Learn More - Click Here!

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thread Options
#1726626 - 08/02/12 05:40 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? Queen Mum
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
They work well except for going up steps into a house.
Or when you have to turn a table on its side to scoot it.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1743770 - 09/25/12 03:19 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
rustygrizwold Offline
New Poster
Midwest
Bump. Finally pulled the trigger this weekend on a new-to-us 2010 Audi A4 2.0T Quatro w/ the 6 speed manual. Lucky my wife drives this the majority of the time because I would end up walking after losing my license. I feel like a teenager when I actually get to drive it. Anyone out there been around these? From what I can find the main concern with these is the oil consumption from the turbo, but it doesn't appear to be a full blown epedemic. We bought it certified w/ up to 100k factory warranty so hopefully we can stay out of the shop. It had a super clean carfax and Autocheck though.

Return to Top
#1744113 - 09/25/12 10:04 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Should have bought her the R8. Tee Hee!

Return to Top
#1744235 - 09/26/12 02:04 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
rustygrizwold Offline
New Poster
Midwest
Believe me QM, my sons and I were salivating over the R8, but $115k was a little out of the budget and that was on sale.

Return to Top
#1744237 - 09/26/12 02:07 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
She would have loved you Fifty Shades of Forever!

Return to Top
#1744269 - 09/26/12 02:48 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
rustygrizwold Offline
New Poster
Midwest
I aim to please...but, got to draw the line somewhere. Ha, ha.

Return to Top
#1744277 - 09/26/12 02:57 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? Queen Mum
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
She would have loved you Fifty Shades of Forever!

oh please...women start this rumor, but ion reality the love only lasts until the next greatest shoe/handbag/clothes/car/trip/home/etc are seen and wanted...

Return to Top
#1744280 - 09/26/12 03:02 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
You are correct, happiness. smile

Return to Top
#1744644 - 09/27/12 01:02 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
Originally Posted By: rustygrizwold
Bump. Finally pulled the trigger this weekend on a new-to-us 2010 Audi A4 2.0T Quatro w/ the 6 speed manual. Lucky my wife drives this the majority of the time because I would end up walking after losing my license. I feel like a teenager when I actually get to drive it. Anyone out there been around these? From what I can find the main concern with these is the oil consumption from the turbo, but it doesn't appear to be a full blown epedemic. We bought it certified w/ up to 100k factory warranty so hopefully we can stay out of the shop. It had a super clean carfax and Autocheck though.

I had a 1.8T (the same engine with less bore) and it was a workhorse. It lasted me trouble free well past 100k. When it did finally have an issue it was nothing but some checkvalves that failed. Cheap fix. I should point out that mine was heavily tuned as well and it was still very reliable. You need to check out my friends down in Auburn, AL at APR. They are the #1 Audi/Porsche/VW go fast company. They provided all of my aftermarket parts. I would strongly recommend their ECU upgrade. It is cheap, adds a great deal of extra power, maintains its natural drivability and is not detectable by dealer software. You should see some of their AMLS race cars (R8 GT, S4, VW Golf).

That A4 was by far my favorite car. I have had two Audi's and a BMW and I will never own another BMW again. It was easily the worst car I have ever owned. You made an excellent choice. The only downside was the lack of stock power (even underpowered it is a blast to drive) but it can easily and cheaply be fixed with a stealth ECU upgrade. If you consider it I would also add the Valet map that drops the power to that of a lawn mower.

I am extremely jealous. I miss my Audis but I am saving now and it should only be two more years before my next one. They are worth the wait.

www.goAPR.com

Return to Top
#1744646 - 09/27/12 01:05 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? Retired DQ
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: DeeQ
You are correct, happiness. smile

as usual smirk

Return to Top
#1744687 - 09/27/12 02:01 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
rustygrizwold Offline
New Poster
Midwest
Tiger, tell me more about this ECU upgrade. You say it's not detectable either to void the warranty? That's scary but you have my attention. What is the valet map?

I was so happy that my wife liked this car. She was wanting an SUV like a Denali, but I was scared to death of what it would cost in gas as a daily driver. Plus, I didn't want to give up my 98 land cruiser. That's our weekend warrior and my precious. I would be so sad to see it go. It sounds like some people are getting over 30mpg w/ these A4s w/ the manual shift. Not bad if it's true and AWD to boot.

Return to Top
#1744752 - 09/27/12 03:33 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
I averaged 32mpg and I had a heavy foot. (2003 A4 1.8T APR Stage 3+)

APR's ECU upgrade is a software program designed to be controlled through your cruise control fob (at least at that time). It does nothing to the factory mapping. It overlays its own map over the factory and has the ability to be turned off completely so when you take the car in for servicing and they connect it to the diagnostic machine it only sees the factory default.

It is genius. Most other ECU upgrades are chips manually added to the ECU board that permanently remap the factory settings. APR was the first to use this new technique. Now more and more are trying it for obvious reasons.

They give you several options on mapping types (you can get all if you want). The standard is default/9 octane. They have a 93 octane and race (100 octane) map as well as the Valet map I mentioned before. The Valet is great for, well, valets as well as kids. It significantly drops the power so you do not have to worry about kids racing your car.

Call the guys at APR and speak with them. They love to talk cars and will answer any question you might have.

When I first met these guys 12 years ago there were about 5 guys working out of a rental garage in Auburn. They had been in business for 2-3 years and had designed only the ECU upgrade and an exhaust system. Now, they have a massive facility with their own test track. They have dealers throughout the US and have a huge global network as well. They field their own racing teams and build race cars for other teams. They have a wide variety of in house designed parts for almost all VW, Audi, Porsche, Seat, Skoda and the occasional Lamborghini.

They might not make the fastest cars but their reliability cannot be questioned. I know when I get my S6 in two years I am sending it straight to them to make it a monster.

I just checked and they are running a sale until October 14th on the ECU and select parts. Good luck, have fun and let me know if you decide to go that way. I am jealous. I miss my A4...

Return to Top
#1744760 - 09/27/12 03:37 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? Need Coffee
Peepers Offline
10K Club
do they have chips for trucks?

Return to Top
#1744763 - 09/27/12 03:41 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
At 93 octane the ECU upgrade jumps hp to 234hp from 200hp and torque to 333ft-lbs from 260ft-lbs with peak gains of 40 and 74 respectively. The price is $549.

Return to Top
#1744765 - 09/27/12 03:42 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
No Peepers, unfortunately they only work on the makes I mentioned above.

Return to Top
#1744767 - 09/27/12 03:48 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? Peepers
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Peepers
do they have chips for trucks?

Peepers, check out Troyer Performance for truck chips. I've not done a chip or tune on my truck, but know several people who have used this company and been very pleased.

Return to Top
#1744773 - 09/27/12 03:55 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
TJ, I don't want to click from work. Is it a local company? Is it a true chip, piggy back unit, or do they produce something like other truck "chips in a box" format that plugs into truck for manual parameter changes?

Return to Top
#1744787 - 09/27/12 04:18 PM Re: Which mid-sized sedan to buy new? rustygrizwold
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
They are from Virginia. The owner was on a message board for Ford F-150's that I used to frequent. They have several kinds of tuners and chips. They do custom tuning to increase power, fuel mileage and to help enhance performance of after market accessories as well if I recall. All I know is that a lot of the people on that board bought their stuff and were very happy with it and with the customer service they received.

Return to Top
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9