BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Thread Options
#2019572 - 06/10/15 05:38 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
As a caffeine-free Diet Coke addict, how does giving up a diet soda help you lose weight? I can see it might be good to give it up for other reasons (actually I just say that to be politically correct - I can't think of any other reasons, either) but why does it effect overall weight?

Return to Top
#2019602 - 06/10/15 07:08 PM Re: Yay me, I think. DEL
mtngrrl Offline
Platinum Poster
mtngrrl
Northern California
Originally Posted By DEL
As a caffeine-free Diet Coke addict, how does giving up a diet soda help you lose weight? I can see it might be good to give it up for other reasons (actually I just say that to be politically correct - I can't think of any other reasons, either) but why does it effect overall weight?

There are lots of articles out there on recent discoveries linking diet soda with diabetes and weight gain. Here's just a start, from the New York Post:

Originally Posted By nypost
While you may have started drinking diet soda to facilitate weight loss, quitting it may actually do the trick. A recent nine-year study found older adults who drank diet soda continued to pack on belly fat. The study piggybacks on research that found each daily diet soda increases your chance of becoming obese in the next decade by 65 percent, and a study published in Diabetes Care that found drinking diet soft drinks daily was associated with an increase in metabolic syndrome — obesity, high blood pressure, high triglycerides — which leads to heart disease and diabetes.

Return to Top
#2019622 - 06/10/15 07:39 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Wait...if 70 is the new 40...and 40 is the new 20...Then we just keep getting younger again right?

Return to Top
#2019643 - 06/10/15 08:25 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I quit all sodas (I only drank diet) about 5 years ago. It was tough at first, but when I decided to cut all artificial sweeteners - it got much easier. That meant learning to drink tea with no splenda or Sweet n Low (allergic to aspartame). Once I did that, I didn't crave the sodas at all anymore.

Return to Top
#2019693 - 06/10/15 09:35 PM Re: Yay me, I think. doodles
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By doodles
I was a Diet Dr. Pepper addict up until mid January. I gave it up and since then have been able to lose 40 lbs and have more to lose. I would drink 2 20 oz bottles a day at work. I missed them at first but now I am okay. Not sure what would happen if I fell off the wagon and had one (but based on what others are saying I better not slip and have one).

40 pounds in 5 months? Seriously? From quitting 2 20 oz a day? Well, this will be my last pepsi. I swear. I don't have a problem. I can give them up anytime I want. cry

Return to Top
#2019744 - 06/11/15 12:46 PM Re: Yay me, I think. Lestie G
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Originally Posted By Lestie G
I quit all sodas (I only drank diet) about 5 years ago. It was tough at first, but when I decided to cut all artificial sweeteners - it got much easier. That meant learning to drink tea with no splenda or Sweet n Low (allergic to aspartame). Once I did that, I didn't crave the sodas at all anymore.

Right now I drink very little caffeinated coffee or tea, and I've never liked sugar/sweetener in either of them. I drink a lot of herbal tea. Is it the artificial sweetener that's bad? Also, what about all the flavored seltzer waters? If I find out they're also bad for me my world may collapse! cry

Return to Top
#2019778 - 06/11/15 02:10 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I don't do any artificial sweetener. If I'm going to drink it, I'm having the real thing.

Return to Top
#2019805 - 06/11/15 02:52 PM Re: Yay me, I think. DEL
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
Originally Posted By DEL
Also, what about all the flavored seltzer waters? If I find out they're also bad for me my world may collapse! cry

I'm wondering this as well. I can't seem to find anything about sparkling waters. However, in looking at the ingredients, a lot of them use Aspartame as the sweetener which I try to avoid. I'm drinking Skinnygirl Sparklers now which are sweetened with sucralose but I'm not sure that's any better than Aspartame. I limit myself to one a day, at most.
Last edited by Justin Case; 06/11/15 02:53 PM.

Return to Top
#2019914 - 06/11/15 05:38 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Take a pitcher of water - slice up lemons, limes, oranges and put slices in pitcher of water. refrigerate. drink and enjoy without guilt!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2019922 - 06/11/15 05:53 PM Re: Yay me, I think. waldensouth
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By waldensouth
Take a pitcher of water - slice up lemons, limes, oranges and put slices in pitcher of water. refrigerate. drink and enjoy without guilt!

no guilt for plant murder? laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#2019925 - 06/11/15 05:55 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Water with sliced up lemons and cucumbers is also tasty.

Return to Top
#2019998 - 06/11/15 09:27 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Feels like a line out of an AA meeting...

Hi, I'm Princess Romeo and it's been 3 years and 2 months since my last soda, diet or otherwise.

I have to say I don't miss it. I drink water, carbonated water, unsweetened tea, or coffee.

I am now wearing either size 2 or 4 pants vs. size 18 or 20 three years ago.

Blood pressure, blood sugar, HDL levels, etc. are all in the good range vs. the "danger" zone they were in.

Return to Top
#2020036 - 06/12/15 12:53 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
I have been using Stevia in my coffee. It is a natural sugar, no calories. I am sure in a year or so it will be deemed unhealthy.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#2020069 - 06/12/15 02:25 PM Re: Yay me, I think. Princess Romeo
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By Princess Romeo
Feels like a line out of an AA meeting...

Hi, I'm Princess Romeo and it's been 3 years and 2 months since my last soda, diet or otherwise.

I have to say I don't miss it. I drink water, carbonated water, unsweetened tea, or coffee.

I am now wearing either size 2 or 4 pants vs. size 18 or 20 three years ago.

Blood pressure, blood sugar, HDL levels, etc. are all in the good range vs. the "danger" zone they were in.

Woot! That is awesome and a serious accomplishment. Congrats!

Return to Top
#2020072 - 06/12/15 02:28 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
^^^^^Ditto what Okie said!

Return to Top
#2020487 - 06/15/15 05:52 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Here in Texas, we can get sodas made with real cane sugar, bottled in Mexico. But, like so many of you, I have stopped drinking sodas too.

My issue was not weight, it was Class C Los Angeles Esophagitis. It was an easy choice. Stop drinking the poison or die!

Return to Top
#2020497 - 06/15/15 06:10 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Only 2 Pepsis since last Wednesday! I am rather proud of that. I didn't beat myself up for those two and that made a difference I think.

Return to Top
#2020524 - 06/15/15 07:09 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
Khaleesi Offline
Khaleesi
Old Valeria
I don't know...I switched to diet soda a few years ago along with other changes and lost 65lbs. I went from a size 14 to a 00. (Seems extreme, but I'm short at just under 5ft 4) Now, I will probably die sooner and be preserved forever from the aspartame, but so be it. smile I fully admit, I'm addicted to the stuff. Congrats to those that have managed to stay away from this stuff!

Return to Top
#2021705 - 06/19/15 09:35 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I gave up pop about 4 weeks ago, after falling off the wagon. Back in 2000 I had to quit Coke, I was drinking 2 cans and a large Coke from McDs or BK. Was having headaches, so the Dr cut caffeine from my diet. That was Nov 2000. I remember 2 mos into it, when I found a 6 pack of Coke in the basement. I opened it and was sitting in the corner sipping it (that adds to the flavor) when my wife walked into the basement and said I was pathetic laugh

I still treat my self occasionaly to a coke. But I treat it like a treat. Put it in the garage fridge, and allow myself a sip or 2 every other day. Will make the bottle last all week. usually goes flat and I pour it out. I only do this about every other month.

Return to Top
#2029642 - 07/24/15 06:18 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Just past my 3 years smoke free anniversary. Also limiting pop to one every few days. Feeling good and losing a little bit of that weight!

Return to Top
#2029687 - 07/24/15 07:22 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Congrats Okie!

Return to Top
#2162317 - 01/29/18 10:35 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
5 1/2 years and I'm still a QUITTER!

Return to Top
#2162351 - 01/30/18 12:54 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Good for you, HRH! That's wonderful news!

Return to Top
#2162352 - 01/30/18 01:00 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
YAY HRH!

Return to Top
#2162386 - 01/30/18 03:42 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Congrats on changing your life and being and influence to those around you for the better. Overcoming addiction takes so much strength.

Return to Top
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett