Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1692312 - 04/25/12 01:25 PM UDAAP Policy
HubbaBubba Offline
Gold Star
Does anyone have a UDAAP policy that they are willing to share?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1692318 - 04/25/12 01:31 PM Re: UDAAP Policy HubbaBubba
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That a pretty broad subject........ How you would write a policy to cover every possibility would be impossible.

How about:

It is the policy of this bank not to engage in any activity that could be perceived as being unfair or deceptive.

Other than that - good luck......

Return to Top
#1692328 - 04/25/12 01:43 PM Re: UDAAP Policy HubbaBubba
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: HubbaBubba
Does anyone have a UDAAP policy that they are willing to share?

What you might want, besides a policy statement, is a procedure that lays out what steps the bank takes to avoid/prevent UDAAP isses...ad reviews before publication, new product approval process, etc.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1692360 - 04/25/12 02:41 PM Re: UDAAP Policy HubbaBubba
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I would not be comfortable making a blanket promise not to do anything that some third party using their own yardstick could call unfair, abusive, or deceptive. What I might be willing to do is establish a tangible complaint process that I would commit to continuously reviewing for practices that might be so labeled.

Return to Top
#1692361 - 04/25/12 02:43 PM Re: UDAAP Policy HubbaBubba
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Yes, complaint monitoring for trends and specific cases is a major part of a UDAAP management "process".
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1692373 - 04/25/12 02:58 PM Re: UDAAP Policy Kathleen O. Blanchard
HubbaBubba Offline
Gold Star
Thanks for your responses...I intend to format the policy based off of the regulator's exam procedures, but did not want to re-invent the wheel if someone already had that all laid out in policy format.

Anyone??

Return to Top
#1692383 - 04/25/12 03:07 PM Re: UDAAP Policy HubbaBubba
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
You're making a serious mistake to be specific. One thing you can, and should, do is tie this policy to your ethics policy. In fact, you might want to consider expanding your ethics policy instead of creating a new trap that will certainly catch you by surprise at some point in the future. No one (I hope) plans to do things that are unfair, deceptive, or otherwise injurious to their customers, but as Ken correctly observes, "fairness" is subjective.

Return to Top
#1694862 - 05/02/12 06:06 PM Re: UDAAP Policy HubbaBubba
St Louis Jeff Offline
100 Club
Here's news that shouldn't come as a shock: The UDAAP rules are intentionally vague, so the Feds can interpret any regulation any way they want and rule by fiat depending on which way the political wind blows. We as bankers get so conditioned to jumping through hoops to comply with vaue "guidances" and "commentaries" government agencies who are run by 23-year old Harvard MBA's who have no idea how the real world works, I sometimes worry that we never stop to as "unfair or deceptive to whom??" Writing a policy for UDAAP is impossible. The best you can do, which is our philosophy, is to do right by your shareholders and customers and obey the law at the same time. Nothing else matters.

Return to Top
#1697812 - 05/09/12 08:17 PM Re: UDAAP Policy HubbaBubba
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
A good place to start would probably be the exam procedures the CFPB put out. They have guidance as well.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1719668 - 07/12/12 09:29 PM Re: UDAAP Policy manimal
Sunshine_101 Offline
100 Club
Sunshine_101
Is a policy required by any law or regulation? If it is required could you please offer a cite? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Return to Top
#1719705 - 07/13/12 10:31 AM Re: UDAAP Policy HubbaBubba
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
It is not required, but in light of the super pro-consumer environment, it may be prudent. smile

Return to Top
#1788998 - 02/25/13 09:13 PM Re: UDAAP Policy Retired DQ
ccman Offline
Platinum Poster
Easier said than done. The entire "fair lending" mantra rests on subjective framework. See HUD's latest on "dissparent effect". DFA and UDAAP are very volitile mixtures.

Return to Top