Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#172182 - 03/22/04 09:53 PM Dreadful Dentist
captain morgan Offline
100 Club
captain morgan
Land of "uffda"
Can there be anything more dreadful then going to the dentist to have your wisdom teeth pulled?? Where they use power tools on your teeth?? (high speed drill and a glorified pliers). I have a phobia about dentists. Knock me out 2 days prior and wake me 7 day later...
Can you tell I have appointment next week......

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#172183 - 03/22/04 09:59 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 14 years old. What a terrible experience it was! They cut my gums open to get my teeth out, because they hadn't even broke through yet. Then the dentist told me that the chances of getting an infection were something like 1 in 1000- and I got an infection. I could not open my mouth for about 2 weeks. It was the worst experience of my life. I had novacaine and laughing gas. The dentist was literally yanking my head off of the chair to get my one tooth out.

Needless to say, I survived and I am sure you will do just fine.

Return to Top
#172184 - 03/22/04 10:03 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guess I am lucky - apparently, a small % of people do not get wisdom teeth, or only 1 - I only have one, and it grew in straight and did not need pulling.

Does this mean I lack wisdom?

Return to Top
#172185 - 03/22/04 10:19 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I had all 4 teeth pulled at once when I was 21, and had no problems. I was put asleep, but woke up half way through. Then they put me under even further. The next thing I remember, my dad had to carry me to the car. Then in the car, I had no idea what was going on - I was dreaming and I was awake and I could not tell the difference.

I stopped bleeding by that afternoon (had it done on a Friday morning). By Sunday I stopped taking the pain medicine, by Wednesday I was eating french fries, and by the following Friday I was eating normal food. No problems for me. Good luck!!

Return to Top
#172186 - 03/22/04 10:20 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
4 Impacted Wisdom Teeth Removed - No Swelling!
A GOOD dental surgeon makes a big difference. No one could tell that I had the surgery the next day!

Return to Top
#172187 - 03/22/04 10:22 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Jayda's Mom Offline
100 Club
North
I too have a phobia of dentist. I almost break down in tears just making the appointments. I had my wisdom teeth out a couple of years ago and I actually woke up in the middle. Needless to say the experience has compounded my fears. It was a terrible experience, not painful, just uncomfortable.

Return to Top
#172188 - 03/22/04 10:25 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
I was 21 at the time and wanted to drive home. My mother laughed because I was still a little "looped".

I get my shoulder scoped and "decompressed" Thurday. I don't think I will be driving home from that one either.

Return to Top
#172189 - 03/22/04 10:30 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Been there, done that. For the first two I was knocked out and had a bad time and was sick afterwards. For the second two, I had a valium and gas and listened to music and thought the noice the drill was making was really funny. I didn't have nearly as much trama as I did the first time.

Return to Top
#172190 - 03/22/04 10:35 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Quote:

4 Impacted Wisdom Teeth Removed - No Swelling!
A GOOD dental surgeon makes a big difference. No one could tell that I had the surgery the next day!

Pretty much the same story here...except I had 3 as 1 was pulled in the dentist's office since it was already thru. I would opt for a surgeon prior to having it done in the dentist office. I hate the dentist. I know those are strong words, but I swear I start having anxiety attacks before I get there.

Good luck to you!

Return to Top
#172191 - 03/22/04 10:41 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Peepers Offline
10K Club
The shots in the gums were the worst part for me. I had local anesthesia. I had each wisdom tooth pulled on separate days. I have an excellent dentist so I only had to use the pain pills after one tooth, that was the last one (upper tooth). It had a large curve in the root. It was hard to pull, felt like it was attached to my nostril when he started pulling

Return to Top
#172192 - 03/22/04 10:45 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
TTC Queen Offline
Diamond Poster
Oklahoma
My brother was an oral surgeon. He was supposed to extract my wisdom teeth, however, when he walked into the operating room and saw his little sister (I was 22.) laying on the table, he almost passed out. (so I was told.) My uncle had to remove the teeth and it almost killed him. I considered it fair payback for all the times I was not allowed to show that I did not want to go to the dentist or that my mouth hurt after a dental visit!!! Yuk! Yuk!

Return to Top
#172193 - 03/22/04 10:49 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
captain morgan Offline
100 Club
captain morgan
Land of "uffda"
I'd rather hit my finger with a hammer than have a drill in my mouth. One of mine is curved too. Thank God I have some extra Vicodin.

Return to Top
#172194 - 03/22/04 10:50 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Speaking of dentists - they always used to say that dentists have the highest suicide rate... well, not only did my childhood dentist commit suicide, but he apparently had been treated by another doctor in the building for poison oak, and claimed that for 2 years, the medicine caused him to have horrible side effects including sleeplessness - He ended up going to that doctor's office, shooting him in the chest (the doctor survived) and then my dentist went back to his office and shot himself and died. It's a wonder I ever went back to a dentist, huh???

Return to Top
#172195 - 03/22/04 10:52 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
I had all four done at once and didn't have any major problems. Didn't need any pain pills after the first day and was out partying the next night (oh to be young again )

Return to Top
#172196 - 03/22/04 10:56 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Speaking of dentists - they always used to say that dentists have the highest suicide rate... well, not only did my childhood dentist commit suicide, but he apparently had been treated by another doctor in the building for poison oak, and claimed that for 2 years, the medicine caused him to have horrible side effects including sleeplessness - He ended up going to that doctor's office, shooting him in the chest (the doctor survived) and then my dentist went back to his office and shot himself and died. It's a wonder I ever went back to a dentist, huh???

So your former dentist is now filling his last cavity, eh?

Return to Top
#172197 - 03/22/04 10:56 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

The shots in the gums were the worst part for me.

Now that they numb your gum this isn't so bad. But I recall as a kid a dentist telling me it was just facial work and if I didn't want the shot, that was fine. Well then, no shot for me.

There was the whir of the drill, the smell of the burning tooth, my butt cheeks doing a Celtic dance all over the chair and me wanting that shot!

My dentist and hygienist start at 7 AM. Looking inside someone else's mouth at that hour is a worse job than compliance.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#172198 - 03/22/04 10:58 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Anonymous
Unregistered

my butt cheeks doing a Celtic dance all over the chair and me wanting that shot!

Too much info Andy!

Return to Top
#172199 - 03/22/04 11:00 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
captain morgan Offline
100 Club
captain morgan
Land of "uffda"
Speaking of numb....they tell ya to spit and it dibbles down you chin....

Return to Top
#172200 - 03/22/04 11:04 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Mine sticks the vacuum hose in your mouth and tells you to close. I think they like seeing your cheeks (not the aforementioned cheeks) get sucked inside out.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#172201 - 03/22/04 11:04 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's really not that bad. I had it done without being put under and I didn't get gas either. The worst part was the shots. Even that isn't too bad. If I were you, I would be more concerned about after the fact. Those holes in your gums are so gross. Watch out so food doesn't get stuck!!

Return to Top
#172202 - 03/22/04 11:19 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
My dentist was great when I got my wisdom teeth out. He said, "do you have dental insurance." I said, "no, but the company I work for provides a $XXX medical account to do whatever I want with medically. If I don't spend it, they pay it to me less income taxes." He responded, "great, go have an oral surgeon do this and you won't have to sit there awake while a tug and pull etc...." Best advice from a dentist since "be sure to brush and floss."

Return to Top
#172203 - 03/22/04 11:31 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

Observe the evolution from sanity to madness.

Davie...don't leave yourself open like this in the chat forum silly.

(And a guy with as big a head as you must have some wisdom in there somewhere) heh heh

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#172204 - 03/23/04 05:43 AM Re: Dreadful Dentist
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Andy I swear you could do stand-up comedy. I'm snorting my way through your posts in this thread. LOL

Return to Top
#172205 - 03/23/04 01:07 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My experience wasn't very pleasant. I only had 3 - they knocked me out and surgically removed them. One was below my jaw bone and they had to scrape off some of the bone and break the tooth to get it out. I was on pain meds for about 4 days - 2 days longer than when I had my c-section.

Now the dentist tells my 16 year old son (he has 2 wisdome teeth) should have his out this summer. I'm not sure what to do since he's not having any problems. I'll talk to the dentist next week when I get my permanent crown put on.

Yuck!

Andy - you're a laugh a minute.

Return to Top
#172206 - 03/23/04 01:12 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Guess I am lucky - apparently, a small % of people do not get wisdom teeth, or only 1 - I only have one, and it grew in straight and did not need pulling.

Does this mean I lack wisdom?

Same here Dave, only one but had it pulled...

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2