Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1725583 - 07/31/12 08:04 PM Internet Scam - File a SAR?
Bee Cee Offline
Looks like our elderly customer was a victim of a Nigerian 419 scam via wire transfer. He said his wife to be (he never met her) is on her way to America via London from Nigeria. We have no suspect info. Anyone have their customers victimized and would you file a SAR? Thanks.

“Chance favors only the mind that is prepared”. Louis Pasteur

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1725592 - 07/31/12 08:14 PM Re: Internet Scam - File a SAR? Bee Cee
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
Top of the world... and never ...
I wouldn't file a SAR... based on the $25,000 no-suspect threshold. Just my opinion though.

Cheers!

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

Return to Top
#1725594 - 07/31/12 08:17 PM Re: Internet Scam - File a SAR? Bee Cee
CrashDavis Offline
Gold Star
Go to the FinCen Website and go to Depository Institutions and search for Nigerian 419. You will get all kind of information on what to do and who to report this to. I agree what AFaquir said that no SAR would need to be filed. I cannot put my hands on the directive from FinCen that came out several years ago but they said do not file a SAR unless a loss has been taken.

Return to Top
#1725683 - 08/01/12 11:36 AM Re: Internet Scam - File a SAR? Bee Cee
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Here's the index to SAR related subjects discussed in FinCEN publications. I'm not certain this meets the standard definition of a 419 scam, but "advance fees" is the first topic listed so you will be able to judge.

You did not provide an amount or any indication whether your customer lost money (relevant if this is determined to be a 419 filing), so there is no way to be certain whether a SAR is necessary.

As soon as your customer accepts the fact she isn't coming, he can file his own report here.

Return to Top
#1726057 - 08/01/12 07:01 PM Re: Internet Scam - File a SAR? Bee Cee
BSA Chic Offline
Louisiana
Ok, the guidance says "if a monetary loss has not been incurred"--by the bank? or the customer? or either?

Our customer will not admit that he is a victim of a scam so I doubt he will report it! We thought about advising our local police division that deals with elder fraud but we aren't sure what to disclose. We cannot convince him of the scam so likely the police can't either!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z