Thread Options
#1705397 - 05/31/12 08:34 PM Comments on "ability to repay" reopened
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
From BOL's 5/31/12 Top Stories:

• LATE-BREAKING: Bureau reopens comments on "ability-to-repay"
    The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (Bureau) has announced the reopening of the comment period on the Federal Reserve Board's May 11, 2011 proposed rulemaking under Dodd-Frank Act amendments to the Truth in Lending Act. The proposal would require creditors to determine a consumer's ability to repay a mortgage loan and would set minimum underwriting standards for home mortgages. The Bureau is specifically requesting comments on additional information it has obtained on the performance of securitized mortgage loans and on certain related matters. The comment period will end July 9, 2012.

• _________________________
    John S. Burnett
    BankersOnline.com
    Fighting for Compliance since 1976
    Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
    #1705510 - 06/01/12 10:44 AM Re: Comments on "ability to repay" reopened John Burnett
    Retired DQ Offline
    10K Club
    Retired DQ
    Turnpike Exit 10
    http://www.americanbanker.com/issues/177_105/mortgage-ability-repay-qualified-borrower-QM-1049788-1.html?ET=americanbanker:e10964:1368791a:&st=email&utm_source=editorial&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ABLA_Daily_Briefing_053112

Implementation will be at the end of 2012...

This whole rule is going to wreak havoc on consumers' ability to purchase a home in high priced areas, such as NJ. eek

Return to Top
    #1705515 - 06/01/12 11:24 AM Re: Comments on "ability to repay" reopened John Burnett
    Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
    Kathleen O. Blanchard
    A state that has affordable housing as a critical need!
    www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
    #1705524 - 06/01/12 12:45 PM Re: Comments on "ability to repay" reopened John Burnett
    Sinatra Fan Offline
    Power Poster
    Sinatra Fan
    New Jersey
    Originally Posted By: John Burnett
    The proposal would require creditors to determine a consumer's ability to repay a mortgage loan

Can't argue with that. Great googly moogly, if a lender isn't and hasn't been doing that all along, he's got no business lending!

Return to Top
    #1705546 - 06/01/12 01:17 PM Re: Comments on "ability to repay" reopened John Burnett
    Retired DQ Offline
    10K Club
    Retired DQ
    Turnpike Exit 10
    From what I understand is the the QM would require a 20% down payment... eek

Return to Top
    #1705557 - 06/01/12 01:35 PM Re: Comments on "ability to repay" reopened John Burnett
    DD Regs Offline
    Power Poster
    DD Regs
    Somewhere in the middle
    Admittidly, I haven't read the rule yet, just different commentaries, but isn't the QM standard for sellable loans? You would still have the inhouse portfolio option.

Return to Top
    #1708753 - 06/08/12 10:47 PM Re: Comments on "ability to repay" reopened DD Regs
    AuditorK Offline
    Platinum Poster
    PA
    Originally Posted By: DD Regs
    Admittidly, I haven't read the rule yet, just different commentaries, but isn't the QM standard for sellable loans? You would still have the inhouse portfolio option.

From what I've read, heard about, interpreted - it seems the QM standards would create repercussions on porfolio loans as well.

Return to Top
    #1708857 - 06/11/12 02:07 PM Re: Comments on "ability to repay" reopened John Burnett
    Retired DQ Offline
    10K Club
    Retired DQ
    Turnpike Exit 10

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z