Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1689328 - 04/17/12 01:36 PM Compensating non-lending personnel for consumer re
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are the any regulatory guidelines for compensating non-lending personnel for referrals of consumer (non-residential) loans and can restrictions be placed on payment of the referral such as only compensate the employee if the loan closes.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1689358 - 04/17/12 02:44 PM Re: Compensating non-lending personnel for consumer re Anonymous
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Referral fees for non-RESPA loans are not prohibited under federal law. We used to refer to these as bird dog fees as dealerships paid them often, though not to bank employees where there might be a conflict of interest. That is a key issue you want to watch for. Does your ethics policy address this at all?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

#1689797 - 04/18/12 01:54 PM Re: Compensating non-lending personnel for consumer re Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes that ethics policy does cover confict of interst. So for non-RESPA loans, payment of referral fees can be limited on the referrals that result in the loan being approved and closed.

#1689818 - 04/18/12 02:21 PM Re: Compensating non-lending personnel for consumer re Anonymous
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
There is no regulation on those loans, so referrals, approvals, denials, it isn't prohibited.

I think if this is your program you'd need a solid set of rules on who can do what, who gets credit, tracking who gets paid and watching tax implications.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale