Thread Options
#1717329 - 07/05/12 06:17 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
Quatro Offline
SC
Originally Posted By: Okie Banker
It's the dang habitual that is the killer:

-Get in the car - light up
-Get home, change, get ready to go out and water plants - light up
-Almost ready to get to [where ever I'm going] - oohhh better light up. Don't know when you might get the chance again.
-Finished eating - light up
-Wake up - light up

A friend of mine, who was a big smoker as in 2-3 packs a day, quit a couple years ago and said the habitual ones were the worst. He kept a straw in his truck so when he got in he had something to chew on. Hanging out in his yard grilling or whatever, he always kept sunflower seeds close. And going out to eat, as soon as dinner was over, he started chewing gum (sugarless of course). He saved a (as in singular) cigarette from his last pack and kept it on him at all times. Whenever he had a craving he would ask himself if things were bad enough to smoke his last one. After a couple minutes going back and forth in his head, he said the craving subsided and eventually the cravings stopped completely.

By this point the nicotine is out of your system, it's all psychological now. They say it takes two weeks to form a habit or break you of one, so just think how close you are now to breaking those old habits but making walking on the treadmill your newer healthier one!

Return to Top
#1717355 - 07/05/12 06:44 PM Re: Yay me, I think. Retired DQ
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Originally Posted By: DeeQ
Best of luck, feel better and good for you on quitting the evil habit!

I can't wait to read when you post that you quit.

Return to Top
#1717499 - 07/06/12 11:38 AM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
shocked wink

Return to Top
#1717504 - 07/06/12 12:17 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
My grandfater, whom I idolized, was a habitual smoker (to the tune of nearly a carton a day). He lit a cigarette in the morning and continued to light each successive cigrette with the current one. He stopped a meal time if it was at the house, but continue at the cafe....yes, during the meal.
He weighed 78 pounds when we buried him.
Sort of killed much desire for cigarettes for me.

Return to Top
#1717763 - 07/06/12 05:47 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Way to Go, Okie Banker! Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in this life. The benefits FAR outweigh the temporary madness/frustration. I am years and years smoke-free now, and it's amazing how much better I feel, how many fewer colds and upper respiratory illnesses I get. Everything smells and tastes better! Hang in there!

Return to Top
#1718046 - 07/09/12 01:30 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I'm hanging in there. The last 10 days weren't no Fourth of July picnic! I finally took a few days off since I was going crazy between all the steriods I was on and with the no smoking heebie jeebies.

I am much better today and still smoke free. ::insert snappy little happy dance here::

Thanks for the support everyone. It helps!

Return to Top
#1719190 - 07/11/12 09:11 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Well done, Okie! Proud of you. smile

Return to Top
#1719262 - 07/12/12 11:49 AM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Yay you! Keep up the good work. I've been smoke free for over 10 years now and honestly the thought of smoking now makes me almost sick. I know that may not be normal, but it's working for me.

Return to Top
#1719293 - 07/12/12 01:19 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Okie, you are doing great!! Hang tough, you have done so much and the reward is so worth it!

Return to Top
#1719355 - 07/12/12 03:02 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Thanks y'all. It is two weeks today and I am really doing ok on the smoking side. My allergies induced asthma is kicking my butt along with the steriods. I'm having a tougher time with the steroids, which I hate, than the non-smoking, if you can believe it. Between the no sleep, the "head in the clouds" feeling of the allergies and the constant hunger of the steriods matched with the constant wanting to eat to keep my hands and mouth busy of the non-smoking it's a wonder I'm not Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

But I'm ok. The sun'll come out tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar.

Return to Top
#1719363 - 07/12/12 03:08 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Heeeere's Okie! laugh

This too shall pass.... smile

Return to Top
#1719367 - 07/12/12 03:11 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Okie Banker
Thanks y'all. It is two weeks today and I am really doing ok on the smoking side. My allergies induced asthma is kicking my butt along with the steriods. I'm having a tougher time with the steroids, which I hate, than the non-smoking, if you can believe it. Between the no sleep, the "head in the clouds" feeling of the allergies and the constant hunger of the steriods matched with the constant wanting to eat to keep my hands and mouth busy of the non-smoking it's a wonder I'm not Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

But I'm ok. The sun'll come out tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar.

keep up the good work.

Have you thought of some type of exercise? It may be tough with the asthma but may pay off in the future.

Since you are on steroids tour de france may be appropriate. laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1719387 - 07/12/12 03:33 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
LOL EdAudit. I am doing the treadmill and drinking my required water.

Return to Top
#1719397 - 07/12/12 03:55 PM Re: Yay me, I think. RR Joker
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Okie....my son was 6 years old and came home with a "contract" to have a parent sign...It was for Lent....Since we are Catholics...I thought...."Okay, I'll sign the thing". This was done about a week before Lent started. I thought...I'll slowly "cut back" and then when Lent does kick in, I will be ready.....During that week...I found myself counting my cigs to ensure that I would have enough to last the day.....I noticed how many I wasted....Then I realized how much that one thin pencil shape actually "CONTROLLED" my life. I worried about leaving home or the office without them.... One day during the week of 'preparation' I decided...This is is....I'm done...I kept a carton of cigarettes in the cabinet for 24 months....unopened......My son is 34...I haven't had one since.....Yes I gained weight.....but later lost it......

You take one thing at a time......You will gain...accept that....but you will be able to tackle that problem once you have conquered this one.

Best of luck to you.....I'm betting that you will do fine...With the money you'll save from not buying cigerattes, you can buy new clothes for the weight gained....Then lose the weight....You finally get to the weight you would like to be then age sets in and you gain again....(The weight thing is a harder roller coaster than the cig thing.....)

Keep up that fantastic attitude.....You will be the winner.....

Return to Top
#1721583 - 07/19/12 05:15 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Three week mark today. My peeps here say that my attitude is very good. (I checked with them before posting this.) grin

Return to Top
#1721739 - 07/20/12 12:28 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Okie, are you sure they aren't just saying that in fear? smile

Keep it up! Soon the weeks will just be flipping by and you'll lose track of how long it's been.

Return to Top
#1721776 - 07/20/12 01:14 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Congrats, Okie. My hubby is at nearly 8 weeks now, and when I asked him how long it had been he had to stop and count. grin

Return to Top
#1721788 - 07/20/12 01:28 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Way to go Okie!! You are doing so great! smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1721791 - 07/20/12 01:34 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Thanks.

LOL NotPerfect - You don't know my peeps. I've got me a whole department of outspoken and brutally honest ladies here.

Congrats to your hubby Becca. 2 months is a huge milestone!

Return to Top
#1721917 - 07/20/12 05:05 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
cbu3 Offline
Gold Star
CA
Yea Okie! It's a great accomplishment! Keep on keepin' on!

Return to Top
#1721921 - 07/20/12 05:09 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Any advice on how to quit? I don't smoke (at least, not often), but i'm a 30 year dipper and cold turkey just doesn't seem very possible. But the stuff is outrageously priced anymore (at today's prices i spend about $1700/yr. on the stuff...multiply that by 30 and what....$51,000....that was painful to type) and i know the health benefits would be good too.

Return to Top
#1721926 - 07/20/12 05:15 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Do you mean like a social smoker? I would ask: Is there something that triggers it? Drinking? Going out with certain friends who smoke? Removing those stimuli might help. OR, at least, being aware of what triggers it and then finding other ways to keep yourself busy so you don't smoke! laugh

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1721928 - 07/20/12 05:17 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I shoulda been more clear: smoking isn't my problem....about the only time i smoke anymore is when i drink (very rarely) or play poker with the guys (which also involves drinking and is also very rarely anymore). Dipping is my problem.

Return to Top
#1721935 - 07/20/12 05:25 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
My husband has tried several things over the years, including Chantix once, but what worked the longest in the past and helped him quit this time were the stepped-series patches. You use the chart on the back to figure out what "step" to start with and then work your way down through the levels from there according to their schedule.

He also chews gum like a fiend.

Return to Top
#1721949 - 07/20/12 05:35 PM Re: Yay me, I think. HRH Okie Banker
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I've been curious about that kinda stuff and wondered if it worked just as well for dippers as smokers. I've done both and dipping (at least for me) has been way more addictive.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett