into the NCAA. My 'Cats scared me - one 9 minute stretch in the 1st half with 9 points and one 10 minute stretch in the 2nd half with 10 points...

Thanks for the graciousness, RGS. I really think our seniors and Felton carried the team this year. Hopefully, they can get some good recruits in there and become competitve in basketball, just like they have in football. In the end analysis, I think UGA is building a good foundation with the coaches in the big money sports (Richt being the football coach). By all accounts, Felton is light years better than Harrick. Right now I am tracking the USC/LSU game and USC is getting their pants beat off. It looks like they are struggling here down the stretch.

By the way, RGS, do you really think the Dawgs will make the NCAA? From what I read, they needed to beat Allbarn and UK to get in.
Last edited by DawgFan; 03/12/04 09:06 PM.

Return to Top
#168639 - 03/12/04 10:52 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
I really think that UGA is NCAA worthy. I agree that a win against UK would have sealed the deal, but they played a tough game. Throw in their wins against UK earlier in the year and wins against Georgia Tech and Florida, I think they have some quality wins and should make it. I also think that Vandy is in unless they lose to MSU by 20.

Return to Top
#168640 - 03/12/04 11:08 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
CEB Offline
CEB
California
RGS - Looked close (was close) but I'm glad the Cats prevailed. I am transplanted from Louisville and was very active with the Chamber of Comm there. I've been a Col for over 30 years- damn time flies!
The GA Tech/NC game was a good one, right down to the last 1.2 seconds.
Now we need two other teams to win tonight -Cincinnati and Xavier-

Return to Top
#168641 - 03/15/04 01:55 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, RGS, let me be the first to say congratulations! Any day that any UF team loses is a great day for America. I pulled for USC in the semifinals, but you guys were unstoppable. When that guy hit that long 3 with about two minutes to go (I think it was Fitch), I knew it was over. LSU brought the football National Championship to the SEC (well, part of it, anyway), so I hope UK can bring the basketball NC to the SEC as well. And uh, maybe the Dawgs can win the NIT!

Return to Top
#168642 - 03/15/04 03:05 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
GO BIG BLUE!!!! and as a nice side treat, duke got beat!! :P gotta love march!

Return to Top
#168643 - 03/15/04 04:00 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Woooooooo hooooooo!

It looks like we're coming together at the right time. If this team keeps its head I can't see it slowing down before San Antonio. GO BIG BLUE

Return to Top
#168644 - 03/15/04 04:10 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

Quote:

It could be worse....you could be an OU fan.

But look at it this way, J, we almost took out Texas!!! And that with a team of 8 that was only 2 fouls away from playing with 3 players on the court. We led all the way until the last couple of minutes! I think they have come a long way with the players they have - almost all freshman!

Return to Top
#168645 - 03/15/04 04:21 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, I am kind of like you, Boomermom. We beat Tech, beat Kentucky twice, and beat Florida once. Now we're going to the NIT. I'd rather go to the NCAA, but I really can't complain. At least no we have someone as head coach who looks to be a solid person and isn't going to get us in a bunch of hot water. I'd say that the future looks bright for the UGA men's basketball team. Maybe they can start playing up to the level the ladies have.

Return to Top
#168646 - 03/15/04 04:24 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Our ladies won the Big 12 Tourney as a 6 seed and are going to NCAAA. They played a heck of a tournament beating 3 top seeds and winning big over Texas in the finals!!!

Return to Top
#168647 - 03/15/04 04:25 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
If everything goes according to form, then there should be a Duke/Kentucky showdown for the National Championship. What a game that would be! Don't you know that had to make the tournament selection committee smile a little bit. Several of the most memorable games in college basketball history have been Duke/Kentucky NCAA Tournament games, including the greatest college basketball game ever played:
March 28, 1992, The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA, East Regional Final
Duke 104 Kentucky 103 (OT)

Go Duke!

Return to Top
#168648 - 03/15/04 06:19 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
OK, I am probably stepping into something really deep here, but here goes. How does Duke get a 1 seed? I mean they lose 5 games, including the tournament game to an unranked team. Now, granted I haven't followed them, but is it really quality wins or is it legacy?

Oh, & in case your wondering, I'll be cheering on my alma mater, Miss State Bulldogs (but an SEC team at the very least).

Return to Top
#168649 - 03/15/04 06:26 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
The ACC is by far the toughest conference in college basketball this year. Plus the tournament selection committee has historically not put a lot of emphasis on the results of the ACC championship game in changing seedings. It's not just a Duke thing. I can remember in years past where Carolina has lost in the ACC tournament game and still kept a number 1 seed. But I do think its a little bit of their reputation keeping them there too.

I can tell you this much - Duke is far more worthy of a #1 seed than either Stanford or St. Joe's. They'd be the ones you should be asking about.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3