Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1693319 - 04/27/12 02:32 PM MSB - do you bank 'em?
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
Does your FI allow Money Service Businesses to open accounts? If so, would you be willing to share your best practices??

If so, please message me...I've got questions smile

Thanks!!!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1694531 - 05/01/12 08:23 PM Re: MSB - do you bank 'em? Lisa_Bates
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
**bump**

Still have MSB questions smile

Return to Top
#1694535 - 05/01/12 08:27 PM Re: MSB - do you bank 'em? Lisa_Bates
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Why the secrecy? If you have questions, just ask.

Return to Top
#1694536 - 05/01/12 08:30 PM Re: MSB - do you bank 'em? Lisa_Bates
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
And if you're concerned that providing too many specifics will identify specific clients, follow the directions to register for Private Forums

Return to Top
#1694542 - 05/01/12 08:39 PM Re: MSB - do you bank 'em? Lisa_Bates
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
I am wondering what types of enhanced due diligence others banks do for MSB customers....do you site visit? Do you require special agreements or assurity bonds for check cashing businesses? Do you have a special monthly service charge?

Return to Top
#1694547 - 05/01/12 08:50 PM Re: MSB - do you bank 'em? Lisa_Bates
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
We don't bank them any more, but a site visit was always required for obvious reasons. There are differences between MSB's, so I don't think there is one standard approach. For example, a busy Western Union location is not the same as the mom & pop convenience store which just also happens to cash a few checks a week.

The basics are: 1. request proof of registration with FinCEN and the state (if applicable). 2. Request copies of their AML policies & procedures. 3. Talk to their "Compliance Officer" to get an idea if they really understand what's going on.

In my area, the banks that do bank MSB's kill them on fees. I'm not talking analysis either. This is a specific fee based solely on the customer being an MSB. Depending on all of the relevant factors, I have heard of fees ranging from $500-$3,000 per month.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z