Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1706283 - 06/04/12 06:49 PM Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!!
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I take three prescription drugs. When I notice I'm getting low...usually less than one weeks worth in the bottle, I call in a refill. This past week, I called in a refill and was told that the insurance company wouldn't pay because I was premature with my refill request. I have an entire year's worth of refills left on this prescription. They are THAT controlling to point I can't be proactive and in a timeframe that's good for me in obtaining my next month's allotment. Sheesh!!! I'm glad I'm not leaving for a two week vacation. My options would be to do without or pay full price.

Just another example of how insurance companies rule the world.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1706291 - 06/04/12 07:02 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
that is odd, haven't heard of that, MsGilmore normally calls in when a week left as well, never had an issue. Have you tried the 90-day mail service option, or does your insurance not allow that? We do that for one of her prescriptions and it cuts costs greatly...

Return to Top
#1706304 - 06/04/12 07:13 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By: swiggles
I'm glad I'm not leaving for a two week vacation.

I'm worried about that problem myself. I leave for two weeks at the end of June, and I'm going to need refills during my trip. I've called too early before and couldn't get a refill, but I didn't know if it was the insurance or Walgreens making the decision. I could see if I was getting a bunch of oxycontin, but I don't think there's a real risk of my selling lipitor on the black market.

Return to Top
#1706306 - 06/04/12 07:13 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Swiggles - happened here, too. Yes, they are that controlling. It's more important that they do that on potentially addictive drugs, but I'm no longer surprised by much of anything anymore....

Return to Top
#1706309 - 06/04/12 07:16 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! Phoenix
A_G Offline
10K Club
I'm not sure the industry-correct term, but they do "vacation accommodation" refills - they'll give you some or all of the next refill early depending on how long you're gone. I had to get one back when I used to take Allegra.

I think the Dr. just has to give the okay to the pharmacy.

Return to Top
#1706312 - 06/04/12 07:23 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! A_G
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
This is actually going to happen to me next week. I will be out of state and my prescription will need to be refilled while I am gone. I called Walgreens, and they told me I could walk into any pharmacy down there (they looked them up and there are loads of them). I just couldn't call it in..I had to show up in person.

Return to Top
#1706315 - 06/04/12 07:26 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I've run into this problem, as well. I like to plan ahead and get my prescriptions refilled a bit early. I was turned down because it was "too early". The Walgreens employee told me it was the insurance company, so I called Blue Cross. They told me 5 days ahead is the maximum "early". So, 7 days ahead is too early.

If you're going to be on vacation, maybe transfer the prescription to a nationwide chain pharmacy before you go so you can get it filled where you will be? Or ask your doctor if he/she has samples or can write you a supplemental prescription to tide you over. Good luck! Freaking control-freak insurance companies! Grrrr.

Return to Top
#1706324 - 06/04/12 07:43 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
CheshireAliCat Offline
100 Club
NJ
My insurance company's new trick is having the doctor call them after ever other refill or so, to "verify" that the prescription is necessary. (And to "remind them of other, less expensive -and possibly non-prescription - alternatives, while they have the doctor on the phone.)

It took a few WEEKS to get them to approve my daughter's asthma medicine, but when I got them on the phone and threatened to sue them if she so much as started wheezing, suddenly it was approved. Go figure.

I HATE insurance companies right now.

Return to Top
#1706329 - 06/04/12 07:49 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
well, once Obamacare is put in place, all these troubles will go away. You'll be able to get what you want, when you want, and without having to pay a dime! I can hardly wait!!!

Return to Top
#1706336 - 06/04/12 07:59 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I take three prescription drugs. When I notice I'm getting low...usually less than one weeks worth in the bottle, I call in a refill. This past week, I called in a refill and was told that the insurance company wouldn't pay because I was premature with my refill request. I have an entire year's worth of refills left on this prescription. They are THAT controlling to point I can't be proactive and in a timeframe that's good for me in obtaining my next month's allotment. Sheesh!!! I'm glad I'm not leaving for a two week vacation. My options would be to do without or pay full price.

Just another example of how insurance companies rule the world.

You can get 3 month supply via mail order from most insurance companies, and if you go with a larger pharmacy like Walgrens, CVS, Kroger, etc., many will do a partial fill and give you a few pills if you need them before your insurance will let you fill the prescription. If you are going on vacation when you'll need it filled, they can contact your insurance company, tell them that, and have them give you a vacation waiver.

Want to know why you have to go through all this? Because people used to always fill as many prescriptions as they could before cancelling their insurance so they could get as many pills as they could and pay as little as they could for insurance. People would also get a script for something they didn't need, and sell it to people who didn't have insurance. This makes that less likely.

Long story short, yeah, you can only fill your medication prescriptions 5-7 days (depending on the insurance company) before you are due. If for some reason that is a hardship, whether you've lost a few pills, or won't be able to come in during the time you need them, the major pharmacies and insurance companies have ways to help you.

Return to Top
#1706341 - 06/04/12 08:02 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! BurntSienna
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By: BurntSienna

If you're going to be on vacation, maybe transfer the prescription to a nationwide chain pharmacy before you go so you can get it filled where you will be? Or ask your doctor if he/she has samples or can write you a supplemental prescription to tide you over. Good luck! Freaking control-freak insurance companies! Grrrr.

Won't work for me. I need an international pharmacy. Going to Ireland. If Walgreen/Blue Cross won't cooperate, I guess I'll ask the doctor, but that will be a $30 co-pay. LOL

Return to Top
#1706346 - 06/04/12 08:04 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! BurntSienna
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I've run into this problem, as well. I like to plan ahead and get my prescriptions refilled a bit early. I was turned down because it was "too early". The Walgreens employee told me it was the insurance company, so I called Blue Cross. They told me 5 days ahead is the maximum "early". So, 7 days ahead is too early.

Actually, no matter what pharmacy you use, you can have your prescription transfered to another pharmacy without a problem. Let's say you use Three Corners Drug Store in Nowheresville, Montana, and you're vacationing in Florida. You can go to any drug store there with your prescription bottle and they can use the information on it to contact your drug store (assuming they are open) and get the information to transfer the prescription to their store. You then have to transfer any remaining refills back to your regular store if you aren't with a nationwide chain the next time you fill it. On the other hand, if you use say Walmart or Walgreens to fill your prescription, you don't have to bring anything but your name, the name of the drug, and an ID to the store. They can help you get it at any of their locations easily. (They still do all the transfering, but they do it internally so you don't notice).

Mind you, there are special rules for certain classes of restricted drugs/narcotics.

Return to Top
#1706349 - 06/04/12 08:07 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! MyBrainHurts
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Won't work for me. I need an international pharmacy. Going to Ireland. If Walgreen/Blue Cross won't cooperate, I guess I'll ask the doctor, but that will be a $30 co-pay. LOL

Either get a 3 month supply, or a vacation waiver from your insurance company. Ireland is not cooperative with filling prescriptions from US doctors.

Return to Top
#1706376 - 06/04/12 08:29 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Kaiser makes it easy and my refill date is printed on teh label. It wasn't always though, and once I tried to refill by bc pills and was told i'd have to pay full price or wait a week. Hehe...what costs more? Pills or babies? smirk

Return to Top
#1706391 - 06/04/12 09:00 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
there's always abstinence...

Return to Top
#1706401 - 06/04/12 09:10 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
rustygrizwold Offline
New Poster
Midwest
Rhythm method?

Return to Top
#1706406 - 06/04/12 09:19 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! doobydoobydoo
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: MnBehindTheDrums

Then I do not want to hear of any married men complaining that their wives "aren't interested."

Return to Top
#1706407 - 06/04/12 09:20 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! rustygrizwold
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: rustygrizwold
Rhythm method?

DIY.

Return to Top
#1706415 - 06/04/12 09:37 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
The doc called in a Rx for my pregnant wife. It is an antinausea medicine. She went to pick up the meds and they did not fill it because they required the doctor call in to the insurance company to justify the medicine.

It has been a week and still no Rx...

Return to Top
#1706432 - 06/04/12 10:00 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! B_F
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Originally Posted By: B_F

Actually, no matter what pharmacy you use, you can have your prescription transfered to another pharmacy without a problem. Let's say you use Three Corners Drug Store in Nowheresville, Montana, and you're vacationing in Florida. You can go to any drug store there with your prescription bottle and they can use the information on it to contact your drug store (assuming they are open) and get the information to transfer the prescription to their store. You then have to transfer any remaining refills back to your regular store if you aren't with a nationwide chain the next time you fill it. On the other hand, if you use say Walmart or Walgreens to fill your prescription, you don't have to bring anything but your name, the name of the drug, and an ID to the store. They can help you get it at any of their locations easily. (They still do all the transfering, but they do it internally so you don't notice).

Mind you, there are special rules for certain classes of restricted drugs/narcotics.

Not to sound snippy but....this is just the thing I would love to do on vacation. smirk How frustrating!!!
Last edited by bOatn Shasta; 06/04/12 10:01 PM.

Return to Top
#1706438 - 06/04/12 10:41 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! Princess Romeo
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Princess Romeo

Then I do not want to hear of any married men complaining that their wives "aren't interested."

duh, that's what the upcoming Okie Weekend is for!!!

Return to Top
#1706441 - 06/04/12 10:56 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! HappyGilmore
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Originally Posted By: Princess Romeo

duh, that's what the upcoming Okie Weekend is for!!!

So Okie's kill the mood? Or does being one's own grandfather do that?

Return to Top
#1706474 - 06/05/12 12:22 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
This happened to me when I was going on a two week vacation. I called the Dr.'s office and explained it to his assistant. They told me I could stop by and pick up a supply of samples they had to tide me over and I didn't have to pay the co-pay since I didn't have to see the doctor. Call and ask.

Return to Top
#1706509 - 06/05/12 01:19 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! bOaty
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles

Won't work if you're on a 10 backpacking trip or a car camping tour where you're not really sure where you're gonna be on any given day....and even then, not typically in a town with national drugstore chains.

Return to Top
#1706513 - 06/05/12 01:24 PM Re: Insurance Companies!!...I swanee!!! swiggles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

Won't work if you're on a 10 backpacking trip or a car camping tour where you're not really sure where you're gonna be on any given day....and even then, not typically in a town with national drugstore chains.

sounds like you just need to change your vacation plans to a plush resort on Miami Beach - they have all the national chains there! shocked

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2