Thread Options
#1717193 - 07/05/12 03:32 PM Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review
A_G Online
10K Club
Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review

Poor kid! No good deed goes unpunished.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1717196 - 07/05/12 03:37 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I'd love to save you sir, but you are just outside the line. If you can float closer, I can help.

Return to Top
#1717197 - 07/05/12 03:37 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Saw this io the news today...and several other lifeguards have resigned in support. And the city said they expect everyone to be protected regardless of where on the beach they are. And the owner of the lifeguard company said they will review and if they made a decision in haste, they will reinstate him.

The said thinkg is if he hadn't done anything, he could and likely would have been held liable for not providing assistance...most states have a "trained responder" law on the books that requires them to provide assistance. Really a balck eye for the city and lifeguard company...

Return to Top
#1717199 - 07/05/12 03:40 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review HappyGilmore
A_G Online
10K Club
"I was on stand, and guests came up to me and told me there was someone drowning, that people were screaming and so I started running in the direction," Lopez told NBC Miami. "I ran out to do the job I was trained to do—I didn't think about it at all."

Good for him - a very admirable 21 year old! cool

Return to Top
#1717209 - 07/05/12 03:57 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Susan Ellis is an apparent rule oriented moron, at least based on the information in the story.
Its not like the kid was out of his area trying to nail a bikini queen, he was rendering aid to a drowning swimmer for Pete's sake!
I mean....really?! crazy mad

Return to Top
#1717211 - 07/05/12 03:59 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review Bankbb1, PITA
A_G Online
10K Club
I'm wondering if Susan Ellis would feel the same if it were her kid out there. smirk

Return to Top
#1717214 - 07/05/12 04:00 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Dear goat, that is just pathetic of them to fire the kid. frown

Return to Top
#1717219 - 07/05/12 04:05 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
something tells me Susan Ellis got the job because Jeff Ellis is her dad, brother, or husband...and I bet the city is reviewing their contract with Jeff Ellis and looking how quickly they can terminate it...

Return to Top
#1717263 - 07/05/12 05:05 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: Mr. A_G-DDD
"I was on stand, and guests came up to me and told me there was someone drowning, that people were screaming and so I started running in the direction," Lopez told NBC Miami. "I ran out to do the job I was trained to do—I didn't think about it at all."

Good for him - a very admirable 21 year old! cool

He can be your role model-maybe you could be that selfless when you hit 21.

Return to Top
#1717301 - 07/05/12 05:44 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/05/hero-or-legal-liability/

he gets his job back, but no word on the other 9 who quit in support or were fired for publicly stating they would do the same

Return to Top
#1717303 - 07/05/12 05:46 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review HappyGilmore
A_G Online
10K Club
Well, at least Faux got this story up in a timely fashion! laugh

Return to Top
#1717304 - 07/05/12 05:47 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
*giggles* there was no shock and awe, AG... smile

Return to Top
#1717308 - 07/05/12 05:51 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Due to legal liabilities, the company has a policy of firing any lifeguard who rescues someone outside their jurisdiction.

"We have liability issues and can't go out of the protected area," supervisor Susan Ellis initially told the Sun-Sentinel. "What he did was his own decision. He knew the company rules and did what he thought he needed to do."

Can someone point to the law that has different liabilities for section "A" and section "A" + 2 feet outside of section "A"

CAMS

Return to Top
#1717309 - 07/05/12 05:52 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Actually that is an update to the story that ran earlier on Fox smirk

Return to Top
#1717341 - 07/05/12 06:32 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I haven't read the story but I did hear on the radio that when he ran over there were already other lifeguards rescuing the person and he did not assist in the rescue. If that was the case and there was no one watching the area that he should have been watching, what kind of trouble would there have been if someone needed his assistance?

I admire that he wanted to help but if the other area was covered, should he have left his area uncovered to be part of the rescue?

Return to Top
#1717354 - 07/05/12 06:43 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I thought no one else was on duty across this lifeguard's 'line'.

I can't read the link at work, but from the morning news, I believe the liability being referred to is the insurance liability of the private lifeguard company that fired this young man.
It's another 'big bad insurance company' story.
Same logic that keeps many medical personnel from stopping to help at a car accident they see on the way home. If the victim dies and they get sued, as happens all too often when grieving relatives can't deal with reality, their malpractice insurance doesn't cover them. They could lose everything, including their career, for stopping to give aid.

Same thing here. The company could get sued for all kinds of issues that their insurance wouldn't cover 'past the line.'

Return to Top
#1717357 - 07/05/12 06:47 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
louisiana passed a law that if a medically trained person is present and they don't assist then they are charged for not providing aid...

and I saw the interview with this young man, he said when he got there the guy had been pulled from the water and he and a nurse provided comfort and treatment until the paramedics arrived...didn't specify what the treatment was, other than to say he got him into a "(don't recall the medical name)position" to assist with breathing

Return to Top
#1717366 - 07/05/12 06:51 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review HappyGilmore
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
louisiana passed a law that if a medically trained person is present and they don't assist then they are charged for not providing aid...

and I saw the interview with this young man, he said when he got there the guy had been pulled from the water and he and a nurse provided comfort and treatment until the paramedics arrived...didn't specify what the treatment was, other than to say he got him into a "(don't recall the medical name)position" to assist with breathing

I saw that interview this morning on TWC. He said he held the guy in "the recovery postition"...whatever that is.

Return to Top
#1717369 - 07/05/12 06:53 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
all i know is that the 1 summer I was a lifeguard, not 1 hot chick ever had issues and needed ressucitation...and all this guy did was run down a beach and turn someone on his side and he's all over the news...

Return to Top
#1717374 - 07/05/12 06:58 PM Re: Lifeguard’s controversial firing under review A_G
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
turned his head so he wouldn't "choke" on anything he might have swallowed while drowning, if I had to guess.
Last edited by RR Joker; 07/05/12 06:59 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top