Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1715576 - 06/28/12 07:58 PM New CTR E-filing Problem
SunnyFL, CRCM Offline
100 Club
FL
You all helped greatly with another question about E-filing the "new" CTR, perhaps you can help with this one. (We sent our question to the help desk a week ago but I am sure they are swamped.) When we clicked to submit our first FinCEN CTR we got an error message saying there was a problem with Adobe Reader X. I am using Internet Explorer 8. Three "Legacy" CTRs were successfully submitted during the same session. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1715640 - 06/28/12 08:57 PM Re: New CTR E-filing Problem SunnyFL, CRCM
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
Top of the world... and never ...
Don't hate me for this...

1) Have you updated Adobe
2) These new forms are "picky" sometimes they won't open for me at all (a lot of E-filing LAAAAAGGGGGGGG) and I have to restart my entire system to get the forms to open correctly.
3) Complete the form and save it... close the form, close e-filing, re-open e-filing, re-open as an "existing" document.

The new forms are great, but their coding and e-filings shaky "application" sometimes make filing them very frustrating. To wit, they give you 15 days, sometimes you need more than 1 just to e-file the fricking things...

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

Return to Top
#1715707 - 06/29/12 12:11 PM Re: New CTR E-filing Problem AFaquir
SunnyFL, CRCM Offline
100 Club
FL
Yes to the updates - even I.T. is stumped but I will pass this along and will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestions!

Return to Top
#1715710 - 06/29/12 12:22 PM Re: New CTR E-filing Problem SunnyFL, CRCM
Deputy Dawn Offline
Gold Star
Deputy Dawn
Pennsylvania
Are you doing discrete filings?

On the left hand side, the top section has File CTR, but that is for the Legacy CTR's.

To file the new CTR's, you have to scroll all the way down and click the File FINCEN CTR (New Reports section).

I had the same problem until someone here pointed out that section to me.

Return to Top
#1715932 - 06/29/12 05:28 PM Re: New CTR E-filing Problem Deputy Dawn
SunnyFL, CRCM Offline
100 Club
FL
Thanks but we are past that point. We get the error when we try to submit.

Return to Top
#1717448 - 07/05/12 09:01 PM Re: New CTR E-filing Problem SunnyFL, CRCM
NU Rhules Offline
Gold Star
NU Rhules
SE, Nebraska
You have 25 days to submit efiled CTRs.

Return to Top
#1717506 - 07/06/12 12:20 PM Re: New CTR E-filing Problem NU Rhules
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Only until 3/31/2013. And I think the 25 days only really applies to batch filers. See Q&A below.

http://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/FAQs.html#categ_06_quest_03

Must CTRs (Currency Transaction Reports) be filed within 15 days after the transaction date?

Yes. FinCEN announced a change in the CTR electronic filing specification for the CTR from the current 25-days to 15-days. FinCEN regulations have consistently maintained a regulatory requirement that CTRs be filed within 15 days. Notwithstanding this requirement, in connection with its receipt of magnetic media files initiated in late 1987, and ending in December 2008, FinCEN issued electronic specifications referencing a 25-day period to assist institutions seeking to take advantage of this filing method via a common business practice of submitting magnetic media files on a fixed schedule. The 25-day period was implemented to account for physically transporting (shipping) the magnetic media to the processing center in Detroit, Michigan. FinCEN understands that this business practice has continued with respect to batch e-filing. In light of the comments received and acknowledging that some financial institutions may need to change their business processes to become compliant with the rules, FinCEN has determined that it will temporarily maintain the 25-day compliance period referenced in its earlier specifications until March 31, 2013, for those filers that need to update their systems in order to be in compliance with the established regulatory requirements. The FinCEN CTR filing specifications may be viewed at http://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/news/ FinCENCTRElectronicFilingRequirements.pdf.

Return to Top
#1717563 - 07/06/12 01:55 PM Re: New CTR E-filing Problem Dani York, CRCM
SunnyFL, CRCM Offline
100 Club
FL
Yes Dani - I believe you are correct on the timing. We are not having any timing issues (yet) and are well within the limits; I guess we are just having issues like everyone else with one thing or another. We have been efiling for some time with no problem. Last week we thought we would give the new FinCEN form a try and that was when our problems started. We had trouble with log-ins that have finally been resolved but we now we get an error message when we try to submit the new form. We have a great contact at the help desk (emails us right back!) who admits they are still having issues but does not have an answer for us yet either. This week we even had trouble with the legacy form but were finally successful with that this morning. I think we are just going to relax and wait for the dust to settle before we try the new FinCEN form again.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z