Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#171397 - 03/19/04 06:24 PM Undeliverable Mail
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am in charge of taking care of mail that is returned back to our bank. My question is if the label reads undeliverable mail, do we have to continue sending the statements out?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#171398 - 03/19/04 07:07 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No reason to waste the postage. Most banks have some sort of "lost contact" flag set on the account and the escheat clock starts to run.

Return to Top
#171399 - 03/20/04 04:25 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
mrenderman Offline
100 Club
mrenderman
Wisconsin
We also do not send out our accounts that are returned undeliverable mail. I agree that there is no reason to waste the postage when you know it is coming back. We change our address field to "underliverable mail" and it is stored in a secured location in the vault due to fraud security measures. We record the date that we receive the undeliverable mail and that is when we start our escheat dates. I hope that this helps.

Return to Top
#171400 - 03/20/04 04:41 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
Banker Boy Offline
Banker Boy
Florida
It's also a security risk. If you continue to send out statemtents that were previously returned undeliverable, there may be a chance that one will end up in the wrong hands.

Return to Top
#171401 - 03/22/04 03:17 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
Anonymous
Unregistered

We were recently written up by internal audit during a deposit operations audit for not "doing anything" with our returned mail. I am the Compliance Officer (formerly the auditor here) and I handle all undeliverable mail - it is controlled by me and kept locked in my office. When I was in audit and had an assistant, we would look up the accts with undeliverable statements on our system, forward those with new system addresses, and after 3 returns we would place a "hold in audit - undeliverable" address on those that did not have updated addresses. I told the auditors that when my role changed I no longer had time to "research" each and that I now review approx every 6 months. To me, researching was a courtesy to the customer -who in most cases did not bother to change their address with the Bank and it should not be an audit finding - I lost the fight! They also suggested that transaction reviews be done on these accounts from time to time - which I believe should be performed by internal audit but they disagree. Your thoughts please

Return to Top
#171402 - 03/22/04 03:51 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
All of what you describe with regard to handling return statement mail can be described as control functions. Who "owns" these control functions in a bank will depend on history, culture, power trips, egos, effectiveness, and a lot of other variables.

Evidently, Audit at your bank is under the impression that you "own" this albatross and took it with you when you changed responsbilities. My personal view is that none of this is a Compliance matter, and really belongs to either Operations or Audit.

So, if your bank is still into "silos" of responsibility, find a way to sweep this control function out of your silo, if you can. You stated it best: You won't have the time to retain this responsibility.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#171403 - 03/22/04 09:16 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
Anonymous
Unregistered

What should the retention period be for undeliverable mail? Not only statements but 1099's and other mail. The money may be escheated but that doesn't solve the issue of the statements.

Return to Top
#171404 - 03/22/04 09:19 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you can reproduce the statements/notices - drop them immediately in the shredder.

Return to Top
#171405 - 03/22/04 10:28 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
helpless Offline
100 Club
California
This is an Operations function. If it is written into policy with a procedure to follow everyone should be happy. (except maybe operations)

Return to Top
#171406 - 03/23/04 12:54 AM Re: Undeliverable Mail
Anonymous
Unregistered

We flag the account the first time mail is returned as undeliverable. I wonder if it would be a privacy issue to continue to send statements and the like after that first return.

Return to Top
#171407 - 03/23/04 05:08 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not necessary to retain the envelope for a certain period of time as proof of attempted delivery?

Return to Top
#171408 - 03/23/04 08:51 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
Belle Offline
Is it okay to charge customer's a fee for returned mail?

Return to Top
#171409 - 03/23/04 09:09 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Quote:

Is it okay to charge customer's a fee for returned mail?

This will probably depend on state law. We're allowed to charge a locater fee up to once every 12 months, but can only charge actual costs, not to exceed $2, I think. We don't, but we could. Check your state law to see what you're allowed, if anything.

Return to Top
#171410 - 03/23/04 10:11 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
Just Jean Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
It seems to me that to continue to send statements to an address you know is invalid is inviting trouble. While it's true that the customer has a duty to notify you of the change of address, you have a duty not to expose their information to identity theft.

Return to Top
#171411 - 03/24/04 01:48 PM Re: Undeliverable Mail
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
We flag the accounts as undeliverable, and while some slip through and get mailed occasionally, we simply put them in the dead letter file. You would think customers would notice not getting a statement, wouldn't you, especially after two or three months.

Most of the time if the statement has activity the correct address is on the printed checks/images in the statement. And if the account has deposits, find out which branch the customer goes to and notify that branch that you need a current address. I send out e-mails to the applicable branch and usually have a good address within a couple of days.

Return to Top