Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options Tools
#168918 - 03/12/04 02:10 PM How to perform a search
Michele_Petry Offline

Platinum Poster
Michele_Petry
Louisville, KY USA
Here's a Handy "HOW TO" for the SEARCH function

The new and improved Search Feature in Bankers' Threads is very powerful; however if you're not familiar with how to use it properly, it may not yield the results you are looking for.

To Perform a Search:

Go to the Search Page

Select the Category, Forum or Forums that you would like to search from the left.
- Selecting a Category will search all forums in that category.
- Selecting one forum will search in just that forum.
- Selecting multiple forums will search only withing those selected forums.

On the right, to search a keyword, enter it into the box. You can click "Advanced Search Tips" for more help.
- Entering a single keyword will search for that word.

- Entering 2 or more words will search for each word, as if there were an OR operator. So entering peanut butter will search for posts containing peanut OR butter.

- Entering 2 or more words WITH PLUS SIGNS will search with an AND operator. So entering +peanut +butter will search for posts that contain peanut AND butter but they do NOT have to be together.

- Entering 2 or more words IN QUOTE MARKS will search for the phrase. So entering "peanut butter" will search for posts that contain the PHRASE peanut butter and will not return the post if it contains only one of the words.

- Entering 2 or more words with A MINUS sign will exclude words from the search. So entering +peanut -butter will search for posts which have the word peanut in them and DO NOT have the word butter.

- You can mix and match search operators. For example, entering "peanut butter" -jelly would return posts containing the PHRASE peanut butter and NOT containing the word jelly.

- Entering "peanut butter" +jelly -dance would return posts containing the PHRASE peanut butter and containing the word jelly but NOT containing the word dance.

Below that, you can choose whether you are searching the subject AND body of the posts, or just the subject.

Under the Username search section, you can enter a username. This can be done with or without keywords. So entering "peanut butter" +jelly + dance in the keywords and the username of navaho would return posts containing the PHRASE peanut butter AND the word jelly AND the word dance posted by the user navaho.

Next select a date range. There's an option to search all posts, or search for posts newer or older than a certain criteria. Narrowing down the search time will increase the speed of the results.

Next you can choose how many results per page you wish to view.

You can also choose to view a profile of the body. If selected, this will show you the first few words in the body of each post.

When you are finished, click "Submit".

Hope you find this helpful. I will make this post sticky for a few days.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#168919 - 03/12/04 03:21 PM Re: How to perform a search
sue's mom Offline
Gold Star
sue's mom
IL
Thank you for the information. I have not had any luck doing searches recently.

Return to Top
#168920 - 03/12/04 05:18 PM Re: How to perform a search
LSmith Offline
Platinum Poster
LSmith
I, too, Thank you. It has been frustrating not being able to find things you knew were there.

Return to Top
#168921 - 03/12/04 05:44 PM Re: How to perform a search
Happy Camper Offline
100 Club
2FALLS
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! You rock!!!

Return to Top
#168922 - 03/12/04 05:46 PM Re: How to perform a search
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Thank you, I too have been having problems with the new search features. I cut and pasted this into a word doc and saved it as BOL Search because I do get forgetful now and then.

Return to Top
#168923 - 03/15/04 02:21 PM Re: How to perform a search
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
Thanks for the idea Dan. I just set up the Word file too.

Return to Top
#168924 - 03/15/04 02:29 PM Re: How to perform a search
Anonymous
Unregistered

Michelle,

This is REALLY discouraging when even the gurus are having so many problems (along with the rest of us mere mortals). There are thousands of GREAT posts that we cannot gain access to!

Can't we go back to the old way???......this CLEARLY was not an enhancement, regardless of how many times you train it and how great you say it is. This is a cumbersome dog and everyone knows it. Let's face that reality and find a solution.

Return to Top
#168925 - 03/15/04 04:27 PM Re: How to perform a search
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
There are some pros and cons when there is a software upgrade. I can't speak for Michele and she has the intimate knowledge on this, but I don't think we could go back on just the search function, and there were other positives in this release that are great.

It doesn't replace the search, but be sure to bookmark as a "favorite thread" (linked at the bottom of threads) those you want to go back to, such as the search terms above. Once saved, you'll have direct access from your "My Home" link.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#168926 - 03/15/04 08:24 PM Re: How to perform a search
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
This was great information! But now I'm hungry for a sandwich, want to shake a leg, and head West!!

Return to Top
#168927 - 03/18/04 03:35 PM Re: How to perform a search
Sandra Offline
Sandra
Massachusetts
Thank you. The tips are really helpful, but I have one question. For date range, how do I get the option to search all posts and can I make that my default?
Sandra

Return to Top
#168928 - 03/18/04 05:54 PM Re: How to perform a search
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
By setting it to a few years you'll effectively be searching all posts. If this were the default, the search functions would be slow and may slow the server if a lot of folks are searching at one time.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#168929 - 06/18/04 09:57 PM Re: How to perform a search
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there anyway to search just by thread #?? I've recaived thread #'s from people before, but it can be hard to track them down

Return to Top
#168930 - 06/21/04 10:05 AM Re: How to perform a search
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It's not a search, but here instructions for IE browsers--

1. click here.

2. Make this a "favorite" for your browser.

3. When you want to navigate to a specific thread, click on this favorite.

4. Change "173146" in the url address bar to the post number and press enter.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#168931 - 07/29/04 02:48 AM Re: How to perform a search
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah

Return to Top
#168932 - 11/18/04 04:50 PM Re: How to perform a search
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I do not like the fact that I can only do one search, and then have to wait 5 minutes or more before I can do another.

The old way, I would type in my search word and months to scan, and if I didn't get any matches, I could immediately change my search words and run another search. Now, I run the search, and if no matches, and I try to run another search, I get "sorry you cannot do another search at this time. Try back in a few minutes."

That stinks.

Return to Top
#168933 - 11/18/04 07:44 PM Re: How to perform a search
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Are you using the back button to get back the the search input page? I'm clicking the 'search' link to start a new search, and I'm not running into any problems at all.

Return to Top
#168934 - 11/18/04 09:46 PM Re: How to perform a search
Bucko Offline
100 Club
Heartland
I've had the same problem as Nanwa. It's also telling me that my search keywords are too short. What does that mean?

Return to Top
#168935 - 11/18/04 10:17 PM Re: How to perform a search
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
I also am getting the message that Nanwa and Bucko are getting. After the first search, I click on the "Search" button on the top of the page and it happens. But if I use my back button and change the search words that I typed in the first time, it will do another search. Odd . . .

Return to Top
#168936 - 11/18/04 11:44 PM Re: How to perform a search
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Ditto with me!!

Return to Top
#168937 - 11/19/04 03:46 PM Re: How to perform a search
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
I tried doing a search on Check 21 with no problem. I then did a search on IRA distribution and got the "cannot proceed" error message. There may be an overflow protection device that will only allow one search in so many seconds. Lots of message boards have these to keep bots from running continuous searches for e-mail addresses in posts.

Return to Top
#168938 - 01/13/05 03:39 PM Re: How to perform a search
HallieK Offline
Gold Star
HallieK
Oklahoma
When I do a search, I receive a list of threads that meet my search requirements, but when I click on a thread to read the content, it is blank. Is anyone else having this problem or know what I can do to correct it? This started about two weeks ago and I don't know why.

Return to Top
#168939 - 01/13/05 05:33 PM Re: How to perform a search
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
What is the name of the poster identified with the thread?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#168940 - 01/14/05 02:03 PM Re: How to perform a search
HallieK Offline
Gold Star
HallieK
Oklahoma
All post that I try to pull up from a search are blank. It does not happen with just certain post, it is all post, no matter what I am searching. The entire thread that I click to view will be blank. Everyones post. The search function is useless to me, as I can not see any of the post, only the headings and the name of the poster, the post itself is missing.

Return to Top
#168941 - 01/14/05 02:08 PM Re: How to perform a search
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
What happens if you search on your own comment, can you view your posts? (I am exploring because I haven't heard this otherwise.)

Return to Top
#168942 - 01/18/05 02:09 PM Re: How to perform a search
HallieK Offline
Gold Star
HallieK
Oklahoma
OK! My threads are back. When I signed in this morning, I am able to see the threads in a search. I don't know what the problem was, but it great to be able to do searches again.

Return to Top
#168943 - 10/24/05 04:55 PM Re: How to perform a search
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have posted topics before, but haven't gotten back to them right away. Is there anyway to pull up just my posts other than clicking on poster and going thru the entire alphabet?

Return to Top
#168944 - 10/24/05 05:04 PM Re: How to perform a search
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You must register in order to take advantage of some basic functions.

For example, click on Thunder Bunny's name to the left of the above post. Then click on "Show All Users Posts."

If you are registered and a topic is important to you then you can show it as a "favorite" and you will receive notification of all future posts.

Those who post as Anon see the tip of the iceberg in terms of benefits...

Return to Top
#168945 - 10/24/05 06:49 PM Re: How to perform a search
Anonymous
Unregistered

thank you. I am a registered user. I was in a rush this morning and didn't sign in. But the tip will assist me tremendously when trying to find my posts. Thank you so much. I just love BOL!

Return to Top
#713499 - 04/09/07 05:57 PM Re: How to perform a search HallieK
RobinB Offline
Gold Star
RobinB
Maryland
Off topic--I thought this thread was going to be about how to search an employee or workspace. LOL
Last edited by RobinB; 04/09/07 05:58 PM.
Return to Top
#729040 - 05/09/07 04:44 PM Re: How to perform a search Sandra
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
This site is getting so big, searching is getting really hard. For instance, I asked a question under General Discussion because it was about sole proprietorships. It could go under Operations, Business Accounts, Ask a Banker, Compliance, Bank Secrecy, or my state. So I put it under General.

Also, it looks like my answer would be under a podcast, but since I don't own or know how to use a pod, where else would I look for this information?

Return to Top
#853754 - 11/13/07 09:57 PM Re: How to perform a search Nanwa
Reed Offline
Diamond Poster
Reed
West Coast
Does anyone know, is it possible to search both public and private banking related threads? In other words, is there any way to search all threads except the coolers and couch?

Return to Top
#853861 - 11/14/07 02:21 AM Re: How to perform a search Reed
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Click just the category Private Forums and Banker Forums while holding down the control button.

Return to Top
#853924 - 11/14/07 01:51 PM Re: How to perform a search rlcarey
Reed Offline
Diamond Poster
Reed
West Coast
Thanks!

Return to Top
#1114750 - 01/22/09 12:02 AM Re: How to perform a search Reed
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Is anyone else having trouble with the + feature when searching? I'm trying to run a search with 2 words (+grandfather+proof in the Lending forum). The result is any post that contains grandfather instead of ones that contain both words. When I switch it to +proof+grandfather it only pulls posts that contain "proof". Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Return to Top
#1114754 - 01/22/09 12:07 AM Re: How to perform a search Cowboys Fan
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think you need a space (+grandfather +proof)??

Return to Top
#1114755 - 01/22/09 12:13 AM Re: How to perform a search rlcarey
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Perfect - thank you Randy.

Return to Top
#1348766 - 02/24/10 10:15 PM Re: How to perform a search Cowboys Fan
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Ok...i must be dense....i printed out the directions on doing searches (and even a month or two ago i was getting successful hits), but now pretty much no matter what i enter, i am getting "there are no posts matching your query" or some such...i entered "SAFE Act" which i know has had some recent posts and got nothing.....i need help

Return to Top
#1348822 - 02/24/10 11:15 PM Re: How to perform a search raitchjay
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
I tried "SAFE Act" in a variety of ways and got nothing. Here's a thread that contains the phrase (in both the subject and body) but it didn't show up in any of my tries either. Just for fun I searched "HMDA" in the HMDA forum for the last year - no hits. I don't think the search feature inside of the threads is as robust as it used to be.

Return to Top
#1348986 - 02/25/10 02:54 PM Re: How to perform a search Cowboys Fan
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Thanks.....yeah recently, the search button is useless for me. thanks again.

Return to Top
#1350037 - 02/26/10 08:45 PM Re: How to perform a search raitchjay
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The video I have in the Soup section applies to threads as well. http://www.bankersonline.com/abcsoup/abcsoup.html Just use the correct URL.

Return to Top
#1368353 - 04/02/10 01:33 AM Only 1 Year? Andy_Z
elcinoca Offline
Platinum Poster
Elizabeth City, NC
It looks like the search feature now limits us to a one year time span. Is this a new "enhancement?" I'm not sure that's a good thing. Maybe there was an announcement somewhere and I haven't found it.

MarkB

Return to Top
#1369226 - 04/05/10 03:34 PM Re: Only 1 Year? elcinoca
Key Lime Pie Offline
100 Club
Louisville, KY
I didn't see anything either. Is this a permanent change I wonder?

Return to Top
#1369243 - 04/05/10 03:39 PM Re: Only 1 Year? Key Lime Pie
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I've never paid attention to that statement before but I just did a search and asked for information older than 3 years with my user ID. It pulled up threads from 2007.

Return to Top
#1369261 - 04/05/10 03:49 PM Re: Only 1 Year? Dan Persfull
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
We have a help ticket in on the search function. We have to rebuild the SQL database which means taking the threads down. To avoid a disruption we'll do that one evening very soon. That should fix the search issues. In the meantime, see my post above as a work-around.

Return to Top
#1369272 - 04/05/10 03:54 PM Re: Only 1 Year? Dan Persfull
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
I just tried a search on "all forums" and it would not accept anything over 1 year.

I know that long searches can bog down the system, but I often find my answer is over a year old. However, generally less than 2 years. I may not trust an answer older than that anyway. HMDA questions generally go in cycles of a little more than 1 year.

Return to Top
#1369333 - 04/05/10 04:36 PM Re: Only 1 Year? SMQ, CRCM
Michele_Petry Offline

Platinum Poster
Michele_Petry
Louisville, KY USA
The search database will be rebuilt and this should correct the problem.

Return to Top
#1369390 - 04/05/10 05:34 PM Re: Only 1 Year? Michele_Petry
Key Lime Pie Offline
100 Club
Louisville, KY
Glad to hear it. Thanks!

Return to Top
#1579673 - 07/19/11 01:10 PM Re: How to perform a search HallieK
Franke Offline
New Poster
Where is the Search Page?

Return to Top
#1579681 - 07/19/11 01:36 PM Re: How to perform a search Franke
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Scroll back to the top of this thread. You'll see:
Forum List My Stuff User List Active Topics Search FAQ

click on Search

Return to Top
#1801413 - 04/04/13 03:16 PM Re: How to perform a search Michele_Petry
*W*W* Offline
Platinum Poster
Is there any way to save a search?

Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Return to Top
#1801414 - 04/04/13 03:18 PM Re: How to perform a search Michele_Petry
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
You could always add a thread to your Watched Topics, then you could go back and view it anytime. That is what I do, at least. Not sure if that helps or not.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1801808 - 04/05/13 01:58 PM Re: How to perform a search *W*W*
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Originally Posted By: *W*W*
Is there any way to save a search?

Other than to save your search terms somewhere on your machine so you copy and paste, not that I know of.

Return to Top
#1852328 - 09/16/13 03:02 PM Re: How to perform a search Michele_Petry
Karen A. Luttrell Offline
Karen A. Luttrell
Central NY
SO FRUSTRATING TO DO A SEARCH!!

Return to Top
#1852332 - 09/16/13 03:13 PM Re: How to perform a search Michele_Petry
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
If you aren't finding what you need using the BOL search, try using a general search engine like Google and typing in "Bankersonline" before your keywords. I usually go this route and it has worked well for me in the past.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#2006615 - 04/07/15 05:40 PM Re: How to perform a search Michele_Petry
Mike Baker Offline
100 Club
Mike Baker
Tennessee
I thought that I had performed successful searches in the past, but now I am receiving an error message that it says that only adminstrators can see? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you.

Return to Top
#2006620 - 04/07/15 05:49 PM Re: How to perform a search Michele_Petry
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
I just tried it and it worked for me. The format looks different from what I have seen in the past, but I did not have any problems.

Return to Top
#2006636 - 04/07/15 06:52 PM Re: How to perform a search Michele_Petry
Mike Baker Offline
100 Club
Mike Baker
Tennessee

Thank you. I have narrowed it down. If I try to do the search within "body," I receive the following message:
"UBB Message We encountered a problem. The reason reported was
Database error only visible to forum administrators
Please click [ Back ] to return to the previous page."

However, if I do the search within "subject" or "subject and body," then it works.

Just wondering if this situation holds true for everyone or if I am the only one who has encountered it?

Thank you very much for your response.

Return to Top
#2149886 - 10/16/17 02:50 PM Re: How to perform a search Michele_Petry
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Search function appears to be broken currently.

Return to Top
#2149908 - 10/16/17 03:45 PM Re: How to perform a search Michele_Petry
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Beech....i tried it just now...seemed to work for me.

Return to Top
#2153659 - 11/15/17 04:26 PM Re: How to perform a search Michele_Petry
JoAnne Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
When I try to search today I am getting the following message: "You do not have permission to use the search engine". I am logged in.

Return to Top
#2153660 - 11/15/17 04:36 PM Re: How to perform a search Michele_Petry
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I believe there is a problem with the forums today as I saw where Randy already requested a fix.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3