BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1701117 - 05/18/12 03:50 PM Favorite Airline/Airport
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
For those that travel often, what is your favorite air line/airport?

I have flown out of Cleveland quite a bit and would have to say that is one of my favorite airports. Pittsburgh is pretty cool, but the TSA lines can be pretty long. The TSA at Sky Harbor in Phoenix are pretty nasty and have very little patience. After this past Monday, O'Hare has to be my least favorite. I had a connecting flight through there Monday afternoon and I swear every flight in and out was delayed and gates were changing every two minutes.

For airlines, I have only flown Southwest one time, but really liked the flights. I used to like Continental but since they have become United it seems things have slipped a little. Never really had a problem with Delta. American was not my favorite. I flew Airtran once and it was pretty good, they have since been acquired by Southwest.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1701118 - 05/18/12 03:51 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
None, they all suck...

Return to Top
#1701119 - 05/18/12 03:52 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
A_G Online
10K Club
Jet Blue

Return to Top
#1701126 - 05/18/12 04:00 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Southwest Airlines!
Open seating (the trick is to log on EXACTLY 24 hours before the flight so you get a low # for Boarding Group A - or pony up the $10 for Early Bird, or travel enough that you get upgraded to Priority List) - NO CHARGE for up to 2 bags checked-in, and sometimes the flight attendants are hilarious!

Burbank Airport - it's a small airport and the food service is barely there, but it is a quick and efficient place to catch a flight and then come home.

They don't have the air ramps at Burbank, they still use the staircases. But - that means you can board as well as exit from both the front and back of the plane. You can always tell the more experienced travelers when on a flight going to Burbank. We all make a bee-line to the back of the plane!

Another cool thing is that as soon as the plane lands, it's a quick right hand turn and you're at the terminal. No taxi-ing about the tarmac for 10 minutes or so as you amble about to the gate. The landing CAN be a bit abrupt, and sometimes those Southwest pilots will get on the loudspeaker and apologize. Usually something along the lines of "Sorry about the bumping, but this is Burbank after all."

Return to Top
#1701131 - 05/18/12 04:05 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
I typically fly Alaska if I'm staying on the West Coast (although Alaska does go to Reagan in DC, so I've done that flight before). If I'm going cross country, I usually fly Delta. I flew down to California several times in the last year and a half. I used LAX, John Wayne/Orange County, Burbank, Long Beach, and Fresno airports. Of all of those airports, I liked LAX the least. Long Beach was probably the prettiest flight (sunset departure). The airport I'm most familiar with is Seattle.

Return to Top
#1701132 - 05/18/12 04:10 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Busy - my husband and I will be flying into Seattle in August.

My husband flew Southwest for the first time this week. They allowed him to pre-board (shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago and still in a sling). He really liked it - except for the flight home. They had the plane loaded and the door shut and had to re-open for someone who was petrified to fly and allow them to get off.

Return to Top
#1701136 - 05/18/12 04:12 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Least fave airport: Detroit. eek
2nd least fave: Atlanta

Fave airport: Chicago

Return to Top
#1701140 - 05/18/12 04:13 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Lagaudia or LAX (sorry I though you were looking for the worst airports)

I may be the only person who is not impressed with southwest.

JetBlue is the best. (if you do not have to leave out of LAX and land in Lag)

CAMS

Return to Top
#1701148 - 05/18/12 04:27 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I flew out of Harrisburg (PA) airport last week and it was pretty nice. Very small, quick trip through security, good service. One thing I didn't like is that you can not walk to the terminal from the long term parking lot, you have to take the shuttle, but other than that it was pretty nice and a little closer than Pittsburgh (which is usually considerably more expensive) or Cleveland.

Return to Top
#1701149 - 05/18/12 04:32 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
I like Akron-Canton the best. Its small enough that there are no security lines. If you are at the airport 45 minutes before takeoff you are there in plenty of time. AirTran flys out of there and I like their planes and the service. It about the same distance for us as Cleveland or Pittsburgh. SEcond choice is Cleveland.

Return to Top
#1701151 - 05/18/12 04:35 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I've never flown out of Akron, but it is the same distance for me as Cleveland. I have seen slightly cheaper fares there a couple of times, but they always seem to be gone when I go to book my flight.

Return to Top
#1701153 - 05/18/12 04:37 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Love Field out of Dallas......a snap to get in and out of, esp. compared to DFW.

Return to Top
#1701158 - 05/18/12 04:39 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
Originally Posted By: thomasj
I've never flown out of Akron, but it is the same distance for me as Cleveland. I have seen slightly cheaper fares there a couple of times, but they always seem to be gone when I go to book my flight.

You don't get many direct flights there although they are hard to find everywhere these days. We did fly non-stop to Florida. There are no crowds and parking is easy though. We have the advantage that my son lives in North Canton so we leave the car there.

Return to Top
#1701165 - 05/18/12 04:48 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport Ready to Retire
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Favorite--Kahului...just cuz it's in Maui, is open and airy, and is in Maui.... The new one in Denver was pretty cool when I had a layover there in 2007; lots to look at and do. Least favorite is probably Heathrow because it's so frickin' huge!

Return to Top
#1701170 - 05/18/12 04:52 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I prefer having a private pilot fly me. This is how we went to Laughlin last year and it was terrific. We also flew to the East Valley for brunch one morning, and that was pretty good too. If I ever return to Vegas, I would fly privately.

Return to Top
#1701172 - 05/18/12 04:54 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Southwest is by far the best airline I've flown. Love their service and business plan. You know what you're going to get, and they're on time most of the time.

Best airport - maybe Austin. It's not too big, and the shops and restaurants are better than most. My own little Lubbock, TX airport is pretty good too.

Worst - DFW when you come in two terminals and 20 gates away from your connecting flight. Houston is pretty miserable too.

Return to Top
#1701187 - 05/18/12 05:09 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport Lestie G
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
Originally Posted By: Lestie G
My own little Lubbock, TX airport is pretty good too.

I like the giant chess sets in the terminal smile

Return to Top
#1701215 - 05/18/12 05:43 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport Lisa_Bates
A_G Online
10K Club
Vegas airport is at least entertaining! laugh

Return to Top
#1701218 - 05/18/12 05:45 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport A_G
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
It is even entertaining when you place a 2 year old (Not you AG) at one of the slots and watch the employees go nutz. whistle

CAMS

Return to Top
#1701221 - 05/18/12 05:46 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I like Tampa... Clearwater International is nice too. Hardly ever a line for security and the terminals are nice. cool

O'Hare vs. Midway?? Midway wins! Plus its short runways make for exciting takeoffs and landings. eek

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1701222 - 05/18/12 05:47 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport manimal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: manimal
I like Tampa... Clearwater International is nice too. Hardly ever a line for security and the terminals are nice. cool

O'Hare vs. Mideway?? Mideway wins! Plus its short runways make for exciting takeoffs and landings. eek

Fixed smile

CAMS

Return to Top
#1701225 - 05/18/12 05:48 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I don't like DFW either. Seems like you taxi as long as you fly there.

I get a kick out of the Abilene TX little airport. The take security very seriously. Don't know whether it has something to do with the Base being there or what but come on, I am leaving town, not coming in. How many different ways can you check my ID in the 10 feet from security to gate?

DS, I went to Seattle in March. Nice airport. I took the train to my hotel downtown, cheap and easy.

Return to Top
#1701226 - 05/18/12 05:48 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
blush

It's so embarrasing when you realize you've mispelled.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1701228 - 05/18/12 05:49 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport manimal
A_G Online
10K Club
smirk

Return to Top
#1701232 - 05/18/12 05:53 PM Re: Favorite Airline/Airport thomasj
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I will never forget the time I flew into Mideway and we were almost on the ground when the plane jerked upward and we "took off" again. Pilot came on and said that the plane in front of us hadn't cleared the runway yet and he decided to go around again before landing. Kinda scary but glad he decided not to clip the guy in front of him. Where was air control???

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4