Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1724763 - 07/30/12 02:51 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics DD Regs
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
Mike and mike this morning was taling about an ap you can download that lets you watch whatever event you want.

You can do this at www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra/ I log into it with my Direct TV password. It hope the link works - it is blocked here (sports related smile ). But the live feed - depending on the event - is fraught with glitches and slow speed.
Last edited by QCL; 07/30/12 02:53 PM. Reason: live feed
Return to Top
#1724767 - 07/30/12 02:54 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics DD Regs
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
Mike and mike this morning was taling about an ap you can download that lets you watch whatever event you want.

I tried that Saturday. It didn't work for me. Noticed this morning that there is already an update for it.

They may be showing things on all different channels, but unless your subscription gives you those channels it doesn't do any good.

There is a major time difference I know, so why don't they just show stuff at prime time that happened during the day? Then in the middle of the night they could do all the interviews and rap-ups for those people who really want to hear that stuff.

Return to Top
#1724771 - 07/30/12 02:55 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics TINKerBell
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
ignoring lots of the commentary, was able to watch a lot of dressage using the livestream, and fun to catch lesser-known sports when possible.

I am sorry that Rowan Atkinson's comedy bit using the "Chariots of Fire" theme didn't get more publicity. My better half and I had to stop ourselves from laughing out loud while it went on and on and on....his physical comedy was wonderful!

Go USA! [and may all athletes and judges live up to the Olympic ideal)

Return to Top
#1724786 - 07/30/12 03:02 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics pjs
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: pjs
Seriously, the news folk were making me angry yesterday - sort of as an afterthought "well, to give credit where credit is due Lochte won the gold". What a backhanded compliment. They need to take their "favs" off of the pedistal they've put them on and just let them compete.

I like Phelps but seriously duh, he didn't train for the race against Lochte so he got what he deserved. The men's relay race .....oh so close.......thought they would pull it off- did not appreciate the commentators saying they didn't have a chance. The guys all swam well, and Lochte almost had it. Silver is good.
I love the gymanstics- girls- too.

Frankly, I LIKED Phelps, but his arrogant comment after he almost didn't qualify to even race the big race of "you don't win Gold in the morning" and acting like it didn't matter showed in how badly he was beaten later. He's already quit, and it shows.

Return to Top
#1724787 - 07/30/12 03:04 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics TINKerBell
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I like watching the Olympics!

Thats all.... smile

Return to Top
#1724789 - 07/30/12 03:04 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics TINKerBell
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I didn't like his "what toppings do i want on my sundae" comment either. I thought you went to the Olympics to do your best, win gold medals (or whatever medal your best performance could get you).

Return to Top
#1724792 - 07/30/12 03:08 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics TINKerBell
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I don't appreciate British humor, so much of the funny stuff during the opening ceremeony was lost on me. And what is up with sick kids in giant beds celebrating the National Health Service?

The whole thing was a bore....definitely going to skip the closing ceremonies...

Return to Top
#1724794 - 07/30/12 03:11 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics Pale Rider
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
I don't appreciate British humor, so much of the funny stuff during the opening ceremeony was lost on me. And what is up with sick kids in giant beds celebrating the National Health Service?

The whole thing was a bore....definitely going to skip the closing ceremonies...

I didn't get the NHS thing either. I liked the forging of the rings part, that was about it. I flipped back and forth between several channels that night and didn't see much else that was worth it....though I love Rowan Atkinson and wish I had seen him, just because he's hilarious. Was his act done as a Mr. Bean thing or something else?

Return to Top
#1724799 - 07/30/12 03:16 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics TINKerBell
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
yeah, he was in his Mr. Bean alter ego with the symphony and then getting bored and dreaming he was on the beach with the kids training for the race.....

Return to Top
#1724800 - 07/30/12 03:17 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics Dani York, CRCM
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Dani York
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
What is really a bad move by NBC is telling you that the US lost to France in the 4x100 freestyle, stay tuned to prime time tonight to watch the race. Umm...now that I know who won, why do I need to watch it?

And I have no idea what Bela Koroli (i'm sure that is spelled wrong) was doing ranting to Bob Costas about the gymnast who didn't make the all-around medal round. Okay, she may be the world champion, but blaming the judges for mis-grading her routine is really the cause for her losing? Not the fact that she had a poor performance in several of the events?

I wondered about this as well.....it is sad for the kid, but it would have been sad for another U.S. kid who didn't make it if that girl did make it. Was it unknown that only 2 kids per team would make it? No.

Bela's rant was mostly about how the IOC limits the all-around competition to 2 girls from each country. He was trying to point out that the top 24 girls in the universe of olympic gymnasts should go to the all-around regardless of country. And honestly, I agree with him. The top 24 girls should go regardless of what country they are from.

They always bring him on....1) he coached the 1st gymnast to receive 10s, and 2) he has a BIG mouth. smile

#3, he's also a hero for coaching the magnificent 7 gals including Kerri Strug to win an unlikely gold medal, and specifically for inspiring Kerri to be able to land a vault on a badly injured ankle in one of the most inspiring moments in Olympic History.

Oh, and I totally agree. If the Russian team fields five gymnasts who take 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, they should all get to compete for individual medals.

Return to Top
#1724802 - 07/30/12 03:18 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics Phoenix
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Phoenix
I am sorry that Rowan Atkinson's comedy bit using the "Chariots of Fire" theme didn't get more publicity. My better half and I had to stop ourselves from laughing out loud while it went on and on and on....his physical comedy was wonderful!

That was about the only watchable part of the opening ceremony prior to the actual raising on the torch.

I was incredibly disappointed with the opening ceremonies. China is still in my mind, and this fell FAR FAR short.

Return to Top
#1724817 - 07/30/12 03:40 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics TINKerBell
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
This is the first full opening ceremony that I watched- I thought forging of the rings was cool, and the Torch was AMAZING.

I downloaded an official app from the Olympics website. You don't get to watch the events, but it gives you all the scores, athlete info, medal counts, schedules, etc. I really like it. The only draw back is it doesn't give TV schedules since it's not affiliated with NBC.

Return to Top
#1724823 - 07/30/12 03:52 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider

The opening ceremonies are usualy done to showcase important history of the host country. What many are not aware was that for years after WW2, Britain was in a state of barely having enough to get by. Their country was in shambles, cities were bombed to nothing, many factories were unable to work due to bombing, people continued to live on rations far greater than the US ever did when the war was going on...no one had enough to eat, more than half of the population was unable to return to the job they had before the war, people were literally starving, even though they had won - along with the other Allies. In steps the plan to make sure everyone has proper care, they realized that people with all type of war-realted ailments were unable to get treatment, they needed to have a plan in place to make sure that everyone received proper medical treatment and would be alive to help Great Britain move forward.

Yes, their NHS is overburdened today, and nothing like what it used to be, but at the time, it helped move their country forward. There are numerous books on the subject, I'd suggest checking a couple out and reading them.

And our criticising it shows how little people of the US know about the history of the world outside our own geographic boundries...the world really doesn't revolve around us.

Return to Top
#1724829 - 07/30/12 04:13 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics HappyGilmore
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
And our criticising it shows how little people of the US know about the history of the world outside our own geographic boundries...the world really doesn't revolve around us.
Uh, no. My criticism is that regardless of content, the show was BORING, uninspired, and lacked entertainment value. China took us through a much longer period of history and culture, and blew us away with what they could do.

Return to Top
#1724833 - 07/30/12 04:18 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics TINKerBell
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Thankfully, Mary Poppins was able to vanquish all the demons attacking the children cared for by the NHS.

I was wondering if they would sing Jerusalem in the opening ceremonies. The children of Wales did a wonderful job of it.

Return to Top
#1724842 - 07/30/12 04:41 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics B_F
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
Originally Posted By: B_F
Uh, no. My criticism is that regardless of content, the show was BORING, uninspired, and lacked entertainment value. China took us through a much longer period of history and culture, and blew us away with what they could do.

Ditto. Just thought it was boring.

Apps

And here are the Apps I was talking about- I have the Results one. I think the Join In is really only good if you are IN London.
Last edited by Loralie; 07/30/12 04:42 PM.

Return to Top
#1724865 - 07/30/12 05:42 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics Loralie
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Iron Maiden should have opened the Olympics

Return to Top
#1724870 - 07/30/12 05:47 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics Peepers
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
I would have thought Elton John, or at least a medley of British music icons. I can understand the concept of McCartney, being older than Elton John, the Beatles being older that Rolling Stones, etc., but the key to sustaining interest in the games is attracting future generations.... JMHO....

Return to Top
#1724871 - 07/30/12 05:49 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics TINKerBell
Peepers Offline
10K Club
or Black Sabbath

Return to Top
#1724917 - 07/30/12 07:11 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics edAudit
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Originally Posted By: Mr A_G-DDD

Blocked for sports. "grill"?

wassa' matter, gramps? not familiar with the "grill" bling? smirk

Return to Top
#1724922 - 07/30/12 07:16 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics Dani York, CRCM
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Originally Posted By: Dani York
that she had a poor performance in several of the events?

Bela's rant was mostly about how the IOC limits the all-around competition to 2 girls from each country. He was trying to point out that the top 24 girls in the universe of olympic gymnasts should go to the all-around regardless of country. And honestly, I agree with him. The top 24 girls should go regardless of what country they are from.

totally agree...stupid rule

it should be about the "best" being able to compete based on their scores....

not about making sure each country entered in the competition is represented

Return to Top
#1724928 - 07/30/12 07:22 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics Miscuit
Peepers Offline
10K Club
everyone should get a medal!

Return to Top
#1724932 - 07/30/12 07:23 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics Peepers
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
laugh

and we don't keep score!

Return to Top
#1725214 - 07/31/12 02:26 PM Re: 2012 London Olympics TINKerBell
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
projected total of U.S. medals is 100, with China second at 94 and Russia with 80....

somebody is not only keeping score, but projecting as well..

Return to Top
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6