Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1697574 - 05/09/12 05:15 PM Active Duty Website
Ninky Offline
Gold Star
Ninky
Was there a change last year regarding the "dmdc" website that's available to verify active duty status? I seem to recall some announcement or notification, but cannot find anything on it. Thanks all.

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#1697700 - 05/09/12 06:40 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I don't recall any change. Many banks can't use it because you get warnings that it isn't a certified site something similar, as I recall.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1697832 - 05/09/12 08:38 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
WI Banker Offline
Gold Star
https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/scra/scraHome.do

You will probably get a certificate error and these options:

Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended).

I click the "Continue to this website (not recommended)" one and it lets me in...no problems. I get the same message for other military sites I go to for personal reasons. As for any changes, at the top of the page there's a News section you can check out.

Return to Top
#1698464 - 05/10/12 09:30 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I had the same "certificate error" and contacted our I.T. Department and presented them with the error message. They were able to address the certificate error and now I'm good to use the site without have to go thru "continue to this website".

Return to Top
#1698734 - 05/11/12 04:26 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Good deal. Some IT areas say "then stay out." But this is necessary information.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1715990 - 06/29/12 06:47 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
This website doesn't pick up any active duty National Guard. It shows he is not active duty, when he has been activated. Just FYI.

Return to Top
#1717459 - 07/05/12 09:28 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
National Guard and Regular Army are two different things.

Return to Top
#2010472 - 04/27/15 04:58 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Has anyone been in the website recently? I just tried and got an error message (after the certificate error):
HTTP 404 Error: Please try again or call the DMDC Support Center at 1-800-477-8227.

Return to Top
#2010511 - 04/27/15 06:23 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Never mind - we called and they are aware that there's an issue. Said to keep checking back.

Return to Top
#2027183 - 07/15/15 01:50 PM Re: Active Duty Website chenin
RR Sarah Online
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By chenin
This website doesn't pick up any active duty National Guard. It shows he is not active duty, when he has been activated. Just FYI.

How are others handling the National Guard/Reservist active duty check? We had a near miss with a National Guard member that had been called up and only found out (just before his car was repoed) by chance.

Return to Top
#2027273 - 07/15/15 05:47 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
It is important to understand that not all NG are covered by the SCRA. Generally a call-up under Title 10 is covered and for NG under Title 32, they must be called up for more than 30 consecutive days. When this happens they should be on the DMDC database. Does that mean it's 100% accurate, I don't think so and if you know it is not accurate, default to what provides the SM the most protection and "un-do" it afterwards if the SM wasn't really covered. But say the NG is on a 2 week summer duty, that isn't active duty as they are not called up for more than 30 days. Full time NG is also not covered.

Return to Top
#2027298 - 07/15/15 06:44 PM Re: Active Duty Website Andy_Z
RR Sarah Online
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
It's frustrating because, in this case, the SM was called up for more than 30 days and is not in the database. He received his orders in March to report this month. Guess there isn't much we can do other than call the repo guy off.

Return to Top
#2027304 - 07/15/15 06:58 PM Re: Active Duty Website RR Sarah
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By RR Sarah
It's frustrating because, in this case, the SM was called up for more than 30 days and is not in the database. He received his orders in March to report this month. Guess there isn't much we can do other than call the repo guy off.

How did you find out? Can you make that into a procedure?
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2027311 - 07/15/15 07:15 PM Re: Active Duty Website Kathleen O. Blanchard
RR Sarah Online
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
The Service Member's wife told our collections officer.

I would like to implement something at application but this was part of our indirect auto lending program. In house it would be no problem to add it to the application process but how do we get several auto dealers to do the same?

ETA: It is part of our collections procedures to check for active duty status if we are getting close to a repossession situation.
Last edited by RR Sarah; 07/15/15 07:16 PM.

Return to Top
#2029773 - 07/24/15 10:15 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
One thing you can do is ensure all areas in the bank coordinate this info. Time and again I read enforcement actions where one area hasn't made sufficient notes so that other depts, like collections, knows it is a service related account. It is one more step to preventing a problem.

Return to Top
#2041795 - 10/01/15 01:17 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
Patricia Online
Gold Star
Kansas
We have gone to https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appi/scra/welcome.xhtml to verify borrowers military status and get the message that the webpage is not available.

Is anyone else getting the same message?

Return to Top
#2048390 - 11/05/15 11:54 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
Breeco Offline
Breeco
Nebraska
Yes, we continue to get a message that says Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.dmdc.osd.mil (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
Automatically report details of possible security incidents to Google. Privacy policy
This server could not prove that it is www.dmdc.osd.mil; its security certificate is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.
Proceed to www.dmdc.osd.mil (unsafe)

Since we're dealing with SSNs, this is a huge concern.

Return to Top
#2056573 - 01/04/16 07:33 PM Re: Active Duty Website Ninky
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
If you click through, you will find a link that explains the certificate error and what to do. The DOD has a special certificate that you need to avoid the error.

It advises you:

A: All internet communications between your computer and the DMDC SCRA website are encrypted using SSL standards set by the Department of Defense. Under normal circumstances, web pages are automatically encrypted using a DoD certificate public key, in order to send Privacy Act data in an encrypted form across the Internet. If the certificate is not installed on your computer, you may experience security alerts from your browser.

(screenshot of error message)

Most web browsers don't come with the DoD certificates already installed. The best and most secure solution is for the user to install all of the DoD's public certificates in their web browser. That can be done by following the Public Key instructions at http://dodpki.c3pki.chamb.disa.mil/rootca.html. These are the official instructions provided by the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), which handles related security matters for the DoD.

For corporations, businesses or individuals with a local systems administrator, we recommend that installation of the DoD certificate be handled at the IT policy level through coordination with your local systems administrator. Once these certificates are installed, your browser should not display security warnings, as the certificate will be recognized by the browser.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z