Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1692888 - 04/26/12 04:13 PM Credit Analysis-Exempt or Non Exempt
lawooster Offline
I am new to Human Resources and have a question. We have an employee in our loan dept that we made a Credit Analysis, are they classified as Exempt? Thank you for any help you can give me with this.

Lee Ann

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1692902 - 04/26/12 04:40 PM Re: Credit Analysis-Exempt or Non Exempt lawooster
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I doubt it, they don't act independently enough. I'm sure they just follow bank guidelines and procedures.

Return to Top
#1693043 - 04/26/12 07:22 PM Re: Credit Analysis-Exempt or Non Exempt lawooster
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I think it depends on what is expected of the credit analyst. If they are simply inputting information, then probably not. If they are expected to analyze tax returns, cash flows, even make recommendations about credit approval or risk ratings, then I would look awfully hard at the professional exemption and adminstrative exemption.

I'm not an attorney, just telling you what I would look at.

Return to Top
#1693096 - 04/26/12 08:05 PM Re: Credit Analysis-Exempt or Non Exempt Jokerman
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
We just reviewed these at the end of the year. Heated debate but I still agree with our HR folks on non-exempt. Ours analyze the tax returns etc, but they are getting the data in a format for the decision-maker, the commercial loan officer. The analysis they do is using software and following bank procedures. It was the most contested position in our review. It helped to line up our other non-exempt positions...bookkeepers, mortgage loan originators and even some IT staff.

Return to Top
#1693101 - 04/26/12 08:08 PM Re: Credit Analysis-Exempt or Non Exempt lawooster
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Most banks I know went with non-exempt on analysts. I agree with the classification. Many hated to do it because the analysts would often work overtime but then that is the point, isn't it?
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1708703 - 06/08/12 08:47 PM Re: Credit Analysis-Exempt or Non Exempt lawooster
kiemo Offline
Gold Star
kiemo
MidUS
I have to side with Jokerman. Our Credit Analysts are very educated and perform procedures yes, but also have the ability to THINK individually and intelligently within their processes of analysis. Definately not in the same catagory as bookkeepers or even the LO's here!

Return to Top
#1709581 - 06/12/12 10:31 PM Re: Credit Analysis-Exempt or Non Exempt lawooster
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
our analysts, across all business lines, are exempt employees.

Return to Top
#1709590 - 06/13/12 12:12 AM Re: Credit Analysis-Exempt or Non Exempt lawooster
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I suggest that you have them as exempt, that you contact a good employment attorney and have them verify. They are not employees whose work involves servicing the business itself - but rather are part of the production operation. You need to read the mortgage loan officer ruling very carefully - not why the MLOs were found to not be eligible for exemption - but the actual basis for that ruling.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry