Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thread Options
#1721354 - 07/18/12 08:49 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? Pale Rider
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
"The Chevy Cruze is non hybrid and still gets over 40mpg.
You can get a Volt. We have a granola guy here that has one and loves the darn thing! He gets gas about once every 6 or 8 weeks."

Volt is $41,000 with a 500 lb battery that may catch fire, while the Cruze is essentially the same car at $17,000.

Yeah, kind amy point on hybrids and the like. You can burn a lot of gas for the cost of the technology.

We are getting CNG fill stations at many of our standard gas stations now. And there is government programs to assist with engine conversion..... 4x4 on CNG? Maaaybe! grin

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1721358 - 07/18/12 08:53 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Sox, my CR-V is 4 years old, still averaging 29 combined...will be buying another one

Return to Top
#1721364 - 07/18/12 09:03 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
rustygrizwold Offline
New Poster
Midwest
With your CR-V's are they AWD or FWD getting the 29? I like the CR-V's too, but not the wife. Maybe I can talk her into a Subie. I was looking at the Legacy after what Manimal said and they are sharp too. Not a bad price either. I wonder what their warranty is like?
Last edited by rustygrizwold; 07/18/12 09:04 PM.
Return to Top
#1721372 - 07/18/12 09:11 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? Bankbb1, PITA
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
BMW, expensive and reliable. AWD available...at a price.

shocked I have to disagree with you on the reliable part...

The Subaru outback, as others have said, is a great car. I have never owned one but several friends have them and swear by them. They really have a cult like following. It is kinda strange.

Return to Top
#1721373 - 07/18/12 09:12 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
Originally Posted By: rustygrizwold
With your CR-V's are they AWD or FWD getting the 29? I like the CR-V's too, but not the wife. Maybe I can talk her into a Subie. I was looking at the Legacy after what Manimal said and they are sharp too. Not a bad price either. I wonder what their warranty is like?

The new CR-Vs are very sharp looking vehicles.

Return to Top
#1721375 - 07/18/12 09:16 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I have a CR-V, but most of my driving is within a few miles of home. Work is about 1.3 miles from my house. So, I get about 18-19 mpg. 28 mpg is about right, if it's mostly highway. It's a 2007, and has not had a single problem. My daughter has a 2002 CR-V and it's also been very dependable.

But I recommend looking at the Hyundai Sonata. My wife has driven one for the last year. The mileage is incredible. Averages over 30 for a mix of highway and city. It get 37 if the driving is all highway. If that's too big, go with the Elantra.

Return to Top
#1721378 - 07/18/12 09:19 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? Need Coffee
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: Tiger Esquire
BMW, expensive and reliable. AWD available...at a price.

shocked I have to disagree with you on the reliable part...

The Subaru outback, as others have said, is a great car. I have never owned one but several friends have them and swear by them. They really have a cult like following. It is kinda strange.

I've had 3 Beemers and had great luck with them. But for the money, I will take the Subaru WRX STI (performance matters to me). It is a great car, with outstanding performance that will drive anywhere! Fast too! grin

Return to Top
#1721390 - 07/18/12 09:45 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I know of several lady friends who have Subarus and love them.

smile

Return to Top
#1721404 - 07/18/12 11:20 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
The Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima (sister companies) get very good ratings from Consumer Reports, as do most of the cars mentioned here (Altima, Outback, CR-V, Accord, Camry). As someone mentioned earlier, Hyundai and Kia have been making good, reliable cars.

The Fusion has also gotten good marks over the last 2 or 3 years.

Return to Top
#1721415 - 07/19/12 11:20 AM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro

I have the AWD. I have also made an effort to not speed as much. I am averaging close to 30-31 during the week which is all highway for me-the local weekend driving brings it down a bit.

I considered an Outback but ended up with the CRV..I liked the look a bit better-otherwise they were very similar from my test drives and research. Their warranty is 3/36. My wife had an Impreza for 14 yrs and has had her current Outback for 4 years.

Happy-that is good to know.
Last edited by Sox reek in '12; 07/19/12 11:22 AM.

Return to Top
#1721418 - 07/19/12 11:59 AM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? Bankbb1, PITA
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Triple B1, I have an 05 Sierra 4x4 and I'm lucky to get 18-19 with it. Don't get me started on our Land Cruiser...15ish.
Manimal, I like the Subarus too, but I can't get my wife sold on one.

I have a 1/2 ton chevy 4x4. 400 horspower (a few mods) 15 in town, 20 on the hwy.
Its not great, but I didn't buy it for its spiffy mpg numbers. smile

1 ton Ford 4x4 crew cab long box here. Glad when I get 12-13 on average. We took a trip to the Black Hills in SD in June towing our 26 foot camping trailer and I got about 6-7 mpg. It hurt at the pump eek

Return to Top
#1721420 - 07/19/12 12:02 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
The VW Jetta with a diesel engine is another good option. Great gas mileage (mid-upper 40s) and the engines last forever.

Return to Top
#1721426 - 07/19/12 12:16 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? HappyGilmore
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
Happy, The new plant here in Chattanooga is making the diesel Passat. So go buy one and support the Noog.

I actaully like the look of the Jetta better and they are a lot bigger than they used to be; just slightly smaller than the Passat. Wife says the Jetta diesel is her next car.

I have also heard great things about the Sonata, but all from brand new owners.

Return to Top
#1721431 - 07/19/12 12:35 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
We just bought our third Toyota Camry and we love them. We got 35mpg on the one we traded. This new one is getting 31. We have never had any repairs and they ride beautifully. The Entune app is great also.

Return to Top
#1721445 - 07/19/12 01:25 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? Purple Pride
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: Purple Pride
Triple B1, I have an 05 Sierra 4x4 and I'm lucky to get 18-19 with it. Don't get me started on our Land Cruiser...15ish.
Manimal, I like the Subarus too, but I can't get my wife sold on one.

I have a 1/2 ton chevy 4x4. 400 horspower (a few mods) 15 in town, 20 on the hwy.
Its not great, but I didn't buy it for its spiffy mpg numbers. smile

1 ton Ford 4x4 crew cab long box here. Glad when I get 12-13 on average. We took a trip to the Black Hills in SD in June towing our 26 foot camping trailer and I got about 6-7 mpg. It hurt at the pump eek

I got stuck in a blizzard last winter in an F250. They closed the road in WY and we were there for about 8 hours. I was very happy to be in a diesel then! 8 hours of idle with occaisional revs to keep the heater warm and the fuel gage barely moved at all! Diesels will idle dang near forever! smile

Return to Top
#1721492 - 07/19/12 02:35 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Had a diesel jetta...averaged 52 MPG...bought it when diesel was $1.42 a gallon, diesel was $3.75 when i sold it...huge difference.

My CR-V is 2wd...

back seat room on Jetta is still too small if you are taller than 5'2" and the driver or passenger are sitting with the seat pushed back more than 1/2 way

Return to Top
#1721503 - 07/19/12 02:56 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The VW CC is pretty roomy. Nice looking with a great interior. I dont know anybody with experience on them yet.

Return to Top
#1721505 - 07/19/12 02:57 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Christine81 Offline
Have a 2010 Camry SE 4 cyl and LOVE it. I had a 2009 LE, which I totaled while playing sober cab for my son, when some other kid didn't bother to call his mom, drunk in her caddilac, and ran a stop sign in front of me. Hit them at 55 mph and only had bruises from the air bags and seatbelt. Actually other than the airbags deploying, there was no damage to the inside of the car. Unfortunately it took the front of the car off to the front wheels. Didn't even think about purchasing something else, went right to the Toyota dealership and replaced it, with a few upgrades. Love the upgrades.

Return to Top
#1721506 - 07/19/12 02:58 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I have a ton of room in my CRV-being tall and needing to put the driver seat all the way back, there was never any room for someone to sit behind me in prior cars-the CRV gives decent back seat room.

Return to Top
#1721513 - 07/19/12 03:07 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
how about a Bentley Continental Flying Spur?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1721516 - 07/19/12 03:10 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
rustygrizwold Offline
New Poster
Midwest
I spoke to soon on my 04 Honda Civic. 110k miles and blew the head gasket yesterday. I knew it was time to replace the timing belt/water pump, but geesh...can't wait to get this bill. An aluminum head on cast iron block not a good combo. Oh well, hopefully will be good to go another 100k.

Return to Top
#1721561 - 07/19/12 04:26 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? TB 12
Comply 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Comply 101
Quote:
ill never again own an American labeled car, just don't like them, and i still find the quality to be less...

I can say the exact same thing about a Subaru I once owned (actually my wife had it before we were married). It was a piece of junk.

I've had really good luck with Ford, just saying....

Return to Top
#1721563 - 07/19/12 04:29 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I spoke to soon on my 04 Honda Civic. 110k miles and blew the head gasket yesterday. I knew it was time to replace the timing belt/water pump, but geesh...can't wait to get this bill. An aluminum head on cast iron block not a good combo. Oh well, hopefully will be good to go another 100k.

since they are tearing down the engine, why not do the timing belt/water pump replacement too?

Return to Top
#1721570 - 07/19/12 04:38 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
rustygrizwold Offline
New Poster
Midwest
I am Pale. That's why after this I was hoping to get another 100k. The last civic I had the timing belt/water pump done on was $500, but if my head needs planed and valves ground I don't know if I want to see the bill. I at least trust my mechanic. Speaking of Subaru, my wife's co-worker had the head gasket go out on their Outback and she said it was close to $2k (not sure what year and miles). I realize they have the horizontal engine, but OUCH!

Return to Top
#1721576 - 07/19/12 05:00 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Hope no Anti Freeze got on that aluminum head eek Had this happen with my 92 Olds Cutlass Supreme, had to get a new motor, but it was an aluminum block.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9