Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#172207 - 03/23/04 01:23 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
My wisdom teeth had to come out when I was 17. My regular dentist tried to remove the first one. It was an ordeal. He had to take it out layer by layer and we were both crying! I have very strong teeth! He refused to remove any others and sent me to an oral surgeon. I was unconscious throughout the entire procedure and had relatively little pain. The best part was the little curved syringe-type thingy he gave me to keep the area clean with. It was wonderful for squirting people with water in choir!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#172208 - 03/23/04 01:26 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
I had mine out in college. I remember waking up at about 5am one morning with some terrible pain in my mouth. I knew what it was as soon as I woke up, but I went to a local dentist just to be sure. Since the end of the semester (my first in college) was two weeks away, I just toughed it out. That did have some benefit, the surgeon didn't have to cut that much. Actually, I think he just pulled them. I don't remember. The only thing I do remember is that, while I was getting prepped for the surgery, I noticed that the assistant was, well, rather pleasing to look at. Once she (and my mother) woke me up, I made a point of telling my mother "That woman in the navy green sweater is hot!" (I was still loopy). Needless to say, when I went in for my post op checkup, she was very nice to me!

Return to Top
#172209 - 03/23/04 02:01 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
For me, it was four impacted - all pulled at the same visit. I opted for novocaine & happy gas, and not the full "take a nap" stuff. I remember when he started, I didn't particularly care whether he pulled out all my teeth or not. (The gas really works!)

The only part that really sticks with me is the memory of that sound - cracking, breaking, grinding bones. At one point, I recalled the waiver I had to sign, and I thought "is that my jaw breaking?"

Recovery was fine. I had mine done first thing in the morning on a Friday, and he told me the novocaine would wear off around 1:00, and I could start on the pain pills after that. It actually wore off at 12:18, and by 12:30 I would've happily chopped my own head off. No problems after that, though, and I went back to work on Monday.

In contrast, my root canal from a couple of years ago was a piece of cake. The worst part of that was the infection prior to visiting the dentist (hence, the root canal).

Return to Top
#172210 - 03/23/04 02:19 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
The BEST time to get your first root canal is when you have an infected tooth!! I was always afraid that someday I would have to have one and then my tooth got infected and I was sooooo happy to have the root canal!! No more fear of that!

Return to Top
#172211 - 03/23/04 02:21 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Observe the evolution from sanity to madness.

Davie...don't leave yourself open like this in the chat forum silly.

(And a guy with as big a head as you must have some wisdom in there somewhere) heh heh

Nope - my head is shrinking - turns out that I just had too much cholesterol in there!

Return to Top
#172212 - 03/23/04 03:40 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
carrieb Offline
100 Club
Minneapolis
You guys are making me nervous. I need all four of mine pulled. Luckily they all came in straight.

I shouldn't complain. I had a fear of the dentist but I finally went back this month after a nine year break. I had been obsessing over teeth for the last three years. I was so afraid of what they would tell me that it kept me from going!!! I thought for sure I would be getting dentures.

Turned out: Healthy gums, two small cavaties, and no root canals!!!! I'll never do that again!!!

Back to the wisdom teeth thing, I'm scared because I had four teeth pulled when I got braces and it was not fun. My whole face was numb for a day (all I could feel was my forehead) and I drooled all over myself because I couldn't tell that my mouth was open!

Return to Top
#172213 - 03/23/04 03:53 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
If they're in straight - why do they have to be pulled?

Return to Top
#172214 - 03/23/04 04:44 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I've been to the oral surgeon many times when I was younger. They had to pull 21 teeth over the course of a few years. My dad used to clean the teeth and put them in liquid fiberglass and when it hardened we would have a paper weight of teeth. I need to get my wisdom teeth out within the next year as well. I'm so happy I can make paper weights again.

Why do you need paper weights if your office is not outside?

Return to Top
#172215 - 03/23/04 05:58 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
carrieb Offline
100 Club
Minneapolis
I have a small mouth and the Dentist couldn't even see my gums around my wisdom teeth. She said that very often wisdom teeth go hand-in-hand with gum problems so it is best to pull them.

Return to Top
#172216 - 03/23/04 06:49 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
I too am afraid of the dentist... but I tough it out because of the alternatives.

I had my wisdom teeth out 2 at a time and opted to remain awake. Being put to sleep scared me more than anything. So... to start my ordeal... I was a nervous wreck waiting in the reception area with my mom. The nurse gave me a bunch of paperwork to fill out. I was supposed to be the first appointment after lunch however there was another girl in the waiting area. So... I was racing through the paperwork so they would take me first.

They take me into the surgery area and tell me to wait. Later... the nurse and doctor come in with full body protection.. I'm talking head to toe coverage including a breathing apparatus on to complete the package. They come in looking at me like I am an alien creature. The nurse comes over and asks me... "Oh dear... when did you become exposed to AIDs?" I had raced through the paperwork obviously not reading the questions and had said that I had AIDs.

So... once they were comfortable that I was not infected... the procedure continued.

What I thought was funny, almost out of a cartoon, was that the surgeon got up on my chair putting one foot on either side of me and used his pliers to yank out my teeth... one at a time. Only after wiggling from side to side using his whole body as leverage. It was like something Fred Flintstone would have done to Barney... only they numbed my mouth first.

Pay attention when they tell you do not suck on a straw, etc. Dry socket is bad news.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
#172217 - 03/23/04 06:53 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

For me, it was four impacted - all pulled at the same visit. I opted for novocaine & happy gas, and not the full "take a nap" stuff. I remember when he started, I didn't particularly care whether he pulled out all my teeth or not. (The gas really works!)

Hey, maybe this is what we need for our jobs. A couple shots of this a day (or hour) could make not care that they still send us post office boxes as address or that they still don't know the definition of a community development loan. We could all be happy, happy, happy.

Return to Top
#172218 - 03/23/04 07:07 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
I did the straw thing...and got the dry sockets!! Having my wisdom teeth out was the absolute worst two weeks of my life. I was knocked out & felt great when I woke up. So great my dad got me a shake from McDonald's that I drank through a straw. I ended up with dry sockets, two infections & an allergic reaction to the pain medication that almost landed me back in the hospital due to dehydration! To top it off, it was the first week of my first job as a teller & I had to call in sick!!

Return to Top
#172219 - 03/23/04 07:10 PM Re: Dreadful Dentist
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Good point on the straw. I had the same thing happen. STAY AWAY FROM STRAWS. The pain from the dry socket is worse than the pulling.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2