Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1499193 - 01/24/11 05:10 PM survey - how big is your audit dept
scottb Offline
We are a $140 million bank. About $67 million in loans. Our auditor does our loan review in house along with the other various internal audits (average 2-3 per month). BSA, IRR, and IT audits are outsourced. Does this seem like too much for one person? How many audit folks make up similiar sized banks?

Return to Top
Audit
#1499197 - 01/24/11 05:13 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept scottb
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm with a $240 million bank and I'm the sole internal auditor. I'm also the compliance officer, review appraisals, perform branch cash counts, monitor all loans for compliance, set up on-line classes, and I'm secretary to the Audit Committee. That being said, we do have a full-time Loan Review Officer. We also outsource or BSA, IT and Compliance Audits.

Return to Top
#1500424 - 01/26/11 04:09 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept Skittles
Southern gal Offline
Platinum Poster
TN
We're at 92 million, I'm both internal auditor & compliance officer. I do all audits except IRR, which is outsourced. My audit/compliance schedule keeps me busy all year long.
I have one part-time person that helps out, when she's not doing loan review & helping with payroll.

Return to Top
#1500431 - 01/26/11 04:12 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept Southern gal
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
This, like all such blind surveys, without a direct comparison of the specific risk profiles of each institution it is an excercise in futility.

Return to Top
#1500534 - 01/26/11 05:33 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept rlcarey
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
350M. VP of Internal Audit and her assistant. Loan review is outsourced, trust audit is outsourced, IT audit is outsourced. She would manage better with another staff person.

I previously (10+years) worked for a 500M bank, we had VP of IA, Assistant, Staff Auditor and an clerical audit function as well. They now have a staff of 5 because the IA is now the Risk Officer.

Return to Top
#1500733 - 01/26/11 08:09 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept Skittles
kendrar Offline
Gold Star
We are a $186 million bank and I am the sole internal auditor. We have an external audit firm that comes in and completes a financial statement audit each year. We also have IT audits completed. We have firms contracted to do loan review throughout the year. I complete all internal audits and quarterly count all cash the bank has. We do have a compliance officer. We also periodically have an external firm do a BSA audit, this was recommended by the examiners.

Return to Top
#1500880 - 01/26/11 09:50 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept kendrar
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Originally Posted By: kendrar
We are a $186 million bank and I am the sole internal auditor. We have an external audit firm that comes in and completes a financial statement audit each year. We also have IT audits completed. We have firms contracted to do loan review throughout the year. I complete all internal audits and quarterly count all cash the bank has. We do have a compliance officer. We also periodically have an external firm do a BSA audit, this was recommended by the examiners.

Not to start another topic, but is there a reason you are doing quarterly cash counts? Our IA doesn't do cash counts at all unless they are auditing a branch, and even then they only do a sample of tellers. The monthly cash counts are done by a supervisor in the branches. Just seems like a lot for an internal auditor to be doing. I wouldn't think branch cash to be a high risk item (unless of course you have had issues.) Just my opinion.

Return to Top
#1500972 - 01/27/11 12:21 AM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept J2C
kendrar Offline
Gold Star
The Chairman of the Board of Directors (also a majority shareholder) requires that the internal auditor audit all cash the bank has on a quarterly basis. We haven't had any issues since my employment, however, just a few weeks ago a competitor in one of our towns did experience some issues and there have been issues in the past. It is just part of my duties.

Return to Top
#1500986 - 01/27/11 01:26 AM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept kendrar
DerrickAuditor Offline
USA
$2 billion assets - audit department of 4. We audit all compliance areas, IT, Trust (another $1.5 billion assets under management), brokerage, finance/accounting, operations, and all SOX testing. We do not outsource except to fill a temporary need (FMLA, termination, etc.).

Compliance, information security, and loan review are separate departments with different lines of reporting because the FDIC and Fed Reserve made us split up a few years ago. We used to be separate departments but under one umbrella that reported to the audit committee.

Return to Top
#1503719 - 02/01/11 10:43 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept DerrickAuditor
SnowRed Offline
East Coast
$1.2 billion. 3 FTEs. Loan review, some IT and some compliance outsourced.

Return to Top
#1503948 - 02/02/11 05:30 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept SnowRed
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
While I agree with Randy, I'll add some firewood. $450MM and growing. Located in a HIDTA and HIFCA. Moderate number of high risk customers and products/services. However, none of the higher risk stuff (Private Banking, Foreign Corresspondents, etc.).

I run the BSA/AML and CRA Department. I report to the Compliance Officer who handles deposit, Reg. O and the remaining items. That said we rely on a consultant for the majority of our lending compliance (Reg. Z, RESPA, etc.).

Return to Top
#1504916 - 02/03/11 09:24 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept ACBbank
Goal Keeper Offline
We are at $600M. I'm the Compliance Officer, CRA Officer and the Internal Auditor. My staff of 4 includes loan review, QC review, HMDA reporting and Teller auditing. We outsource IT and ACH audits yearly. We do not have time to look at everything so we use the risk-based approach.

Return to Top
#1723864 - 07/26/12 07:45 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept scottb
.M. Offline
New Poster
Just under $250M. I am one of two assistants to our Compliance Officer. We do not outsource any audits and also use a risk-based approach. We report quarterly to the Audit Committee that's made up of our department and our Board Members and add/adjust areas of audit as needed/requested.

Return to Top
#1723942 - 07/26/12 09:43 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept scottb
Midnight Offline
Midnight
Upper Mid West
350 Million in assets - 1 auditor performing all audits. Loan review is done by someonelse.

Return to Top
#1723948 - 07/26/12 09:59 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept scottb
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
We really aren't going to revive this 18 month old thread that is a repeat of at least a dozen more like it - are we?????

Return to Top
#1724013 - 07/27/12 11:59 AM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept rlcarey
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
We really aren't going to revive this 18 month old thread that is a repeat of at least a dozen more like it - are we?????

Looks like we are. Comparing apples to oranges to bananas.

Return to Top
#1724027 - 07/27/12 12:41 PM Re: survey - how big is your audit dept scottb
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
smile at Backstreets.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z