Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1629871 - 11/17/11 07:36 PM Deletion of Online Banking Accounts
SusanO Offline
New Poster
We have been analyzing procedures and processes for Online Banking and Mobile Banking. Specifically we are reviewing the number of days of inactivity before an Online or Mobile Banking account is deleted from the system. What is the risk in allowing these accounts to remain open?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1630056 - 11/18/11 12:17 AM Re: Deletion of Online Banking Accounts SusanO
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Like any dormant/inactive account there is a chance of abuse because of its status. Otherwise nothing comes to mind that is a particular risk because of the e-access.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1630066 - 11/18/11 02:09 AM Re: Deletion of Online Banking Accounts Andy_Z
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"Specifically we are reviewing the number of days of inactivity before an Online or Mobile Banking account is deleted from the system. What is the risk in allowing these accounts to remain open?"

Make sure you review what your on-line or mobile banking agreements say about cancelling accounts. You don't want to be cancelling these agreements without proper notice or in accordance with your contracts.

Return to Top
#1630955 - 11/21/11 06:15 PM Re: Deletion of Online Banking Accounts rlcarey
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Good point Randy.

I know many banks pay vendors based on accounts enrolled and they like to purge non-users. That period that warrants the boot should be in your agreement, and monitored.

For bankers doing this, what period of inactivity do you allow?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1631164 - 11/22/11 12:00 AM Re: Deletion of Online Banking Accounts Andy_Z
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
"We reserve the right to terminate your Online Banking and/or Bill Pay services if you fail to use the service for more than 90 consecutive calendar days."

Return to Top
#1631489 - 11/22/11 06:35 PM Re: Deletion of Online Banking Accounts 'Lil Freak!
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
That is logical to me. There is no reason for the bank to accept risk when there is no intent of use.

Return to Top
#1631742 - 11/22/11 11:54 PM Re: Deletion of Online Banking Accounts Andy_Z
Deputy Dawn Offline
Gold Star
Deputy Dawn
Pennsylvania
If you are just removing online access but still maintaining an actual account, make sure that you provide them with paper statements if they previously were receiving statements through their online banking.

Return to Top
#1712606 - 06/20/12 09:10 PM Re: Deletion of Online Banking Accounts SusanO
Always In Training Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the Green Grass Grows
Excuse me for the resurrection of this topic, but our system doesn't really delete the online account, just makes it inactive, we still maintain the account.

Do we need to convert these customers to paper statements once they go inactive online?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z