Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1723623 - 07/26/12 02:48 PM Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group...
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I am riding a Cannondale R3000 CAAD something or other that is a tad too big for me. Being a TT bike, the seat only goes down so far.

I have found a Storck Absolutist 1.0 full carbon frame, fork and seatpost for $750. I've never ridden full carbon, but I understand that it is a bit more forgiving than my aluminum frame?

Anyway, the frameset is 2 years old and sold for $2,250 in 2010. It was ridden in Crits all over Texas and Oklahoma as part of an amateur racing team. They were sponsored by Storck, so they rode their frames. They are now sponsored by Cannondale, so they have CAAD 10s.

It appears to be a better fit, but before I bite the bullet and spend $750 and start transferring all the parts from mine to this one, I'd like to hear some input from you experts. I know there are a few of you who know a LOT more than I do on the subject.

Thanks.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1723628 - 07/26/12 02:56 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Dont get it if it has training wheels!
That is pretty much the extent of my expertise. grin

Return to Top
#1723632 - 07/26/12 02:58 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
You lost me at "riding". laugh laugh I'll defer to the experts.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1723642 - 07/26/12 03:14 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Most of my riding is off road and I would not trust carbon.

From what I hear carbon is nice but for guys replace the seat post with AL as adjustments to the seat can cause unseen cracks to the post. Save the carbon post for racing.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1723645 - 07/26/12 03:15 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
::looks around for an expert::

I can't imagine spending that much money on a bike. $400 to $500 for used, and then you are going to change out the components, is about as far as I could see spending. Then again, it's all carbon but still is it really THAT much of a difference?? What kind of distances are you looking at riding, Pup?

Return to Top
#1723674 - 07/26/12 03:38 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Ed, I have a good seatpost, so I may take your advice and put the carbon up for the longer rides. I don't race...yet.

Danna, I want to get to the point where I can ride the 100 milers. Currently, I am looking to ride some 50 milers. I am wussing out this weekend and riding the short 25 miler...just to ride. It's not that I feel the need to upgrade. My bike is pretty flippin' sweet and expensive enough in its own right, but it is a little too tall for me. I inherited it, so my own cost in this new bike will simply be the cost of the frame, and if I sell the frame I have, much of that will be covered.

Come to think of it, BB1 would fit my current frame nicely...

Return to Top
#1723678 - 07/26/12 03:41 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I thought I had totally splurged when I spent $400 for my hybrid.

Return to Top
#1723694 - 07/26/12 03:57 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... swiggles
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
I was looking at bikes this weekend and saw a couple that were $8 grand. They didn't even have the sparkley streamers on the handgrips......

Return to Top
#1723743 - 07/26/12 04:40 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
Bank Angler Offline
Gold Star
Bank Angler
Just a short drive from Lake E...
Carbon Fiber frames are generally stiffer than aluminum ones. Great handling bikes though. Regardless of frame composition, the better the fit, the more comfortable you will be able to get on it.
|
|
¿ <°)))><

Return to Top
#1723752 - 07/26/12 05:12 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... 'Lil Freak!
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: 'Lil Freak!
I was looking at bikes this weekend and saw a couple that were $8 grand. They didn't even have the sparkley streamers on the handgrips......

I would love to show up for a 100 miler on a Pee Wee Herman bike, complete with big shoes, too small suit and a bow tie! smile

Return to Top
#1723937 - 07/26/12 09:30 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Bankbb1, PITA
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
My Felt AR5 is full carbon. I like the ride of it better than any aluminum or steel frame I have ever ridden. I have a really bad back and the carbon frames seem to absorb the road imperfections better than anything else.

What size frame are you riding now? What size frame is the new one? Have you ever been properly fitted for a road bike? It makes a world of difference.

Return to Top
#1723956 - 07/26/12 10:07 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I'm now changing clothes, getting on my cheap $400 bike and pedaling home. Good bye.

Return to Top
#1723962 - 07/26/12 10:19 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Bimmer
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Originally Posted By: Bimmer

What size frame are you riding now? What size frame is the new one? Have you ever been properly fitted for a road bike? It makes a world of difference.

All that ^^^^. I'm no expert, thus the reason I went to the bike shop and was fitted and rode 8 bikes before choosing Big Red. I have been on a few friends bikes that didnt fit...HUGE difference. HUGE!!!

Return to Top
#1723989 - 07/27/12 12:08 AM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
el guapo Offline
Gold Star
el guapo
I have a Puma Pico. It has a built in basket on the handlebars and folds in half. As for the seat issue, mine was a bit high too, so I took a hacksaw and trimmed off an inch. Seat is much more comfortable now.

Return to Top
#1724080 - 07/27/12 01:34 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... RR Jen
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: RR Jen

All that ^^^^. I'm no expert, thus the reason I went to the bike shop and was fitted and rode 8 bikes before choosing Big Red. I have been on a few friends bikes that didnt fit...HUGE difference. HUGE!!!
I've noticed that a LOT of people who ride bikes do not have the seat or the handle bars properly adjusted. Usually, they have the seat too low to where they're riding in a semi crouched position. I don't know what the rule is, but I like my knee to almost fully straighten when in the down position and I don't like my handle bars so low that I find myself leaning on them (my bike has "normal" handle bars....not curly Q's or straight "bar" handle bars).

Return to Top
#1724104 - 07/27/12 01:55 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Not getting fitted is like not having your gait analyzed. Sure you can do it, but you will enjoy your sport so much more if you have the right equipment, properly adjusted for you!

<<< Testing bikes this week. I still favor the Schwinn Stingray I had when I was 10! But it will likely be, a Motebecane, Trek or Specialized. I love the Felt and Masi, but as pretty as they are, they just dont "feel" right on me.

Return to Top
#1724156 - 07/27/12 02:41 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
Trees Offline
Power Poster
We had our Cannondales for 15 years and they are still going strong. We don't do much off road/mountain terraine, however. Never had problems with any of the workings. Proper fit, esp. the seats, are key. I still don't like my seat, esp. for longer trips. We have inlaws that travel 100s of miles on a tandem. They fold it up and it goes with them in its own suitcase, all over the US and Europe. It's carbon. It's over the top in price but its their hobby. I would say, if this is something you really enjoy, and do a lot of instead of, say, 2 times a year, them make the investment. Any chance you can do a test run first?

Return to Top
#1724178 - 07/27/12 03:11 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I'd suggest before dropping the money on a new frame that you consider what was already suggested, get a professional fit for your current bike. If you konw you current frame size, walk into a bike store and tell them you are thinking of an upgrade, tell them you don't know your current bike size, and they'll do a quick measurement on what frame you should be in. I was on a 58 and thought it was perfect, and when the frame broke, went to move the components over, and a refit put me on a 56. Big difference in comfort for the longer rides. Also, you meed ot make sure the steering tube is sized right for the type of riding you are doing.

That being said, my current bike (KHS) is a mix of aluminum and carbon, with the front fork and seat stays being carbon, and the rest aluminum. Very comfortable, have close to 7,000 miles on it. Old KHS had close to 9,000 on it. Both are much more comfy than my all-aluminum Trek ever was.

Also was in a bike shop last week, drooled over some of the newer models...i may skip a vacation next year and use that money on a new one. But, i'd also keep the old, hate to get rid of it.

Return to Top
#1724182 - 07/27/12 03:13 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... swiggles
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: swiggles
Originally Posted By: RR Jen

I've noticed that a LOT of people who ride bikes do not have the seat or the handle bars properly adjusted. Usually, they have the seat too low to where they're riding in a semi crouched position. I don't know what the rule is, but I like my knee to almost fully straighten when in the down position and I don't like my handle bars so low that I find myself leaning on them (my bike has "normal" handle bars....not curly Q's or straight "bar" handle bars).

The "Rules" are different depending on what/where/how/why you're riding.

For example, when riding a mountain bike (off road), the "Rules" are that your leg should be fully extended on the down stroke. When riding a road bike, however, that is not something that you want. Reason being is is that you spend a lot more time "in the saddle" on a road bike, and if you fully extended your leg, you would be rocking back and fourth on the saddle every time the pedals completed a rotation, and that can cause a lot of problems over long distances (saddle sores) eek

But, if you're just riding a fitness or hybrid type bike and are happy and comfortable with it, then don't worry about the "Rules"

Return to Top
#1724193 - 07/27/12 03:26 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
"But, if you're just riding a fitness or hybrid type bike and are happy and comfortable with it, then don't worry about the "Rules""

What about no talking on the iPhone "rule"?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1724208 - 07/27/12 03:43 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Rode my bike to work this morning. smile I want to go back out again!!

Return to Top
#1724218 - 07/27/12 03:50 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
I've never been fitted and have been wanting to find a shop that will do that, for sure.

I believe that my bike is a 56, but Mrs (to be) Pup says it is a 58. At 5'10", I think that a 58 is simply too big and a 56 or even a 55 would be easier to get fit to.

Trees, the frameset I'm looking at is not fitted with any componentry at this time, so a ride is out of the question.

Steve, I have found TONS of excellent bikes in the OKC metro area that would fit you. I hope you're looking there as well. I found a 54 cm Trek in Mustang for my neighbor...Ultegra components, $825.00....seems like a good deal, and we may be heading up this weekend to check it out.

Jen, I could never ride 8 different bikes and choose. I'd be sold on the first one that felt good and looked cool...I'm just too impulsive when it comes to buying "cool stuff".

I'll ride my bike tomorrow and love it for the short 25 miler, and I'll ride it in August in the Hotter n'[censored] Hundred (only 50 miles for me)...and I might even ride the MS 150 in September (the powers that be have scheduled me to train the bank on Security on that day, so it may not happen) on it, but if I can find a better fitting bike, I'll go that route over the winter.

Return to Top
#1724222 - 07/27/12 03:51 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Bimmer,

I adjusted the seat down just a tad for that reason and immediately felt a difference in overall energy and saddle comfort. I am feeling a little more knee soreness now, though. frown

Return to Top
#1724231 - 07/27/12 04:02 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
I've visited three shops all measured me at a 58cm but said a 57 with the right seat adjustment would be good. Test rides will happen this weekend.
I really do need one more sport to spend $$$$$ on! crazy laugh

Return to Top
#1724232 - 07/27/12 04:02 PM Re: Seeking advice from the cyclists in the group... Pup
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Pup, I'm 5'11" I ride a 54. I tried a 56 and it was entirely too big for me.

Where is the knee pain exactly? Inside, outside, front?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2