BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#168650 - 03/15/04 06:59 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

The ACC is by far the toughest conference in college basketball this year.

I will excuse the obvious typographical error--You meant to say the Big 12, of course.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#168651 - 03/15/04 07:11 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Ummmm, no, I'm pretty sure I meant to say the ACC.

Return to Top
#168652 - 03/15/04 07:25 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Ummmm, no, I'm pretty sure I meant to say the ACC.

Yes, but with "pretty sure" in your answer, you confidence is waning. Hopefully, the tourney will dispel you of this wicked east coast bias.

Return to Top
#168653 - 03/15/04 07:30 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!!!!!!!!!

Had fun picking them to go All.The.Way again this year! I know they can do it. Again.

Return to Top
#168654 - 03/15/04 07:32 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

Quote:

The ACC is by far the toughest conference in college basketball this year.

I will excuse the obvious typographical error--You meant to say the Big 12, of course.

Again, Big 12 teams don't have better records because they are all so good they beat each other up!

Return to Top
#168655 - 03/15/04 07:44 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Did anyone watch the selection show yesterday? There was a rather interesting exchange between the St. Joe's coach and one of the CBS guys about whether or not St. Joe's deserved their ranking. At some point, St. Joe's is going to have to prove themselves. There are a lot of doubters.

I don't follow college basketball much, so I can't really join the debate about the toughest conference, but just remember that the number one overall seed is from the SEC, baby! (a Dickie V. expression for you there)

Return to Top
#168656 - 03/15/04 08:50 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Quote:

...the number one overall seed is from the SEC, baby!...

At last, a little respect.

Return to Top
#168657 - 03/15/04 09:12 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
You know it! Z and I had the same arguement about conference supremacy during football season, so it's rather humorous to see he and Magic having this debate. Kentucky is probably the best overall chance that the SEC has at bringing the trophy home, but I think that Florida, MSU, USC, Vandy, and Bama all have a shot at going pretty far. I may even pull for Florida, but only after having a beer or 50.

Return to Top
#168658 - 03/15/04 09:15 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Hmmm. Florida does not seem as good as their hype. MS State is peaking in the wrong direction. I think Okla State is a strong contender for the Final 4.

Return to Top
#168659 - 03/15/04 09:24 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, that's why they play the games. I thought I heard some of the guys on the Selection Show yesterday saying that OK State should have been seeded higher. In any case, there are usually one or two upsets in the early rounds. So, we'll see what happens.

Return to Top
#168660 - 03/15/04 09:24 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

At some point, St. Joe's is going to have to prove themselves.

I'm thinking St. Joe's and Pitt are going to be playing in the E. Rutherford division decider. I honestly do not believe that St. Joe's has played any real competition this season. Pitt is likely to take that Division.

I would really like to see a BC / UCONN Championship. A great pre-cursor to the epic Yankees vs. Red Sox season coming up (are there any other baseball teams besides the Yankees and the Sox?).

But, I guess I'll have to settle for Pitt vs. UCONN.

Return to Top
#168661 - 03/15/04 09:30 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

(are there any other baseball teams besides the Yankees and the Sox?).

I hope so, otherwise we couldn't have a World Series--because everyone knows that the Sox can't go.

Return to Top
#168662 - 03/15/04 09:37 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

I hope so, otherwise we couldn't have a World Series--because everyone knows that the Sox can't go.

This from a Cubs fan.

Return to Top
#168663 - 03/15/04 09:39 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

This from a Cubs fan.

I beg your pardon, I am also an Astros fan--oops, I think I'm just nailing down your point.

Return to Top
#168664 - 03/15/04 09:50 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Gotcha! Seriously, Z, how do you think the Astros will do this year with Pettite and Rocket?

Return to Top
#168665 - 03/15/04 09:53 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
The Rocket will definitely be a good captain for the young players, but we'll see if he still has what it takes. Pettite, what can I say, I think he'll do great. If they don't do it this year, they are going to have to dump some aging players.

Return to Top
#168666 - 03/15/04 09:56 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
Quote:

If everything goes according to form, then there should be a Duke/Kentucky showdown for the National Championship. What a game that would be! Don't you know that had to make the tournament selection committee smile a little bit. Several of the most memorable games in college basketball history have been Duke/Kentucky NCAA Tournament games, including the greatest college basketball game ever played:
March 28, 1992, The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA, East Regional Final
Duke 104 Kentucky 103 (OT)

Go Duke!

The 1992 game also happened to be the last UK broadcast by the late, great, Caywood Ledford. Caywood was one of the greatest radio announcers ever (the 'Cat fan in me says greatest, but I'll leave it at "one of"). Of course the player that made the last shot in the 1992 game (I cannot physically type his name) should have been ejected earlier in the game when he stomped on Aminu Timberlake, but ......

I was actually glad that they seeded both dUKe and UK as 1 seeds, I was afraid that they'd play in the regional final again. I think the 'Cats will be salty, but they're going to have to avoid injuries and stay hungry. I may feel title number 8 coming to Lexington.

GO BIG BLUE!

Return to Top
#168667 - 03/15/04 10:06 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
We've had this debate before, haven't we, Rusty? It wasn't a stomp, it was just a little love tap. I think the technical foul was the right call. The game was physical on both ends of the floor.

As I understand it, Coach K did a classy thing in coming over and congratulating Caywood on the air for all his excellence in broadcasting after that game.

Just to show you that I'm not so blinded by team loyalty, I'd have to say that Laettner was one of the less classy players to ever suit up for Duke. But boy was he talented and competitive.

Return to Top
#168668 - 03/15/04 10:11 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

I thought I heard some of the guys on the Selection Show yesterday saying that OK State should have been seeded higher.

I think what hurt them was a late conference championship game. It just ended when they came on the air for the announcements. However, their record should have spoken a lot for them. (Gee, did a Sooner fan just say that? Oh, well, they are from Oklahoma!)

Return to Top
#168669 - 03/16/04 01:38 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
USA Today has an article in today's issue that confirms the ACC as the best conference this year. It's the first time since the NCAA Tournament started seeding all the participant schools in 1979 that a single conference has placed 5 teams seeded 4 or higher. There have been 11 times that a conference has placed 4 teams at 4 or higher (none of which was the Big 12). Tournament committee chairman Bob Bowlsby is quoted as saying the ACC is the #1 conference this year.

Go Duke!

Return to Top
#168670 - 03/16/04 01:47 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i still can't think about that game with dUKe (good call RGS)... I still think coach K has sold his soul to the devil for all those wins... i mean come on... the man has not aged in over a decade... he has "evil" players (like the afore mentioned not nice person)... it's just not natural! but then again as well all know, we UK fans live and breathe to play them again... cause we ROCK!!! anyway sorry Big Blue love took over for a second!

Return to Top
#168671 - 03/16/04 02:23 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

USA Today has an article in today's issue that confirms the ACC as the best conference this year. It's the first time since the NCAA Tournament started seeding all the participant schools in 1979 that a single conference has placed 5 teams seeded 4 or higher. There have been 11 times that a conference has placed 4 teams at 4 or higher (none of which was the Big 12). Tournament committee chairman Bob Bowlsby is quoted as saying the ACC is the #1 conference this year.

Go Duke!

USA Today? McNewpaper?? That great sports oracle?? That settles nothing!!! The Big 12 has 9, count them 9 teams playing in the post season. That is also 9 teams with winning records. We had 10 teams with a .500 record or better. We also have 12 teams in the conference vs. 9 in the ACC. Plenty of opporunity for Duke et al to beat up on a lot of second-rate nonconference teams.

Yes, the ACC had 8 teams with .500 or above records. Look at the conferences side by side and they look very similar. Everyone knows that OSU should have gotten a higher seed. If it had not been for the East Coast bias, we'd have had 6 teams in the NCAA touney also. It helps that the ACC plays close to the media centers of the universe.

We played tough non-conference schedules and beat up on each other all year in an area of the country without a media center city--all but assuring that fewer Big 12 teams would get to the NCAA tourney.

Return to Top
#168672 - 03/16/04 02:40 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

the man has not aged in over a decade

Are you kidding me? His hairline is receding faster than CBS could backpedal after the Superbowl halftime show. Have you looked at the bags under his eyes lately? You could pack enough luggage for a Zsa Zsa Gabor world tour in those bags. He's had both hips replaced in the past 8 years. Not aged? Give me a break. Here's the comparison:

Coach K then:

Coach K now:

Quote:

he has "evil" players

Laettner is about the only one that I would say even comes close to this category. At the very least he did not resemble the character of his first name. But other than him, who else would you put in this category? Look at the model citizens the Duke basketball program has produced. Figures like Shane Battier, Grant Hill, Jay Bilas to name a few. Certainly not what I would call "evil" players.

Go Duke!

Return to Top
#168673 - 03/16/04 02:44 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
Anonymous
Unregistered

I call Duke players "soft", not evil. They can't play pro ball. Elton Brand is probably the best of them all. Even before the motorcycle accident, Jay Williams was soft. Obviously, Grant Hill is a bust - there is an endless supply of Duke grads who are best suited for sitting on the pine waiting for their shot to coach high school hoops. (ok, a bit biased - not a Duke fan)

Return to Top
#168674 - 03/16/04 02:59 PM Re: NCAA Tourney
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I won't dispute at all that the Big 12 is the second strongest conference this year. You've argued that case very well. I can see that you are most probably an excellent attorney.

At one point last week, ESPN (a slightly more authoritative sports voice than USAToday) reported that ACC teams had the #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, and 13th ranked toughest schedules in the country. That seems to me to be indicative of both extremely high levels of interconference play as well as scheduling strong non-conference opponents.

Quote:

We also have 12 teams in the conference vs. 9 in the ACC. Plenty of opporunity for Duke et al to beat up on a lot of second-rate nonconference teams.

But the Big 12 still only plays 16 conference games, just like the ACC. So it seems to me to be a very equal opportunity for both leagues to pick on non-conference teams. Plus you don't necessarily have to worry about meeting the strongest teams in your conference twice every year, both at their house and yours. Of course, the ACC will be going to that same format next year with the expansion (dilution).

The ACC also has more than 50% of its teams this year ranked in the top 25 at the end of the season (5 of 9 teams). So this certainly argues to a tougher conference schedule than most of the Big 12 teams face.

Go Duke!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3