Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1716006 - 06/29/12 07:12 PM Charging for withdrawals from new SSA cards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can banks legally charge a fee for non-customers to withdrawal using the new Direct Express debit Mastercard cards?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1716047 - 06/29/12 07:52 PM Re: Charging for withdrawals from new SSA cards Anonymous
Marnie Offline
Gold Star
Nevada
Yes, see this link, then under q&a for fees:

http://www.usdirectexpress.com/edcfdtclient/docs/faq.html

#1716050 - 06/29/12 07:57 PM Re: Charging for withdrawals from new SSA cards Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think the answer is actually no:

You can go to any bank or credit union that displays the MasterCard® acceptance mark and get cash from a teller free of charge.

#1716051 - 06/29/12 07:57 PM Re: Charging for withdrawals from new SSA cards Marnie
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I know I researched this before and if the customer brings the card into the bank and we run it through our machine, we can not charge a fee. The fees they are charged otherwise are ATM fees.

3.2 How do I avoid transaction fees while using my Direct Express® card?

— We encourage you to look closely at the fee summary above so you can be sure to use your card wisely and avoid fees whenever possible.

You can keep your fees low if you use a Direct Express® card surcharge-free network ATM to make your one free withdrawal. For subsequent withdrawals, use a Direct Express® card surcharge-free network ATM to reduce the amount of fees that you pay.
You can avoid fees by using your Direct Express® card at stores and retail locations to pay for purchases instead of getting cash at an ATM.
When you make a purchase using your PIN number, at many places, especially grocery stores you can also get cash back for free.
You can go to any bank or credit union that displays the MasterCard® acceptance mark and get cash from a teller free of charge.
You can use your Direct Express® card to buy money orders at the U.S. Post Office and other locations that accept Debit MasterCard®.

#1716052 - 06/29/12 08:01 PM Re: Charging for withdrawals from new SSA cards Anonymous
BFrame Offline
Gold Star
BFrame
USA
I clicked the link provided by Marnie. Are you referring to ATM fees or non-customer cash advance fees?

From what I read, a customer may have a fee using your ATM if it is not in the Direct Express network.
However, if you display the MasterCard acceptance mark, the person can get cash from the teller free of charge.

3.6 What if I don't live near a Direct Express® card surcharge-free network ATM?

— Even if you don't live near a Direct Express® card surcharge-free network ATM you can avoid fees by

Using your Direct Express® card at retail locations when you make purchases instead of getting cash at an ATM.
Getting cash back for free when you make purchases at many retail locations
Going to any bank or credit union that displays the MasterCard® acceptance mark and get cash from a teller free of charge.

#1716217 - 07/02/12 03:14 PM Re: Charging for withdrawals from new SSA cards BFrame
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Originally Posted By: ItsOK
I clicked the link provided by Marnie. Are you referring to ATM fees or non-customer cash advance fees?

Hopefully you're not charging a non-customer cash advance fee. That is prohibited by your MC agreement.

#1718165 - 07/09/12 04:32 PM Re: Charging for withdrawals from new SSA cards Anonymous
cheech Offline
100 Club
Chatsworh PA
We called Visa/Mastercard, NOT allowed to charge a fee. It looks like it will be the cost of doing business. So what is cheaper, opening an account for direct deposit or doing a cash advance. If all the money is withdrawn, then it is is cheaper to do a cash advance.

Hope that makes sense.

BTW, sure wish these had a spell check.

#1718323 - 07/09/12 08:32 PM Re: Charging for withdrawals from new SSA cards Anonymous
Slowpanic Offline
100 Club
Slowpanic
USA
A quick question that is kind of on the same topic. Are we allowed to charge cash advance fees at all? Some at my bank say yes and some say no. Any guidance would be very helpful. Thank you

#1718325 - 07/09/12 08:35 PM Re: Charging for withdrawals from new SSA cards Anonymous
Slowpanic Offline
100 Club
Slowpanic
USA
Found the answer in the info vault. Sorry should have looked there first. Thanks

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale