Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1724150 - 07/27/12 02:38 PM Is this a Building?
Dallas Fan Offline
100 Club
RIC
We have a borrower who has a boat storage facility that is a pre-engineeered metal structure that relies primarily on it's rigid frames for overall stability. However, there are walls of lightweight gauge metal attached to the frames and they go to about 30 inches from the ground. We force placed flood insurance as the borrower's let policy lapse arguing that this does not meet the definition of a "building" as the walls are not rigid. He even had his engineer send a letter stating that. They are metal. albeit thin, so we think its a building. Question: who makes the final determination on whether this is a building? Who can we call to get the final word? We want to get this straightened out as the borrower is making a huge deal out of this.

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#1724155 - 07/27/12 02:41 PM Re: Is this a Building? Dallas Fan
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I believe the requirement on ground to beginning of wall minimimum is 1 foot.

Metal does not make them not rigid...the height, however, does.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1724185 - 07/27/12 03:16 PM Re: Is this a Building? Dallas Fan
Dallas Fan Offline
100 Club
RIC
What are you basing your statement on regarding the minimum of 1 foot/ height issue? Does FEMA address this somewhere in the definitions or elsewhere? Additionally, who makes the final call? FEMA?

Thanks
Last edited by Dallas Fan; 07/27/12 03:24 PM.
Return to Top
#1724407 - 07/27/12 06:07 PM Re: Is this a Building? Dallas Fan
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I think it's actually in the FEMA Insurance Manual. Yes, FEMA would rule on that like all things flood insurance.

Return to Top
#1724418 - 07/27/12 06:13 PM Re: Is this a Building? Dallas Fan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I'd like to see it, because I can't find it.

Return to Top
#1724425 - 07/27/12 06:16 PM Re: Is this a Building? Dallas Fan
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: I came up empty in every resource so I have gone to the source. I will post the reply once I receive it from lending compliance at dhs.

I hope it hasn't been confused with the definition and requirements for interior load-bearing walls...

The definition of 'rigid' makes sense that the walls would have to come down and be attached across the bottom of the wall and if it doesn't reach all the way to the bottom, it would allow flood waters to enter, so there is some sense there, but I can't honestly remember where I got that info from, it's been too long.

Anyhoo...regardless of the outcome, I'll post whatever response I get.
Last edited by RR Joker; 07/27/12 08:09 PM.

Return to Top
#1724681 - 07/30/12 12:57 PM Re: Is this a Building? Dallas Fan
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
http://www.fema.gov/national-flood-insurance-program/definitions

•Proper Openings - Enclosures (Applicable to Zones A, A1-A30, AE, AO, AH, AR, and AR Dual)--All enclosures below the lowest elevated floor must be designed to automatically equalize hydrostatic flood forces on exterior walls by allowing for the entry and exit of floodwaters. A minimum of two openings, with positioning on at least two walls, having a total net area of not less than 1 square inch for every square foot of enclosed area subject to flooding must be provided. The bottom of all openings must be no higher than 1 foot above grade.

Return to Top
#1725078 - 07/31/12 12:30 AM Re: Is this a Building? Dallas Fan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yeah, I've read those requirement before, but that covers requirements for hydrostatic or break-away walls as we call them down here. Those requirements have nothing to do with the determination of whether a wall is rigid or not.

Return to Top
#1725171 - 07/31/12 01:49 PM Re: Is this a Building? Dallas Fan
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
What we see often times around here will be a shed with roofing tin for walls. If the walls only go partially down, they aren't rigid in the strict sense of 'stiff'...you can flop and bend the bottom of the sheets.

To be rigid, I would think the bottom of that metal would have to be secured in some way (and that's what I get the impression of from googling rigid and the fema hits that come up). That's been how I've looked at it through the years.

BTW, I haven't had a response back from the Lending Compliance person at FEMA yet...but I will post it when I get it. I truly need to know. As is likely the case with many of you...I deal with a lot of questionable 'out buildings'.
Last edited by RR Joker; 07/31/12 01:50 PM.

Return to Top
#1725622 - 07/31/12 09:00 PM Re: Is this a Building? RR Joker
WI Banker Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
I believe the requirement on ground to beginning of wall minimimum is 1 foot.

Metal does not make them not rigid...the height, however, does.

Is this what you were thinking of?

Flood Insurance Manual - GR5

3. Solid Perimeter Foundation Walls
Solid perimeter foundation walls are used as a
means of elevating the building in A Zones and must
contain proper openings to allow for the unimpeded
flow of floodwaters more than 1 foot deep.

Solid perimeter foundation walls are not an
acceptable means of elevating buildings in
V/VE Zones.

Return to Top
#1725711 - 08/01/12 12:39 PM Re: Is this a Building? Dallas Fan
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
No, in fact I've dealt with those in a condo parking garage once...that's openings to let water out/run through...same thing as Dan posted above.

It is possible, however, that someone misinterpreted that at some point in time and it stuck in my head ever since. I know what I remember came from here, but I found nothing searching for it.

Hopefully, FEMA will give an answer...I think it would be helpful!

Return to Top
#1728842 - 08/08/12 06:40 PM Re: Is this a Building? Dallas Fan
Dallas Fan Offline
100 Club
RIC
I called FEMA a couple of times and they never got back with me. Big surprise there. I advised the bank to have their borrower file for a LOMA and submit all the engineer's statements, photographs, etc. I assume they (FEMA) will have to answer that. They might say a LOMA is not the method to go about this. We'll see. At least it will get the borrower off the bank's back. I'm sticking by my original answer that it's a building for now.

Return to Top