Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1707986 - 06/07/12 04:09 PM Combining Internal Audit and Compliance Officer
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
We are considering incorporating Internal Audit into Complinace being there is already some overlap. We will continue to have a third party come in to complete the independent audit piece. What else should we be looking at?

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1708010 - 06/07/12 04:23 PM Re: Combining Internal Audit and Compliance Officer DoS
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
depending on the size of your bank, how much additional workload this will bring to existing staff

Return to Top
#1708896 - 06/11/12 03:08 PM Re: Combining Internal Audit and Compliance Officer DoS
GoGreen Offline
Gold Star
PA
It depends on the size of the bank. We had this and now it is changed as a conflict of interest was stated by the examiners.

Return to Top
#1709034 - 06/11/12 06:59 PM Re: Combining Internal Audit and Compliance Officer DoS
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
in CRA terms we are almost an intermediate small bank. Can you elaborate on the confilcts of interest?

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#1709375 - 06/12/12 05:12 PM Re: Combining Internal Audit and Compliance Officer DoS
denali Offline
100 Club
Fairbanks, Alaska
In our most recent exam (FDIC-2011) we were told we had to separate audit and compliance. I had been the auditor and compliance officer. FDIC determined I had lost my independence. The positions are now separate. This was not a recommendation,FDIC wanted a commitment from our CEO that the positions would be split.

Return to Top
#1710224 - 06/14/12 01:19 PM Re: Combining Internal Audit and Compliance Officer DoS
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Independence is the key in the above post, IMHO. Growth would also promote change.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1710741 - 06/15/12 12:27 PM Re: Combining Internal Audit and Compliance Officer DoS
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
As auditor, you could not test the compliance work since you would be testing yourself. Someone independent of the compliance function should audit it.

If it is a multi-auditor shop, and another auditor could test it independently, then it might be worth a try. If the testing auditor was not familiar enough with compliance to be independent(or reported to the compliance officer), then independence would be compromised and you would need an external audit.

Return to Top