Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1706282 - 06/04/12 06:47 PM Employee Accounts and Privacy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since everyone's pay goes into their internal bank account. There have recently been concerns that employees are looking at each other's account to determine how much they are paid. We are working to limit access to employee accounts, but are curious about how other banks limit this access. Are Deposit and Loan Operations and Tellers exempt from this access, or do you only allow key individuals in each area to service these accounts? Thank you for your input.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1706286 - 06/04/12 06:52 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
NO ONE except HR and Internal Audit have access to view our employee accounts that are designated for payroll.

#1706289 - 06/04/12 06:58 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
Coming to Grips Offline
100 Club
nebraska
Any employee account is coded as such. This limits everyone's ability to see activity within the account. For example, tellers can only see balances. Only branch managers can see transactions with an employee's accounts. Internal investigations monitors employee activity; only certain investigators within the department can see transactions.

#1706302 - 06/04/12 07:10 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
A_G Online
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Since everyone's pay goes into their internal bank account. There have recently been concerns that employees are looking at each other's account to determine how much they are paid. We are working to limit access to employee accounts, but are curious about how other banks limit this access. Are Deposit and Loan Operations and Tellers exempt from this access, or do you only allow key individuals in each area to service these accounts? Thank you for your input.

Depending on your system you should be able to see who is looking at what and when. I'd say it's pretty serious (and they should be disciplined) if employees are just randomly looking at accounts of other employees without a legit business reason aka just to be nosy!

#1706322 - 06/04/12 07:40 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
tdogz Offline
100 Club
tdogz
If all of your payroll is done via direct deposit, you also have to consider who has access to the ACH warehouse report. They can see every incoming and outgoing ACH item on that report, including payroll. It's a necessary report for Operations to have access to, so it can't be limited to only HR.

On a slightly-related tangent: someone's direct deposit doesn't necessarily reflect their true salary. 401k contributions, insurance choices, partial deposits to other accounts (or other banks), charitable contributions, direct loan payments, wage garnishment, etc. can all make your deposited paycheck smaller, even if you are paid more than someone with a higher deposited paycheck who doesn't have those things removed from their pay. Also, some people fudge their exemptions, which could make their pay appear higher or lower based on those calculations, but effects how much they owe on April 15th instead. So comparing their take-home pay to another employee doesn't always give them an accurate comparison of salaries (though the employee that is looking at other employees' paychecks probably doesn't realize that).

#1706327 - 06/04/12 07:48 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
My past experience is this is a core system issue and the ability to grant access to only certain individuals. I would have HR send out an e-mail advising employees they are never to review another employee's account without a purpose.

#1706330 - 06/04/12 07:51 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I agree, access to employee accounts should be limited. Additionally, if a specific employee is concerned, then they should have thier paycheck automatically deposited elsewhere. Reg. E will not allow you mandate that they have an account at your institution for payroill deposits.

#1706333 - 06/04/12 07:55 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
It is customary to limit who can view employee accounts and what can be viewed. When addressing the issue remind employees, even those authorized, that employees with accounts are customers and viewing customer data is on a need to know basis only subject to GLBA. it is a violation of federal law to just peruse accounts.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

#1706363 - 06/04/12 08:19 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Coming to Grips
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Originally Posted By: Coming to Grips
Any employee account is coded as such. This limits everyone's ability to see activity within the account. For example, tellers can only see balances. Only branch managers can see transactions with an employee's accounts. Internal investigations monitors employee activity; only certain investigators within the department can see transactions.
Same here.

#1706417 - 06/04/12 09:40 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
I do not bank where I work. It is simple as that. Won't EVER bank where I work. I don't want them in my financial business for ANYTHING. Too small of a community. smile

#1709117 - 06/11/12 09:28 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy rlcarey
ms.understood Offline
Washington
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
I agree, access to employee accounts should be limited. Additionally, if a specific employee is concerned, then they should have thier paycheck automatically deposited elsewhere. Reg. E will not allow you mandate that they have an account at your institution for payroill deposits.

Really? As far as I know, our credit union states that all payroll is deposited into an account within the institution. I'm almost sure it is in the employee handbook....

#1709121 - 06/11/12 09:35 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Do you have an option of getting a paper check vs. direct deposit? Or do they require direct deposit, into an account with your CU? I'd suggest a conversation with HR after reviewing the handbook.

I specifically recall being told I needed to open an account when I started working here, that was a few years prior to moving in this position. They have since changed the way the discussion is held and make sure not to even imply that the account is necessary to have payroll deposited into. That being said, I don't believe we have any staff that have elected to send their deposit elsewhere, which amazes me.

#1709123 - 06/11/12 09:38 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
NeBanker Offline
Gold Star
I review a report daily that shows if an employee account has been accessed by another employee. If I find where an employee has looked up another employees account I review to see what was looked at or what was done. Unauthorized access is not tolerated.

#1709170 - 06/12/12 11:44 AM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
BSA all the way Offline
BSA all the way
Jenny, I am with you!

#1709231 - 06/12/12 01:37 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy ms.understood
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: meowmeow
Originally Posted By: rlcarey

Really? As far as I know, our credit union states that all payroll is deposited into an account within the institution. I'm almost sure it is in the employee handbook....

Part 1005.10 of the CFPB's version of Reg E:

e) Compulsory use. (2) Employment or government benefit. No financial institution or other person may require a consumer to establish an account for receipt of electronic fund transfers with a particular institution as a condition of employment or receipt of a government benefit.

They have to give you the option to have it deposited elsewhere or to get a paper check.

#1709250 - 06/12/12 02:03 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I work in a small community bank and I have seen employee statements sitting in the printer. I have never banked where I work and never will.

#1709266 - 06/12/12 02:27 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Dazed Auditor
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: Dazed Auditor
I work in a small community bank and I have seen employee statements sitting in the printer. I have never banked where I work and never will.

Ditto that, well, I do have the obligatory savings account to get stock. smile

#1709394 - 06/12/12 05:34 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
so, what does it say about the banking industry that so many compliance people refuse to bank where they work?

#1709497 - 06/12/12 07:56 PM Re: Employee Accounts and Privacy Anonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It says that compliance people feel the same way about privacy as "civilian" customers do, and understand too well just how micro-managed bankers spend a lot of time monitoring things that they never monitored before. The two views are incompatible, so they look elsewhere for their banking services.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale