Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#168675 - 03/16/04 03:03 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Look, you keep your facts and I'll keep my biased opinion.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#168676 - 03/16/04 03:13 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

Elton Brand is probably the best of them all.

Actually, Corey Maggette is playing almost as many minutes per game as Brand and has a slightly higher points per game average. But Brand does a lot of other things besides score, too. There are currently six Duke players averaging double digit minutes per game in the NBA. Grant Hill would be the seventh if not for the recurring stress fracture in his ankle - guess that does make him soft, huh?

If you ask me, the primary reason Duke players are not more successful in the NBA is because the NBA is not about team and fundamentals, it's about individual showboating. And at Duke, the players are taught fundamentals and placing team goals ahead of individual. So they do come out for the most part less prepared for the NBA. But is that what college basketball is supposed to be about - preparing players for the NBA? I don't think so.

Quote:

there is an endless supply of Duke grads who are best suited for sitting on the pine waiting for their shot to coach high school hoops.

Well, lets talk about the Duke grads coaching at a slightly higher level, and pretty successfully:

Mike Brey - Notre Dame
Tommy Amaker - Michigan
Quin Snyder - Missouri
Jeff Capel - Viriginia Commonwealth
Johnny Dawkins - Duke assistant
Steve Wojciechowski - Duke assistant
Chris Collins - Duke assistant

Return to Top
#168677 - 03/16/04 03:20 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah - I second what Z said - all your facts are, Jim, are facts! But I do agree with your opinion on why Duke players may not be more succesful at the pro level. It is that exact reason why I can not stand wtaching Pro Basketball, and why College Hoops is perhaps the most enjoyable sport to watch on TV - so much emotion, so much team play, so many kids out there busting their hump because they actually love to play the game - imagine that!

Return to Top
#168678 - 03/16/04 03:39 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Yeah - I second what Z said - all your facts are, Jim, are facts! But I do agree with your opinion on why Duke players may not be more succesful at the pro level. It is that exact reason why I can not stand wtaching Pro Basketball, and why College Hoops is perhaps the most enjoyable sport to watch on TV - so much emotion, so much team play, so many kids out there busting their hump because they actually love to play the game - imagine that!

It has been said before, but Pro ball is nothing but a wrestling match, a mugging, with a ball thrown in. Big guys shove their way into position. Little guys (6' 7" and under) carry the ball and walk with the ball. The game has really suffered since the days of Pistol Pete and Gerry Kouse (sp?) and.... So long as you don't do a Kermit Washington, you can foul all you want.

Return to Top
#168679 - 03/16/04 03:48 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Anonymous
Unregistered

Plus, with very few exceptions, these guys do not look like they are having fun. I always thought that all pro sports would be better if all contracts were deferred - pay these guys a reasonable salary - let them live a modest life so that they stay hungry, and then when their playing days are over, let them be rich and spoiled creeps.

Return to Top
#168680 - 03/16/04 03:49 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I hardly watch pro sports at all anymore. The only time is if there is a former Sooner or someone that I know playing for the team. Other than that - they just can't seem to retain my interest! It's all about "me" and not "team". I love March Madness time. Almost as exciting as High School State Playoffs (sorry I just got back from those this weekend). Even though my Sooners didn't make the cut this year, I will still be watching when I can. Will probably follow the NIT a little closer this year. I can remember when the NIT was THE tournament. (Gee, I'm telling my age aren't I!)

Return to Top
#168681 - 03/17/04 03:14 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Like him or hate him (as I know some of you KY fans do), ESPN has him as Mr. Clutch in the NCAA Tournament history.

Return to Top
#168682 - 03/19/04 05:33 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
The technical foul call was correct, Jim, but that doesn't change the fact that that Laettner (I can type his name, just can't say it out loud) should not have been on the floor to take the last shot.

In 1992, contact technicals like the one called on Laettner were supposed to count as a personal foul. The official scorers did not count the technical as a personal on Laettner.

Laettner got his "fourth" foul early in the first OT. That means that he had actually fouled out. So he should not have even been on the floor at the end of the game.

Even so, that was definitely one of the best basketball games I can ever remember watching. Every time a team needed a big play, someone came up with one. Duke just had the last big play.

Return to Top
#168683 - 03/22/04 02:24 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well Magic, it looks like there won't be a UK/Duke game. RGS, my condolences. Z, I caught the end of the UNC/Texas game the other night, I didn't realize how good of a squad Texas had, although it appears that the high pressure defense UNC was using on the Horns was pretty effective.

Return to Top
#168684 - 03/22/04 04:41 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Quote:

... that was definitely one of the best basketball games I can ever remember watching. Every time a team needed a big play, someone came up with one. Duke just had the last big play.

The same can be said of the Kentucky - UAB game!!! That is one of the most exciting games that I have watched so far

Return to Top
#168685 - 03/23/04 02:57 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
UofLer Offline
100 Club
UofLer
Quote:

it looks like there won't be a UK/Duke game. RGS, my condolences.

What cheers a Card fan after they lose a game?? One guess...

Return to Top
#168686 - 03/23/04 03:11 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
CEB Offline
CEB
California
...a frown on Tuby's face?

Return to Top
#168687 - 03/23/04 07:06 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Go KU.

Return to Top
#168688 - 03/23/04 07:23 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster

Return to Top
#168689 - 03/23/04 07:53 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
Quote:

Quote:

it looks like there won't be a UK/Duke game. RGS, my condolences.

What cheers a Card fan after they lose a game?? One guess...

OUCH!! I would actually root for UL with the exception of one game a year because they are in Kentucky, but I understand not all fans feel the same way. Of course with all of the losses that UL had down the stretch, I guess you guys did need a big dose of cheering up.

Return to Top
#168690 - 03/23/04 07:59 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I still have a chance with 11 teams remaining. I only have one team left out of the St. Louis bracket--GA Tech. I feel pretty good about them.

Return to Top
#168691 - 03/23/04 08:25 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Yuck! "Feel good" and "Georgia Tech" don't belong in the same sentence together.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3