Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1700772 - 05/17/12 06:52 PM Loans to Mortgage Lenders and Brokers
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
I seem to remember hearing or reading somewhere that loans to mortgage lenders, mortgage brokers and financial companies are not reported as small business loans. But I cannot remember where I heard it and I cannot find anything in the Guide to CRA Data Collecting and Reporting or Interagency Q&A.

Is this even the case, or did I hear some incorrect information somewhere?

If there is guidance out there, would anyone know where?

Would it matter whether our loan was for working capital or for re-lending ($1MM or less, of course)?

Thanks!

Return to Top
CRA
#1700866 - 05/17/12 08:35 PM Re: Loans to Mortgage Lenders and Brokers GuitarDude
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I know there is a separate category on the call report for loans to financial institutions but don't know if the ones metioned would be classified as such. I would read the call report instructions and see.

Return to Top
#1700887 - 05/17/12 09:25 PM Re: Loans to Mortgage Lenders and Brokers GuitarDude
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
That's it, I found it in the Call Report Instructions. Thank you CRAatBOK!

Return to Top
#1700897 - 05/17/12 10:05 PM Re: Loans to Mortgage Lenders and Brokers GuitarDude
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
You are welcome.

Return to Top
#1700917 - 05/17/12 10:55 PM Re: Loans to Mortgage Lenders and Brokers GuitarDude
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
What you can do is point out this lending in your performance context, detailing how many mortgages (or total $) in your area were funded due to financing from your bank.

Get some info on the loans funded (maybe pull their HMDA?) and talked sbout how much low/mod etc.

I would not leave it unmentioned.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1700922 - 05/17/12 11:39 PM Re: Loans to Mortgage Lenders and Brokers GuitarDude
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Unless it is preditory. frown

Return to Top
#1700923 - 05/17/12 11:46 PM Re: Loans to Mortgage Lenders and Brokers GuitarDude

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Right. That would be bad. But i see many that are not. It would be foolsh to leave it out of the banks performance data. If the bank is funding predatory loans via a broker or lender they need to address that issue.

I am aware of a bank that received a needs to improve because the investment area, unrelated to CRA investments, purchased a portfolio of subprime mortgages for the return. It negated all of the good work the bank had done.

Return to Top
#1701200 - 05/18/12 05:30 PM Re: Loans to Mortgage Lenders and Brokers GuitarDude
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
I used to cringe when I saw the bank I worked for make loans to Check Cashers and other types of preditory lenders. They just saw it as a great cash business. Grrrr.

Return to Top
#1701247 - 05/18/12 06:17 PM Re: Loans to Mortgage Lenders and Brokers GuitarDude

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Not all non-bank mortgage lenders make predatory loans. I see ones that are the normal stuff you see in a bank.

Return to Top
#1701288 - 05/18/12 07:05 PM Re: Loans to Mortgage Lenders and Brokers GuitarDude
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
True, but the bank should know for sure before making the loan.

Return to Top
#1701293 - 05/18/12 07:07 PM Re: Loans to Mortgage Lenders and Brokers GuitarDude

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Yes they should but that is a whole other discussion.

Return to Top